Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found my daughter blue in the face, hanging from her window!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

This is no joke! I will start by saying that my house is super baby/child proofed. We have taken every precaution we could think of, gone down safety checklists....ESPECIALLY in the children's bedroom!

Well last night my husband and I were sitting downstairs in the living room. It was about bed time and the kids were playing in their room after dinner like they usually do. No weird sounds, no fighting. All of the sudden we hear this blood curdling scream! A not like "oh, the kids are fighting or arguing or playing scream" No I mean an "I am dying or seriously injured" scream.

The two of us tore up the stirs so fast and what do we find!? Our 4yr old daughter HANGING from her window, purple in the face, with the cord for her shades wrapped around her leg, torso and neck! My husband dashed over and lifted her up. We quickly untangled her and checked her out, called the doctor, etc. She is ok. Thank God!

But I am distraught! I know she's ok but what if she had not been able to scream!? I don't even know how she was able to under these circumstances! Her 2 year old brother was standing there in silent horror! We heard nothing and we were directly beneath them in the living room! This could have been tragic!

And before the bashing begins! We have the "safety" hook that we wind the strings of the blinds around so that they are NOT hanging and not a danger. And we've talked with her about playing safely and not to touch the blinds, not to put anything around her or her brother's neck. I mean she's almost 4.....she only listens to, or retains, so much......She intentionally unwound the cord from the hook and said she was "playing rescuer"! I assume some kind of "Tarzan" or "Rescuers Down Under" thing was involved here.  We were so careful and yet our daughter could have died last night....

I feel like I have failed in some way even though I don't know what I could have done differently.....

**UPDATE** We rent and are not allowed to change the blinds but we immediately inscrewed the hook from the wall and remounted it MUCH higher so she cannot reach it to unravel the cord. Heck, I can barely reach it myself.....We will be speaking to the property manager about them. They are actually in the process of doing a big renovation on all the townhomes in our community so I think now is the perfect time to ask! Thank you guys for all the support!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
3mommyandwifey
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Wow that's the scariest thing any mom would have to see. Glad she is OK.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Thank goodness you found her. You did everything you could do. ((Hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firstimepreg30
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

scarey...  we have blinds in every room there is a danger i never would have thought of...   glad she is ok, thanks for sharing

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Bump
428pm
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM

so scary! So happy you found her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg. That's terrifying. I'm glad she's okay. Use this as a lesson to teach her that Mommy and Daddy tell her not to do things to keep her safe, not to be mean.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Glad she is ok. But this is where we have to remind ourselves that our children do not live in bubbles. Despite my parents best efforts, I broke my leg at 18months, my arm at 8 and dislocated my kneecap at 14. It's torture seeing them injured, but I was sitting right next to the bed reading to my son when he decided to head dive into the head board of his bed. 

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

They have blinds that don't have a string, you just push up from the bottom. That is what we have in our children's room because our ds2 liked to climb and unhook the cord just like your dd did.
Thank God she was okay! Scary! 

HipLikeJunk
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

That is utterly terrifying! I'm so glad she is okay!

I worry about something like that happening with my 2yo, he loves to put things around his neck :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I'm glad she's ok! I specifically told the designers no cords on blinds when out house was being built. I ended up going with no blinds at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)