Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drug testing at birth?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My friend had her baby and kept it, during her pregnancy she had O.Ded and smoked, drank and took pills. She did not lose her baby to CPS till the baby was a year old because she is clearly an unfit mother. We live in Dallas Tx and I am just wondering do they even test you or your baby? Do you have to give them concent? I hear about women doing drugs during their pregnancy and still have their baby and keep them. Have you done drugs or smoked pot druing your pregnancy and not had your baby taken? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Replies (11-16):
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM
I know a girl that had her urine tested when she was pregnant and it came back positive for marijuana. They threatened to call cps and did another test later in the pregnancy. I don't think they test babies at birth unless it's court ordered.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM

How do you know they didn't test you?

Quoting shylynn22:

Im in dallas. tbey didnt tezt mine. but i wouldn't have a problem with it. I dont do drugs.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM

In NY if  you have a open ACS/CPS case and are pregnant, they will test the baby at birth

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I smoked weed regularly while pregnant with both of my children.  they were both tested when they were born, they both had positive results, and I went home with both of them two days afterwards.  cps here doesn't really care as long as there isn't another case against you.  if there was, then I would have had to take some sort of parenting classes but I still would have been able to take them both home.

and no, they do not need consent to test your newborn.  do you think anyone whose child was going to have a positive test would consent?

Gingerbell.RN
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM
I'm a labor and delivery nurse in Illinois. We collect part of the umbilical cord at every birth and keep them until discharge. If any drug use is suspected we send them to lab to be processed.

We also do urine drug screens on women who have history or just are acting strange. You do not have to have consent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deepthinker
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:01 AM

They only drug test babies in my state if the baby has low apgar scores, was born premature, has other health issues, or the mother is a known drug addict or known for drug use.

They did a drug test on my first child because she was premature.  They checked her meconium because it's noninvasive.  They didn't do it for my son because he was full term.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)