Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

NEED YOUR HELP!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've decided that with my child's recent behavior that instating a chore chart is necessary. I'm tired of his miss behavior at school and home and he's going to start having a lot more structure in his life due to the fact that over the last month he's become some sort of evil monster child that I've never met before! I have no idea what his problem is but I'm tired of it. And yes emotionally I know whats going on with him this is purely behavioral. 

So what chores are acceptable for a very short (this matters because things like putting dishes away are impossible for him) 7 year old to do? I know basics like cleaning room and making bed. I want other stuff though that I might not thought of that would be easy for a child. 

I don't think that things like brushing teeth or getting up on time are chores. (i keep finding those on chore charts) HELP.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Even though you don't find those items to be chores they can go on a chart to create a routine and that is important as well. I have mine set up for my 5 and 3 year old so that it flows with the day. Up for the day, brush teeth, get dressed, make sure clothes go in hamper, get hair done without fighting and whining, when they get home they need to put their back packs away, start any homework, then they help me clean up after dinner, clean up any toys, after bath put on jammies, make sure their clothes are in hamper not on floor, etc..you can incorporate some chores into it easily to change a behavior you do not like. But a schedule and a routine are very helpful.

2m2t
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
my daughter had such a behavior few weeks ago... she used to do all kind of stuff at school to drive her teacher crazy and the same with me at home. After all kins of "solutions" like no movies, no dresses or skirts, no pizza day at school etc everything was worst than before. At one point I had realized that all she wanted was me. So, we did spend some time together and after a week she became he kid I love.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've decided that with my child's recent behavior that instating a chore chart is necessary. I'm tired of his miss behavior at school and home and he's going to start having a lot more structure in his life due to the fact that over the last month he's become some sort of evil monster child that I've never met before! I have no idea what his problem is but I'm tired of it. And yes emotionally I know whats going on with him this is purely behavioral. 

So what chores are acceptable for a very short (this matters because things like putting dishes away are impossible for him) 7 year old to do? I know basics like cleaning room and making bed. I want other stuff though that I might not thought of that would be easy for a child. 

I don't think that things like brushing teeth or getting up on time are chores. (i keep finding those on chore charts) HELP.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM
what about vaccuming & sweeping the floor? dusting? wiping down walls/baseboards? windows?
annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

he can dry dishes and stack them on the counter.   My 7 yr old dusts and runs the sweeper. She also feeds the cats. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM

He has a daily schedule. Thats a separate issue he knows that stuff is expected I don't want it to be apart of things that he needs to do daily around the house to start helping out. 

Quoting sam12796:

Even though you don't find those items to be chores they can go on a chart to create a routine and that is important as well. I have mine set up for my 5 and 3 year old so that it flows with the day. Up for the day, brush teeth, get dressed, make sure clothes go in hamper, get hair done without fighting and whining, when they get home they need to put their back packs away, start any homework, then they help me clean up after dinner, clean up any toys, after bath put on jammies, make sure their clothes are in hamper not on floor, etc..you can incorporate some chores into it easily to change a behavior you do not like. But a schedule and a routine are very helpful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM

He just got off of 2 weeks with me and my husband all to himself. He's been back to school for 5 days and has been a terror. Its not time with us that he's lacking. He's figured out that if he stone walls his teachers and us he doesn't have to do the work that he's told to do because it means time will eventually run out for him to do it then he can move on with his day. Then he's lying about his behavior at school and the punishments that they're doing (taking away tickets and recess) His uncle is a pathlogical liar. I refuse to let him become one. 

Quoting 2m2t:

my daughter had such a behavior few weeks ago... she used to do all kind of stuff at school to drive her teacher crazy and the same with me at home. After all kins of "solutions" like no movies, no dresses or skirts, no pizza day at school etc everything was worst than before. At one point I had realized that all she wanted was me. So, we did spend some time together and after a week she became he kid I love.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Why are chores like putting the dishes away impossible for him? Does he have any SN?

If not, then there is no excuse why it would be impossible. He can:

Wipe down the bathroom sink
Take out the bathroom garbage (I think the big kitchen one would be too much)
Vacuum somewhere
Set the table for dinner
Clean up the table after dinner
Help fold clothes or help put them away

And if no SN, put some damn dishes away. Deal with him freaking out and make him do it anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Dishes because our cabinets are very high and even with his step stool he can't even reach the back of the counter much less the top cabinets. He's got gravitational aversion (extreme fear of heights it makes him nauseous to be up off the ground more than a foot) so step ladders are out of the question. He's about 3-4 inches shorter than the average 7 year old too. Its not a matter of he won't its a matter that he simply can't. 

The rest is all very reasonable though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why are chores like putting the dishes away impossible for him? Does he have any SN?

If not, then there is no excuse why it would be impossible. He can:

Wipe down the bathroom sink
Take out the bathroom garbage (I think the big kitchen one would be too much)
Vacuum somewhere
Set the table for dinner
Clean up the table after dinner
Help fold clothes or help put them away

And if no SN, put some damn dishes away. Deal with him freaking out and make him do it anyway.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Vaccuming, dusting, scrubbing the toilet bowl, taking out trash, feeding pets.
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Empty bathroom garbage wipe sink, load dishwasher, feed pets, put laundry away, set and clear dinner table.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)