Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You have $94

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
To grocery shop for 1 month. Family of 5, one is a year old. No allergies. What do you buy?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Walmart, Weis Market & Giant food store.
And various dollar stores.
Not many options. I wish we had an aldis.

Quoting Duckyteers:

What stores can you get to?

Quoting Anonymous:

Pennsylvania

Quoting Duckyteers:

Where do live?

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. We make too much now that we started getting disability for my oldest son. Same for food stamps. I was trying to figure it out without using any of "his" money so that can go towards other things for him. If that makes sense.

We were only on fs and wic a short time trying to get back on our feet but the minute his disability kicked in they took it all away, not that we got much anyways.

No bashing please. One child is in school.

I have the basics, cases of water, flour, sugar, seasonings, some canned/frozen veggies, some pastas and stuff. Probably enough random stuff to through together to get us by for a month anyways. Was just looking for some options, what others would do.

I just feel guilty using money that is for ds1 to feed the family.

Quoting Duckyteers:

Do you get Wic?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Make a menu/ list and print coupons! Also, there are healthy and cheap options. Turkey sausage is $2 instead of beef or pork which is easily $4 or $5. Lentils are .59 and make 2 meals. A chicken can make two full meals, then boil the bones down to make a broth, add veggies and noodles and you have meal number 3! Just a few ideas. Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

One kid in school.

Only have Walmart, Giant Food & Weis Store.

Quoting Anonymous:

Id have to know what I.had on hand.

(Flour, sugar, can food, frozen, basic pantry, seasonings and how many kids in school!

Also.what stores you have.

lexxie28
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM
You buy formula for the month and go to the food bank for the rest.....you and husband do not of course....if there is anything left over afterwards buy lentils. At 28 cents a pound they should help keep you out of the. Hospital. Apply for food stamps. Ps can only go to a food bank once a month...you get about a three day supply.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
That does make sense. It does just make me feel guilty, idk why.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

I know you feel that it is 'his' money, and that's true in some respects, but that money is meant to help support him. It's like state child support, that's how my worker explained it to me for my son. So after all of his financial needs are met what is left over to help out the household. The household he lives in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. We make too much now that we started getting disability for my oldest son. Same for food stamps. I was trying to figure it out without using any of "his" money so that can go towards other things for him. If that makes sense.

We were only on fs and wic a short time trying to get back on our feet but the minute his disability kicked in they took it all away, not that we got much anyways.

I have the basics, cases of water, flour, sugar, seasonings, some canned/frozen veggies, some pastas and stuff. Probably enough random stuff to through together to get us by for a month anyways. Was just looking for some options, what others would do.

Quoting Duckyteers:

Do you get Wic?
thatsamorex2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I hope you can do it on so little.There is only three of us here and I spend over $600 a month on food.I would make lots of pasta dishes,soups and do cheap cereals/home made pancakes for breakfast if I had to try and make it on that little.I hope things get better for you soon.Good luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM
eggs and potatoes!! I can't do less than $100 for a week!!
areles
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Quoting RollingStone:

Beer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Potted meats, bread, milk, ramen. 

and anything available at the dollar store. 

babyksmom1019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Meal plan. Buy whole chickens, don't buy separate pieces. Buy as much as possible with your $94 then whatever you go over use his disability. That's to help you feed and care for him. I make a meal plan for 30/31 days and shop based on that. Try buying powdered milk opposed to gallons. Milk is high here. Good luck Momma!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Duckyteers:

Do you get Wic?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Rice, Beans, Quiona, fruits and veggies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)