Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this way out of line to ask? Update in BLUE

Posted by   + Show Post

*****Yes the dogs are mine, but they are just as much mine as they are my dads.  When i moved out, my dad didnt want to part with them or split them up.  Also two of them are older dogs, my yorkie is ten and my shep/ab mix is 9. 

I have three dogs that live with my parents.  (a shep/lab, cocker spaniel and a yorkie) they are great dogs, they get along with people and eachother.  They adore all of us too.  And my dad is a mush, he treats thm like they are his other children. 

anyways, my brother and sil want to ttc she just had a miscarriage but she def wants to try again sooner rather than later.  they live with my parents in the basement apartment.  the dogs do NOT go down there to the basement apartment. 

my sil isnt an animal lover.  she asked my brother to ask our parents if they would reconsider rehoming th dogs so that when they do have a baby she wouldnt have to worry about the three of them not accepting the baby.  my brother mentioned it to my dad and i agree with my dad. he told him hell no, if you are that concerned move out.  now my mom is split down the middle. she goes back and forth on how to feel.

is it just me or was that really messed up of her to ask to get rid of the dogs, all of them we had since puppies. 

***ETA***  my dad is still sticking to his guns.  my mom said shes staying out of it.  its between them.  i told my dad that my boyfriend and i can take on the dogs and my dad said no, that they are staying where they are.  and if it ever did come down to that i better make room for my dad because he doesnt want to let the dogs go.  my sil hasnt spoken to my parents now in a few days and because she hasnt my brother hasnt made an attempt to speak to them either.  i think thats why my mom is going back and forth, she doesnt want to see her kids mad at her. 

*****UPDATE***** My sil went crying to my mom saying how she wants my parents to be a part of the babies life when its here.  but with three dogs she wont be able to bring the baby around.  she doesnt trust dogs around young kids and infants.  so she cried, to my mother who caved in and said she will do what she can. so my mom brought it up to my dad today and my dad laughed and said that my mom can move in with them when they get a new place away from the dogs.  my dad also made it clear that letting them move into the basement apartment was to help them save up $ and get on their feet.  not to stay there forever and make it their own.   my dads done with kids in the house, he raised his.  both my brother and sil arent speaking to my dad.  they didnt even wish him a happy birthday over this. 

Update:  My brother told my mom that if they move out under these circumcstances that he talked to his wife and they agreed my family and i will have no contact with their future children.  how fucked up is that? so my mom doesnt want that to happen and she and my dad are at eachothers throats over the dogs.

my brother and my dad had a sit down talk today. my brother is defending his wifes wishes.  so my dad told him maybe its time for them to look for their own place.  then my brother drops the bomb on them, my sil quit her job a week after her miscarriage.  she hasnt returned to work.  they can afford to pay my parents rent because its so cheap, but not rent elsewhere.  shes looking for a job, and under my brothers insurance and all.  so my dad said well you have a few choices, tell her to take any job and get out of the house, stay here, and accept that if you have a baby, the dogs stay, or keep it wrapped up til you get out on your own becaise im not changing my mind over this.  crazy crazy!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Replies (51-60):
Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Your sil seems to be overstepping her bounds. I agree with you and your dad.

gemikris82
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Why do YOUR dogs live with your parents?  I don't get it.  Do you also live with your parents? It doesn't sound like it.

If you have three dogs, take them to your place.  Problem solved.   If you are not allowed to have them because you rent, then get rid of them.

there all of our dogs.  my dad would never let me take them away from him. the only time they can sleep at my place is if my parents go away.

Lalalie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Those are a few weird situations.

Why are they trying to concieve while living with other people?

If they are your dogs, why don't they live with you?

Really the decision is up to your mother and father and what they want, since it is their home. I think it's selfish for her to try to have a baby while living with someone else, and even more selfish for her to ask them to give up THEIR dogs, but if they are your dogs then it's selfish for you to expect your parents to continuously provide for them.

lullabylily
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM
They can move out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Quoting Lalalie:

Those are a few weird situations.

Why are they trying to concieve while living with other people?

If they are your dogs, why don't they live with you?

Really the decision is up to your mother and father and what they want, since it is their home. I think it's selfish for her to try to have a baby while living with someone else, and even more selfish for her to ask them to give up THEIR dogs, but if they are your dogs then it's selfish for you to expect your parents to continuously provide for them.

they live in a 2 bedroom basement apartment.  they dont share anything wtih my parents.  they hav there own enterence, living room, kitchen and bathroom.  so its not like they are on top of eachother or anything like that.

and my dad wont let me take them, they belong to all of us. the oldest one is 10 years old, then 9 and then 4.  i wanted to take two of the three wtih me but my dad wouldnt let me split them up either.

LoveOfSign
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Uhmm... hell no, if you want no dogs around-move the hell out. Get your own place don't try to run someone else's house screw that.

pittiesmom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM
2 moms liked this
lol, maybe you should edit your original post so you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

If I was your dad, I'd gently let SIL know that the dogs aren't leaving and that it is silly for her to even worry about it when the dogs don't even go into her part of the living space. Perhaps she's grief stricken and not thinking straight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzingah36
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL! My father(r.i.p) would've done the same thing! (Got rid of my mother before he'd get rid off his hound dogs). Good luck hon,I do hope everything smoothes over a d if sil is so concerned maybe she needs to move.

Quoting gemikris82:

my father would get rid of my mom before the dogs.  he doesnt want to get rid of them. when i moved out i was going to bring 2 of the three and my dad wouldnt let me. 

Quoting elzingah36:

I don't blame either of you. What about your mother though,to "not rock the boat" with her son and DIL,you think she might try to talk your dad into re-housing the dogs?
(Not saying anything bad about your mother at all. Just know a lot of mom's try to "keep the peace" ).

Quoting gemikris82:

im pissed right now.  so is my dad.

Quoting elzingah36:

Oh I see...my opinion still stands regardless,very selfish of her to make your brother ask on top of that. It's her request,regardless of being selfish,she didn't even have the balls to ask herself...coward!

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting elzingah36:

IMO it is way out of line to ask. I hope your father sticks to his guns and keeps his foot down. Are they your dogs or your parents?.I'm a little confused who the dogs belong to.

all of us.  i had them since they were puppies, the oldest two are 9 and 10 and one is 4.  when i moved out my dad wouldnt let me tak them all and he wont let me split them up, since they are all buddies

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Quoting pittiesmom:

lol, maybe you should edit your original post so you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

If I was your dad, I'd gently let SIL know that the dogs aren't leaving and that it is silly for her to even worry about it when the dogs don't even go into her part of the living space. Perhaps she's grief stricken and not thinking straight?

i dont know what shes thinking tbh.  allwhat i know is that my dad loves those dogs more than any of us.

krayzbabylove
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be mad too.. in fact, I am in a horrible mood, pretty mad already, so I will be mad with you!

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Completely out of line. Who does that? Seriously!?

besides her lol i never met anyone who would say such a thing.  i mean if my parents had to move in with my brother and her in their house thats one thing. but thats not the case. asking my parents to do that is fucked up.  my dad put in a 2 bedroom apartment in the basement for thim. he worked on it by himself, so they can live comfortably and not have to worry about rent or anything, then she asks this. im mad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)