Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids in kindergarten

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 64 Replies
Do they have to take naps?? My son isn't in kindergarten yet just in headstart but he will not take a nap there. And when they try to make him he has meltdowns he has ADHD and ODD which makes his meltdowns ridiculous so I have to pick him up early everyday making it pretty impossible for me to go back to work. I am frustrated with it and my husband was telling me that in kindergarten they have to take naps and I will still end up having to pick him up early when he starts there. Just wondering...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Isn't he in headdress because of his issues? They need to find something that works for him at naptime, not just give up on him, how awful. A quiet activity? A book? A special stuffed animal?

As far a k, each school is different. There is usually a rest/ quiet time, but they don't usually sleep.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

As far as any schools I know the kindergarten curriculum is more rigorous now days and they do not nap anymore

xXxLillithxXx
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM
He's in headstart along with a special program called leap twice a week where they pick him up at school and he goes to a 2 hour smaller class for behavior issues and he sees his therapist. But yeah they are sympathetic to his issues but they can't have him throwing a fit disturbing the other kids and they say they are understaffed and don't have someone to sit with him during naptime so I have to pick him up early. He's improved a great deal since starting medication but not enough to be able to stay the full day I guess :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't he in headdress because of his issues? They need to find something that works for him at naptime, not just give up on him, how awful. A quiet activity? A book? A special stuffed animal?

As far a k, each school is different. There is usually a rest/ quiet time, but they don't usually sleep.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Where I teach, rest time is 30 min and they don't have to sleep but have to be quiet. They phase it out by Christmas. 

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

They don't in my son's kindergarten class. 

Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Mine didn't
amanda357
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
No naps here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
No..
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Nope, not in our Kinder anyway. Which was such a relief for us. I have an adhd baby too, who stopped taking naps at daycare around 15 months. To the point where work (i worked at his daycare) made my schedule 7am till noon so I coulda pick him up before nap because it was such an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Our school does NOT have naptime for k. We used to about 8 years ago bit I think that w/ no child left behind there isn't time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)