Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Letter from teacher *edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies
Thank you to those of you who had suggestions for me. I did change the letter somewhat. I added a positive paragraph to the beginning and fixed/tweaked the grammar here and there. I did speak on the phone briefly with X's parent. Parent was busy but was glad to have a heads up about the letter and we set up a conference. Again, I do appreciate those of you who offered critiques and suggestions. It was nice to get an outside point of view.
FYI- I did not update the letter below. Below is the original unrevised version.
Thoughts on this letter please:

Dear ____,

I wanted to make you aware of some behaviors in class that are of great concern to me.

X is making it increasingly difficult for me to teach in my classroom. X is constantly making noises and distracting other students. For example, today I was teaching the class how to introduce a character in a story. Every time I turned my back to write on the board x would get up out of x seat and do something, I’m not sure what, to cause the other students to laugh. X was doing everything in x power to bring the focus of the classroom to self.

Another behavior that has me concerned is x talking out. X will purposefully answer no when the answer is yes. An example, “Do you want to have an extra recess?” and x answers, no. I realize this is not a big deal, but I typically teach this way. I ask a question, knowing the answer and x will always answer the opposite, simply to get attention either from me or the other students. Other times I am asking questions and x blurts answers out rather than waiting to be called on or giving another student the opportunity to answer. This is a great source of frustration.

Also, x is very destructive of x supplies. X will tear an eraser into minuscule pieces and throw bits of eraser across the room or at other students. I have seen x push erasers and pencils up into x nose just for attention. X will sharpen a pencil simply to have a reason to get out of x seat, even if the pencil does not need sharpening. If x is questioned about this, x will purposefully break the point of the pencil so that it in fact does need sharpening. I realize they are x supplies to do with as x chooses, but I wanted you to be aware of what is going on with x supplies.

X has a constant need for attention whether it is negative or positive. X can be a great asset to our classroom. X is a smart, fun, loving child. However, x negative behaviors are overshadowing x positive traits.

I would very much appreciate if you would speak to x about this behavior. I am available for a conference if you would like to speak with me as well. If you would like to meet you may call to set up a time.

Thank you,

The teacher
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ATALHEA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is the child? Is he having any issues at home? Certainly go in and talk to the teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you writing this letter to a parent, or did you receive this letter from a teacher?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like the kid is terrible and the teacher finally decided to speak up. She can't take much more of his antics. The child may be lacking attention at home. It's no excuse for bad manners and disruptive behavior. How old is the child?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be pissed she sent home a letter and not a request for a face to face conference.

If those are really issues she has then she needs to communicate in a more professional way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Hmmm
wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I would rather receive a short note asking me for a conference about my child.
teaspring
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This

Quoting RLT2:

Are you writing this letter to a parent, or did you receive this letter from a teacher?

singlemom1208
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM
5 moms liked this
I think that mom needs to have a nice little chat with X and that behavior should not be tolerated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM
What if you've had at least ten conferences with this parent? Plus face to face, phone calls, quick chats after school.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would be pissed she sent home a letter and not a request for a face to face conference.

If those are really issues she has then she needs to communicate in a more professional way.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I am a teacher as well. Have you previously contacted the parents regarding this student' s behavior? If so, I would included that somewhere. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN