Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

¥ eta ¥ ugh a mom sent her kid to school

SICK , my dd said he was sick from homeroom until lunch when they sent him home, Monday and now...

My kid is sick :( she woke me up at 1245 saying my tummy hurts and then "blahhhh" she started throwing up and hasn't stopped. And now it is going south.

It wouldn't be so bad but and I say BUT I always worry about aspiration with my dd beacuase of her weak lungs. When she throws up it is so scary. Her disability just makes lung infections so scary :( buy she is finally sleeping so, hopefully she'll be ok.

Ugh, lesson to moms, keep your kids home when sick!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ETA

1) my kid is 8 yes I know about incubation periods of illness

2) you're a parent there is never an excuse to.send a kid thAt you know is sick I.e fever within 24hrs, vomitting within 24 hrs etc to class

3) we do have a nurse, the nurse was notified he wasn't vomitting all over the room. 

4) believe it or not my 8yr old is VERY reliable honest and trustworthy. I believe her. why would she come hone and tell me this. as soon as I walked into the school she and the ASP teacher mentioned it to me. several kids were discussing it. why are kids discredited. my child has no reason to lie to me

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
nikkik526
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Sorry. I hate when ppl do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Quoting Barronbaby:

This... I had this happen once... dd was fine when I sent her to school and during morning attendance she started to feel sick and threw up. I am a sahm so I went and got her right away. Could be that kid was fine and then got sick at school and took the parents longer to leave work and pick up child. It happens. If I kept dd home all the time for just in case she would never go. Chances are kid was contagious days before illness struck

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

One of my kids had abdominal migranes-bellyache -head ache-vomit-sleep feel great.  I still had to get him and keep him home the next day.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM

sounds like you are the defensive one. But no I don't believe some kid was throwing up all over class and the teacher did nothing. 

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Doubt what you want. I believe my child. What purpose would she have to lie to me. What purpose would the ASP teacher have to lie about it.

This isn't a debate lady. It is a simple keep your kid home if it is sick post.

Was this your son or do you send your kids to class sick? Defensive much

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Yeah I doubt that.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

My 3rd grader told me. It was her classmate. He sits behind her. He was throwing up in the classroom sink and then in his bookbag.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

how do you know he got  sick at school? And how do you know a kid was sick?

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM
My ds1 got a nasty tummy bug.... it lasted 24 hours but kicked his butt he ended up in er for dehydration after I tried for a few hours to keep water in him. I hope she feels better soon
Quoting justpeachy71904:

Thank goodness her neurologist gave us some of that stuff that dissolves on her tongue. it has stopped the vomiting for now. im hoping it is a 24 hr thing. Ugh it is gross :(

Quoting LadySaphira:

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Keeping your kid home everytime they have a belly ache or sniffles is ridiculous. I would rather teach mine that sometimes you have to make it through "work" even when you feel lousy. Thats how the real world works. If my child actually vomits at the house, they stay home. Otherwise they aare sent to school.
LadySaphira
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Hurray for Zofran! That stuff is a blessing! My daughter took it each time she had to go through chemo. They also gave it to my DH when he had the stomach bug (he is diabetic and it really messed up his sugars).

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Thank goodness her neurologist gave us some of that stuff that dissolves on her tongue. it has stopped the vomiting for now. im hoping it is a 24 hr thing. Ugh it is gross :(

Quoting LadySaphira:

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Mine have gone to school with no symptoms and arrived at school and became sick while at school.  Sometimes you just don't know until afterwards. Some of these viruses hit hard and hit fast. I don't send my kids knowingly ,sick.  Although I am friends with the school nurse and so I know it does happen.  

BREN_da
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Kids can go off to school feeling good, and then develop a fever and whatnot a while later. As was the case yesterday, my son was sent home for a fever. He will stay home today, as well a his twin sister (err on the side of caution). Out of 17 students in the classroom, only 7 were left by the end of the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I kept dd from school the next day but only because we were going out of town for the weekend. Waited for her to see a Dr to clear her for travel but she was back herself the next morning. It happens not much you can do about it.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Barronbaby:

This... I had this happen once... dd was fine when I sent her to school and during morning attendance she started to feel sick and threw up. I am a sahm so I went and got her right away. Could be that kid was fine and then got sick at school and took the parents longer to leave work and pick up child. It happens. If I kept dd home all the time for just in case she would never go. Chances are kid was contagious days before illness struck

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

One of my kids had abdominal migranes-bellyache -head ache-vomit-sleep feel great.  I still had to get him and keep him home the next day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0m23b0ys458
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

I'm sure there were parents that were pissed off at me yesterday.DS was fine when I sent him to school.They called at 9 saying he had thrown up.Turns out,the doctor thinks he has Hypoglycemia.Obviously not contagious,but the parents would have no way of knowing that,when their kid came home saying DS threw up.I would never knowingly send my kid to school when he's contagious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN