Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

¥ eta ¥ ugh a mom sent her kid to school

SICK , my dd said he was sick from homeroom until lunch when they sent him home, Monday and now...

My kid is sick :( she woke me up at 1245 saying my tummy hurts and then "blahhhh" she started throwing up and hasn't stopped. And now it is going south.

It wouldn't be so bad but and I say BUT I always worry about aspiration with my dd beacuase of her weak lungs. When she throws up it is so scary. Her disability just makes lung infections so scary :( buy she is finally sleeping so, hopefully she'll be ok.

Ugh, lesson to moms, keep your kids home when sick!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ETA

1) my kid is 8 yes I know about incubation periods of illness

2) you're a parent there is never an excuse to.send a kid thAt you know is sick I.e fever within 24hrs, vomitting within 24 hrs etc to class

3) we do have a nurse, the nurse was notified he wasn't vomitting all over the room. 

4) believe it or not my 8yr old is VERY reliable honest and trustworthy. I believe her. why would she come hone and tell me this. as soon as I walked into the school she and the ASP teacher mentioned it to me. several kids were discussing it. why are kids discredited. my child has no reason to lie to me

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

We love zofran too. Our doctor allows us to keep it on hand becaus my kids dehydrate very easily and he unlike most doctors works with us to keep our kids out of the ER.  Most doctors will not prescribe it easily. Our doctor, knowing our kids' history lets us have it on hand.  Our kids can be vomiting for just a couple of hours and become severely dehydrated.  Yes, we believe in zofran around here. 

My kids are tiny for their ages, they have Noonan's syndrome. I have to wonder if it is part of the reason they dehydrate so easily.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Hurray for Zofran! That stuff is a blessing! My daughter took it each time she had to go through chemo. They also gave it to my DH when he had the stomach bug (he is diabetic and it really messed up his sugars).

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Thank goodness her neurologist gave us some of that stuff that dissolves on her tongue. it has stopped the vomiting for now. im hoping it is a 24 hr thing. Ugh it is gross :(

Quoting LadySaphira:

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I think that is what I tried to say in my post. I worry more than a normal mom because my dd is disabled and has weak lungs.

However if my kid was sick in the morning I would reconsider sending them to class kwim. But to each their own I suppose.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

This is what I was going to say. With a stomach virus you can be contagious days before any symptoms show, and depending on which virus they could be contagious for up to two weeks even when the symptoms are gone. Honestly, for me, I look at it as something that's going to happen, but at least they will build immunities to the virus. It's definitely no fun watching your kid sick as a dog, and having to deal with the cleaning and possibility of getting sick too though... And I would be a bit more worried if my kids had other health issues it could affect. It sucks for everyone involved.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Educated yourself, that child was MORE contagious before even showing any signs of being sick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM
I Never said she did nothing. Ha! I said she had him lay his head down on his desk. What could she do, coddle him? Rock him?

I didn't say all over the class. Every class has a sink. He threw up in the sink. He threw up on his bookbag. How is that all over? Exaggerate much?

Quoting notjstasocermom:

sounds like you are the defensive one. But no I don't believe some kid was throwing up all over class and the teacher did nothing. 

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Doubt what you want. I believe my child. What purpose would she have to lie to me. What purpose would the ASP teacher have to lie about it.

This isn't a debate lady. It is a simple keep your kid home if it is sick post.

Was this your son or do you send your kids to class sick? Defensive much

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Yeah I doubt that.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

My 3rd grader told me. It was her classmate. He sits behind her. He was throwing up in the classroom sink and then in his bookbag.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

how do you know he got  sick at school? And how do you know a kid was sick?

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I got the pill in her system finally to stop the vomiting and when she wakes up I will start pushing the fluids. Wow. It is rough. I'm so sorry that poor little man!
My ds used to dehydrate so easy and always end up on an IV :( so sad. This season sucks man

Quoting Barronbaby:

My ds1 got a nasty tummy bug.... it lasted 24 hours but kicked his butt he ended up in er for dehydration after I tried for a few hours to keep water in him. I hope she feels better soon
Quoting justpeachy71904:

Thank goodness her neurologist gave us some of that stuff that dissolves on her tongue. it has stopped the vomiting for now. im hoping it is a 24 hr thing. Ugh it is gross :(

Quoting LadySaphira:

I am amazed the school did not send the kid home before then. When my kids were in school, I was called to come get them with the first sign of them being ill with anything and they had to wait in the nurse's office for me. Even when they knew there was a 99.9% that my daughter was most like vomiting because of her acid reflux, they removed her from the classroom and called.

My family had that nasty stomach bug too, it is rough but thankfully only lasts about 24 hrs. I hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

JessicaEOH
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I was thinking thia! When we got the stomach bug this uear, it was all of a sudden...felt fine one minute and like death the next :(

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Eh. Sometimes my kids go to school feeling just fine and then get sick. I..and the odds are good the kid was contagious the day before as well.....

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM
And you are the coworker we ALL effing hate. ugh I have one at my office and she just contaminated us with a nasty ass cold. All of the cops got it all of the office staff. She just st there hacking and gagging and its like go home! You have a fever get out of here. Ugh

Quoting Anonymous:

Keeping your kid home everytime they have a belly ache or sniffles is ridiculous. I would rather teach mine that sometimes you have to make it through "work" even when you feel lousy. Thats how the real world works. If my child actually vomits at the house, they stay home. Otherwise they aare sent to school.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Usually we try to keep her off of meds but with the neuro and pulmonoligists fears of aspiration we keep that on hand. I <3 it. Wow. It really helps if you can sneak it in there :)

Quoting LadySaphira:

Hurray for Zofran! That stuff is a blessing! My daughter took it each time she had to go through chemo. They also gave it to my DH when he had the stomach bug (he is diabetic and it really messed up his sugars).

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Quoting LadySaphira:

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Yea it was a nasty bug. I took him to Dr that afternoon and she said push fluids but didn't think it was that bad. Took him in the next day for a recheck after er and she felt horrible because he should have gone to er sooner he was severely dehydrated but had no physical signs of dehydration. Er did urine and woodwork to see how dehydrated he was. Spent the night there and they only gave him half a bag and Dr the next day said I needed to pump more fluids in him because they did not give him enough at the hospital. When he gets sick it hits him hardest. My youngest had the same tummy bug and bounced back within a day. My ds1 however was sick with the throw up part for a day but down for a whole week.

Quoting justpeachy71904:

I got the pill in her system finally to stop the vomiting and when she wakes up I will start pushing the fluids. Wow. It is rough. I'm so sorry that poor little man!

My ds used to dehydrate so easy and always end up on an IV :( so sad. This season sucks man

Quoting Barronbaby:

My ds1 got a nasty tummy bug.... it lasted 24 hours but kicked his butt he ended up in er for dehydration after I tried for a few hours to keep water in him. I hope she feels better soon
Quoting justpeachy71904:

Quoting LadySaphira:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Aww I hope he feels better :( our teachers send a note home letting us know whts going on.

Quoting m0m23b0ys458:

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

I'm sure there were parents that were pissed off at me yesterday.DS was fine when I sent him to school.They called at 9 saying he had thrown up.Turns out,the doctor thinks he has Hypoglycemia.Obviously not contagious,but the parents would have no way of knowing that,when their kid came home saying DS threw up.I would never knowingly send my kid to school when he's contagious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)