Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found my daughter blue in the face, hanging from her window!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

This is no joke! I will start by saying that my house is super baby/child proofed. We have taken every precaution we could think of, gone down safety checklists....ESPECIALLY in the children's bedroom!

Well last night my husband and I were sitting downstairs in the living room. It was about bed time and the kids were playing in their room after dinner like they usually do. No weird sounds, no fighting. All of the sudden we hear this blood curdling scream! A not like "oh, the kids are fighting or arguing or playing scream" No I mean an "I am dying or seriously injured" scream.

The two of us tore up the stirs so fast and what do we find!? Our 4yr old daughter HANGING from her window, purple in the face, with the cord for her shades wrapped around her leg, torso and neck! My husband dashed over and lifted her up. We quickly untangled her and checked her out, called the doctor, etc. She is ok. Thank God!

But I am distraught! I know she's ok but what if she had not been able to scream!? I don't even know how she was able to under these circumstances! Her 2 year old brother was standing there in silent horror! We heard nothing and we were directly beneath them in the living room! This could have been tragic!

And before the bashing begins! We have the "safety" hook that we wind the strings of the blinds around so that they are NOT hanging and not a danger. And we've talked with her about playing safely and not to touch the blinds, not to put anything around her or her brother's neck. I mean she's almost 4.....she only listens to, or retains, so much......She intentionally unwound the cord from the hook and said she was "playing rescuer"! I assume some kind of "Tarzan" or "Rescuers Down Under" thing was involved here.  We were so careful and yet our daughter could have died last night....

I feel like I have failed in some way even though I don't know what I could have done differently.....

**UPDATE** We rent and are not allowed to change the blinds but we immediately inscrewed the hook from the wall and remounted it MUCH higher so she cannot reach it to unravel the cord. Heck, I can barely reach it myself.....We will be speaking to the property manager about them. They are actually in the process of doing a big renovation on all the townhomes in our community so I think now is the perfect time to ask! Thank you guys for all the support!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM

That is scary.. I can't imagine the image that's burned into your psyche right now. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm glad it wasn't worse, too. Makes me want to take all the blinds down and just layer curtains over the windows...

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM
When thr blinds are drawn just cut the cords to the top. I am glad she's ok but I would not leave a two and almost four year old to play on a different floor out of real earshot.
livric
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

WOW I am shaking for you mama!!!!  that must of been sooo awful for all of you!!!   I am really glad your DD is ok.   I do suggest you change those blinds asap....  

sheymann
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Yikes! That's so scary!! You did not fail at all, things happen, no matter how hard we try.

See if you can move the hook so it's out of her reach if telling her "no" doesn't work.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I can not imagine how awful and terrified you feel. We have blinds and I tied them at the very top of the windows so they can not reach them. If I ever feel like letting in the light I will untie them. I haven't yet. I have an open kitchen that lets in plenty of light through the windows. I took down the blinds in the children's rooms because I was so scared of this. Glad she is ok.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Get rid of the blinds. Seriously. My daughter did this. Well, she didn't wrap it up all like that, but had them tight around her neck. It could be SO BAD. Just get rid of the blinds. You don;t need them!

samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I have a pair of boots like that and I never even thought of something like that happening, soooo glad I read your post.

Quoting msalice_21:

I once had a pair of boots that had two strings with fuzzy ball things on the ends that your wrap around the boot. Well my son got ahold of it when it was setting on my bed. He wrapped it around his neck. Scared the shit out of me! I got rid of those boots and kept him closer to me after that.

MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Very common. If you special ordered them have the cord length reduced toothed minimum length by the manufacturer. If not, you should trim them yourself. I used to work for a window shade manufacturer. I heard this a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gwynyth
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD did that when she was one...from the bay window... My dad had a great idea. He attached the cords to the walls with plastic binders used for holding wires and cords together. They were tight to the wall but could be adjusted still. I'll post a pic when I'm off mobile.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Scarrry
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN