Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If the flu shot is so effective....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

why are we hearing of reports of the flu ALL over the USA??  reports of full ER's, full hospitals, people sick left and right, despite getting the shot.....what a hoax

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I've never had the flu shot and have only gotten the start of the flu once. They gave me tamiflu and I was just fine.

Megan11587
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:21 AM
There are different strains of the flu. The shot prevents some, but not all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:21 AM

And i have heard this complaint SO often from like 99% of people who said they got the shot

Quoting happykitty316:

IDK, but I'm never getting the flu shot again.  DH & I have been sick non stop since we got it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM

The strain of flu going around now is Influenza A and that is not one that everyone was vaccinated from.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Probably because most people aren't taking the flu shot. That is what I have heard. Most people are opting out for many reasons.  We don't do the flu shot due to cost, we have horrid insurance and we have one child who is allergic.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM

the flu shot does not protect you from viirus' , colds bronchitis,etc    Everyone seems to think a fever is the flu, etc.. I had the flu years ago, and it is dangerous and kept me in bed for over a week.  I get vaccinated now and so does dd, I never had it again.  Other things, yes, but not the flu. DD never had the flu because I always got her vaccinated.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM

LOL.  This is what our school nurse (who has friends in a couple local ERs and peditricians office due to previous jobs) told me.  I'm not sure if there are different strains going around different places or what.

Quoting Anonymous:

that conflicts with what i heard, and that this year's match is a good one....i've been hearing that all over too....great way for mainstream media to sway the herds, isn't it?

Quoting TheMrs407:

They cannot vaxinnate for every strain.  Apparently the strain they vaccinated for is not the strain making people so sick.  While I am sure some have simply not had the flu shot, I am hearing of many who have and are still getting the flu due to the other strain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

A 4-year-old boy from New Jersey was asked not to return to his school without a flu shot. But his parents say the child is allergic to the raw egg in the vaccine.

Jeremy Pereira was home playing on an iPad instead of attending school on Monday. Jeremy is allergic to egg, which is present in the flu vaccine. His parents won't expose him but without the shot his school won't let him back until April.

The Pereiras say they had a letter from Jeremy's pediatrician explains his egg allergy. But the boy's doctors recommended giving him the vaccine and then judging his reaction. However, his parents wouldn't do this.

New Jersey is one of the only states in the nation to require flu shots for young schoolchildren, from six months through 5 years old.

December 31, 2012, was the deadline was the deadline to get the flu shot.

The state allows for religious and medical exemptions but according to the state Department of Health the child's primary care provider would have to determine if the child is likely to have a severe reaction to the egg in the flu vaccine.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/08/new-jersey-boy-not-allowed-back-to-school-without-flu-shot/#ixzz2HTqrXWxj
MammaPaparazza
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Yep this is why. Their are several strains of the flu, the shot usually contains the most ramped strain as found in other countries, however it does mean you won't get the flu it just lessons the effects, and for someone who has a weakened immune system whose body couldn't handle the full flu strain, the shot is a good idea

Quoting TheMrs407:

They cannot vaxinnate for every strain.  Apparently the strain they vaccinated for is not the strain making people so sick.  While I am sure some have simply not had the flu shot, I am hearing of many who have and are still getting the flu due to the other strain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

And i have heard this complaint SO often from like 99% of people who said they got the shot

Quoting happykitty316:

IDK, but I'm never getting the flu shot again.  DH & I have been sick non stop since we got it.

well, yes. You can still get sick, but most likely not the flu.  The flu can be confirmed by your doctor.  Don't assume your illness is the actual flu.  99% is an inaccurate number, especially when it is most likely a virus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)