Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

¥ eta ¥ ugh a mom sent her kid to school

SICK , my dd said he was sick from homeroom until lunch when they sent him home, Monday and now...

My kid is sick :( she woke me up at 1245 saying my tummy hurts and then "blahhhh" she started throwing up and hasn't stopped. And now it is going south.

It wouldn't be so bad but and I say BUT I always worry about aspiration with my dd beacuase of her weak lungs. When she throws up it is so scary. Her disability just makes lung infections so scary :( buy she is finally sleeping so, hopefully she'll be ok.

Ugh, lesson to moms, keep your kids home when sick!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ETA

1) my kid is 8 yes I know about incubation periods of illness

2) you're a parent there is never an excuse to.send a kid thAt you know is sick I.e fever within 24hrs, vomitting within 24 hrs etc to class

3) we do have a nurse, the nurse was notified he wasn't vomitting all over the room. 

4) believe it or not my 8yr old is VERY reliable honest and trustworthy. I believe her. why would she come hone and tell me this. as soon as I walked into the school she and the ASP teacher mentioned it to me. several kids were discussing it. why are kids discredited. my child has no reason to lie to me

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Yea. I understand that. It would have Ben different had she not said he was throwing up when he got there :( the poor baby shouldn't have been at class imo

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

You know if I were you i would be pissed at a school that 1) has no school nurse and 2) didn't send the kid home sooner-why is it the Mother's fault-and what grade level is this?

LadySaphira
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Ok whatever. I already said he was throwing up as soon as he got there. I can't keep saying this. But ok.

And your point is invalid about her going o bed. Smh

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Why did you put your daughter to bed in her own room if she was sick? Isn;t that dangerous?

Oh wait she wasn't sick when she went to bed-just like this kid might not have been sick when he went to school.  THE teacher decides when a kid sould be sent home-( or the school nurse) it isn't the choice of the child.  My  younger son went to the nurses office with a tummy ache-was sent back to class after lying down and then back to the nurses office where he vomited and I was called in to get him.....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I see it is a third grade class-I would ream out the teacher for allowing him to stay and not sending him to the nurses office-and IF there is no nurse in an epementary school-wel that is just unacceptable-completely.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Yeah I doubt that.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

My 3rd grader told me. It was her classmate. He sits behind her. He was throwing up in the classroom sink and then in his bookbag.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

how do you know he got  sick at school? And how do you know a kid was sick?

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Thank goodness her neurologist gave us some of that stuff that dissolves on her tongue. it has stopped the vomiting for now. im hoping it is a 24 hr thing. Ugh it is gross :(

Quoting LadySaphira:

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Doubt what you want. I believe my child. What purpose would she have to lie to me. What purpose would the ASP teacher have to lie about it.

This isn't a debate lady. It is a simple keep your kid home if it is sick post.

Was this your son or do you send your kids to class sick? Defensive much

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Yeah I doubt that.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

My 3rd grader told me. It was her classmate. He sits behind her. He was throwing up in the classroom sink and then in his bookbag.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

how do you know he got  sick at school? And how do you know a kid was sick?

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM
This is what I was going to say. With a stomach virus you can be contagious days before any symptoms show, and depending on which virus they could be contagious for up to two weeks even when the symptoms are gone. Honestly, for me, I look at it as something that's going to happen, but at least they will build immunities to the virus. It's definitely no fun watching your kid sick as a dog, and having to deal with the cleaning and possibility of getting sick too though... And I would be a bit more worried if my kids had other health issues it could affect. It sucks for everyone involved.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM
This... I had this happen once... dd was fine when I sent her to school and during morning attendance she started to feel sick and threw up. I am a sahm so I went and got her right away. Could be that kid was fine and then got sick at school and took the parents longer to leave work and pick up child. It happens. If I kept dd home all the time for just in case she would never go. Chances are kid was contagious days before illness struck

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Incubation periods on common illnesses like cold and flu vary a lot.   Some are a day, some are 2-3 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)