Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lasting effects of an accidental gun death

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 24 Replies
My 2 year old cousin was shot and killed by her 4 year old brother back in 79. Her death has lasting repercussions for my family.

Her brother needs counseling. He's married with several kids and he named his oldest daughter after his sister. He is an alcoholic along with a drug addict though thankfully he has a wife that takes control and has him on a short leash so I do not believe he does drugs anymore. He is one messed up man because of what happened.

My father got the phone call at 2 am, the phone was next to the bed and he picked it up and answered it and fell back asleep thinking he was dreaming. He now refuses to have a phone in the bedroom.

When I came along almost 3 years later my father gave me her name but refused to talk about what happened. I was in my early teens before I even found out I had a cousin who was killed and actually just here recently when looking up her obituary did I realize I was named after her.

My aunt, my 2 yr old cousins mother, was on a path of self destruction when she was killed by a drunk driver 6 months after I was born. Had that not happened my other aunt, her sister, truly believes she would have killed herself.

18 years ago my aunt ( yet another aunt) blew her abusive boyfriends brains out with a shotgun. I had to help clean up after that. I don't ever want to be in that position ever again. That incident is forever etched in my mind and certain smells from cleaning supplies bring back those memories and physically make me ill.

I have no problem with people who want to own guns for whatever reason. I would never advocate banning guns but just like every other topic shoving your pro gun stance down my throat isn't going to change My mind on guns in my home.

And please save your it's not the guns fault argument, I've heard it all and while I agree with it it won't change my mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM
What! Why would you have to clean up??

Sounds like your family has been through a lot of unfortunate events.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM
We have and I'd like to avoid another unfortunate event.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

What! Why would you have to clean up??

Sounds like your family has been through a lot of unfortunate events.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I had a 63 yo babysitter who shot my 20 yo brother.  He came home on a surprise visit from the military and was coming in the backdoor.  Thankfully, he survived.

When I was a senior in high school, I belonged to the drama club.  We arranged for a big party immediately following the final production of our play.  All the cast, crew, teachers, and parents caravaned to the party but the lead car got lost and ended up going down the wrong driveway.  The owner of the house we pulled up to came out with a shotgun and killed one of my teachers and injured a good friend.

No guns in our house EVER.  I am thankful that my DH and friends respect my wishes.

roldansync
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I am so sorry that your family has been through so much. I honestly don't even know what to say other than that. =(

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Luckily I have an understanding fiancΓ©. He wants a gun and actually has some but he leaves them at a relatives house.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had a 63 yo babysitter who shot my 20 yo brother.  He came home on a surprise visit from the military and was coming in the backdoor.  Thankfully, he survived.

When I was a senior in high school, I belonged to the drama club.  We arranged for a big party immediately following the final production of our play.  All the cast, crew, teachers, and parents caravaned to the party but the lead car got lost and ended up going down the wrong driveway.  The owner of the house we pulled up to came out with a shotgun and killed one of my teachers and injured a good friend.

No guns in our house EVER.  I am thankful that my DH and friends respect my wishes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

That's very, very sad. I'm sorry for your family's loss.

But would you never own a car if your cousin was run over and killed by one?

Kind of ridiculous, right?

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Did you not see the part where I said I didn't want to hear shit like that? I've heard every single argument you could possibly think of and then some and it will not change my mind about guns in MY house. I don't care about your house, if you want them then have them but they do not belong in MY house.

Quoting danie24:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

((hugs)) I am so sorry you and your family have had to endure this horrible tragedy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Quoting danie24:

Sort of apples and oranges.  A car is not designed to be a weapon.  Sure, it can be used as one but so can a golf club or a butter knife.  The purpose/design of a gun is to kill a person or animal.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN