Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If the flu shot is so effective....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

why are we hearing of reports of the flu ALL over the USA??  reports of full ER's, full hospitals, people sick left and right, despite getting the shot.....what a hoax

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Because every year they take a gamble and chose a few strains to include in the vaccine.

There are thousands of different strains and they mutate every year.
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Uh huh. You sound like it *rolls eyes*

Quoting Anonymous:

oh, i have a GREAT understanding of the flu, and how pharma works to promote useless meds

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

You have no understanding of the flu or vaccines.

Vaccines don't 100% defend against what they are for... There is still a chance of getting whatever it's for. It's meant to reduce how bad the illness would be as well.

There are different strains of the flu... They predict which ones will be worst and make vaccines for it ahead of time. That being said, if someone gets another strain then the vax they got wont be of any help.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leah.Rae
by Sarah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:37 AM
My daughter and I got the flu shot this year. We both currently have the flu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Sheesh

1. Not everyone got a flu shot. I don't have statistics, but I bet not a 10th of the population has had a flu shot.

2. There is more than 1 strain of flu out there and there are tests for the most prevalent types, but there are others. The prevalent strain of flu alternates. You can be immune to 1 type but not another.

3. The shot only works on you if you already have a healthy immune system and are able to make antibodies. No antibodies, no immunity.

rhope4
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I got the shot this year for the first time at no charge since I am a city employee. Have not gotten sick so far! This year will determine if I get it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Ive heard it from doctors locally.
The only thing the flu shot does id make the flu stronger

Quoting Anonymous:

that conflicts with what i heard, and that this year's match is a good one....i've been hearing that all over too....great way for mainstream media to sway the herds, isn't it?

Quoting TheMrs407:

They cannot vaxinnate for every strain.  Apparently the strain they vaccinated for is not the strain making people so sick.  While I am sure some have simply not had the flu shot, I am hearing of many who have and are still getting the flu due to the other strain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Obviously not everone vax's and also it's a virus so there are multiple strands and the shot only covers 3 strands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I have been getting a flu shot every year for about 23 yearsnow) since i had my first child. Never got the flu.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

My BIL is just getting over the flu. He received his flu shot 2 weeks ago. My thought is either he got the flu from the shot or the shot was worthless. I choose not to get the shot and I have not had the flu in years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

this was sent to NJ School Administrators:

Dear School Administrators,
In the November 2012 Annual Immunization Status Report mailing, the New Jersey Department of Health (DOH), Vaccine Preventable Disease Program stated that child care/preschools may no longer accept egg allergy a
s a valid medical contraindication to the required influenza vaccination. This update was based on a more permissive Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendation for administering influenza vaccine to persons with egg allergies.
The DOH has received numerous inquiries from school health officials and parents regarding vaccination of persons with egg allergies. The current ACIP recommendation includes an algorithm for healthcare providers to manage patients with egg allergies. Since egg allergies range in severity, school health officials may find it difficult to determine the validity of influenza vaccine medical exemptions.
After careful consideration, the DOH has made a decision to continue to accept egg allergy as a valid medical contraindication for the 2012-2013 school year and will continue to evaluate the feasibility of implementing this ACIP recommendation in the future. In the interim, we continue to encourage healthcare providers to follow ACIP’s guidelines and screening protocols to determine whether their patient can receive flu vaccine. For the complete ACIP 2012-2013 influenza recommendations, please visithttp://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6132a3.htm?s_cid=mm6132a3 .
The DOH apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your continued patience and cooperation. Please access the DOH, Vaccine Preventable Disease Program website for additional information on NJ’s immunization requirements and frequently asked questionshttp://www.nj.gov/health/cd/imm.shtml. Should you require further assistance, please contact the Vaccine Preventable Disease Program at (609) 826-4861.

http://nj.gov/health/cd/documents/egg_allergie_flu_vaccination.pdf

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting Anonymous:

A 4-year-old boy from New Jersey was asked not to return to his school without a flu shot. But his parents say the child is allergic to the raw egg in the vaccine.

Jeremy Pereira was home playing on an iPad instead of attending school on Monday. Jeremy is allergic to egg, which is present in the flu vaccine. His parents won't expose him but without the shot his school won't let him back until April.

The Pereiras say they had a letter from Jeremy's pediatrician explains his egg allergy. But the boy's doctors recommended giving him the vaccine and then judging his reaction. However, his parents wouldn't do this.

New Jersey is one of the only states in the nation to require flu shots for young schoolchildren, from six months through 5 years old.

December 31, 2012, was the deadline was the deadline to get the flu shot.

The state allows for religious and medical exemptions but according to the state Department of Health the child's primary care provider would have to determine if the child is likely to have a severe reaction to the egg in the flu vaccine.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/08/new-jersey-boy-not-allowed-back-to-school-without-flu-shot/#ixzz2HTqrXWxj

they have a flu vaccine now that does not contain eggs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)