Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

And this is why having a gun in the home is a good thing .....**edited**UPDATED with news cast link****

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

****edited because info was wrong. Never was there an intent to cause drama or embelish the story. Either way i am glad her and the kids are ok, and she did the right thing****

http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-mom-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/story?id=18164812#.UO1no299KuI

Georgia Mom Shoots Home Invader, Hiding With Her Children

A mother of two has been hailed a hero by her husband after she shot an intruder in their Loganville, Ga., home last Friday afternoon.

"She protected the kids. She did what she was supposed to do as a responsible, prepared gun owner," said her husband, Donnie Herman, in an interview with ABC's Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV.

According to Herman and the Walton County Sheriff's Office incident report, Melinda Herman was working at home when a man began to ring the doorbell. She called her husband at work, who told her to gather their 9-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, and go hide. All three of them went to an upstairs crawl space, and Melinda brought along a .38 caliber handgun to the hiding place.

Her husband, meanwhile, called the police. In the 911 recording, Herman can be heard saying, "She shot him. She's shooting him, she's shooting him. Shoot him again."

PHOTO: A mother of two has been hailed a hero by her husband after she shot an intruder in their Loganville, Ga., home last Friday afternoon.
ABC News

"I heard him pleading," her husband said to the 911 operator. "He was screaming."

The man allegedly broke into the house and rummaged around before making his way to the crawl space, where he found the mother and children hiding.

"The perpetrator opens that door, and of course at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," said Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman to WSB-TV.

Melinda Herman shot the intruder five times, hitting him in the face and neck. Chapman said she told the man if he moved she would shoot him again, although she had run out of bullets.

"The guy is [heard] telling her to quit shooting," said Chapman.

The intruder, who police identified as 32-year-old Paul Slater, managed to get to his car and as he tried to flee, crashed into a tree. Deputies later found him in a neighbor's yard.

Melinda Herman and her children, in the meantime, had sought refuge in a neighbor's home.

"Her life is saved and our kids lives are saved. And that's all I can say," said Donnie Herman.

Slater is currently in the Gwinnett Medical Center, receiving treatment for his injuries, which deputies described as serious. A family member told WSB-TV that Slater was on a ventilator and had endured puncture wounds to his lungs, liver and stomach.

*EDITED**** Video link to a news cast. It says the man had a crow bar It also says the man went through 2 locked doors. So if MY info was wrong, its because THEY said it wrong. But more info on the man.

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/man-shot-during-home-invasion-had-lengthy-criminal/vmkRP/

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Wrong but thats ok. Ill keep my .45 with hollow points, and just let me know where you live so i can make sure you arent my neighbor so i wouldnt waste any of my ammo helping you out. 

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. But i was pointing out to those on here that want to take away ALL guns from EVERYONE. But this is why we as Americans have the right to own a gun in our home. This man, came through 2 locked doors to get to them. He had already tried to grab one of the girls while she ran up the stairs. Then man was bad news. He didnt just break into the home. He wanted to hurt them. 

Quoting IhartU:

Saving a few lives with a gun doesn't comapre with the many innocent lives lost to gun violence.

Sorry but the 2nd Amendment says nothing about private citizens having the right to own a gun for hunting, target shooting or protection from a home invasion. It was written at time when citizens formed well regulated Militias and now the National Guard is the Milita and private citizens have no business owning a gun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I tend to be suicidal at times....we still have a gun in the house... I just don't know where it is!!!  But I want my husband to protect us if needed!

Quoting Anonymous:

I could not have a gun in my home.  I live with someone with severe mental illness. It would be irresponsible of me to have a gun, as he has been suicidal.  Not everyone can have a gun

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Well if you are going to own a gun in the home, your kids should be taught gun safety. Honestly ALL kids should be taught gun safety.

Quoting Anonymous:

And I can give you just as many stories showing innocent children being killed by a gun in the home.

If you want to own a gun that's your right as an American to do just that, I chose not to because I see what the long term impact of an accidental shooting can do to a family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
This is why SO made me get my gun permit & take extra shooting classes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

This is why DH bought me a gun as well. 

Quoting Anonymous:

This is why SO made me get my gun permit & take extra shooting classes.

ryansmommy07
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM
A .308 rifle a 9mm .45 protect this home + a very aggressive (to outsiders) 100lb Bluetick hound!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, as wrong as it is. How would you propose that we defend ourselves in our homes? Should we just call 911 and hope the police get there in time? And why shouldn't people have guns for hunting? Are you against hunting as well?? 

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

So, only the government should have the weapons?? Really? 

Quoting IhartU:

Sorry but the 2nd Amendment says nothing about private citizens having the right to own a gun for hunting, target shooting or protection from a home invasion. It was written at time when citizens formed well regulated Militias and now the National Guard is the Milita and private citizens have no business owning a gun.

Really. If you want a damn gun, join the National Guard.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM

EXACTLY!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well if you are going to own a gun in the home, your kids should be taught gun safety. Honestly ALL kids should be taught gun safety.

Quoting Anonymous:

And I can give you just as many stories showing innocent children being killed by a gun in the home.

If you want to own a gun that's your right as an American to do just that, I chose not to because I see what the long term impact of an accidental shooting can do to a family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Where alot of parents mess up is they teach their young children that & thunk they know better then to touch it. Where any mother of more then one or even one knows that you can talk til you're blue in the face. But children r going to be curious. We keep all but 2 of ours in a gun safe. SO carries his & mine stays ontop of the refrigerator in the cabinet.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

What made them decide to go hide from him when he just rang the door bell? (that's the only part I'm confused about).. Other than that, I'm glad they are ok!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)