Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

judging homeless

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 26 Replies

I wanted to post my feelings somewhere...

there is a lot of sanctimony on the internet about never judging anyone, including homeless people. For one thing, that's silly. It's actually hardwired in humans to judge. Its what you do about it that is up to you.

I have been a supporter of soup kitchens and have helped out folks in need, including homeless people. But how many people actually KNOW a homeless person and their story? I had a (sort of ) friend for many years. She is in and out of jail and currently homeless. I help her out, but only minimally, b/c I have come to see that the poor choices she has made have got her in this place. I won't go into the gory details regarding sex, crack, parenting, alcohol, manipulative behavior, etc. yes, maybe she is bipolar. If she didn't have mental problems before, she sure does now. That life screws you up big time.

The point is, I'm really angry with her and it's coloring my views of homeless people, some of whom are innocent and someof whom are not. So I'd rather help people in nursing homes, blind kids, immmigrant families (kids)  and shelter animals--all tend to be more innocent, than, well, my homeless friend.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I honstly hate it when I see people on the side of the road that have a sign that says veteran homeless please help. I know they can go to the VA for help they choose not to. I know this because I am a veteran. I also take time to drive to get those who can't drive to the VA for their apts and such. So there is help out there.
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I understand.

A few years back, I managed a group of people at a car manufacturing plant.  We inspected the cars coming off the line (separate company).  Basically - you needed a pulse and to show up on time.  My husband gave some money to a homeless guy at the store, and gave him my card to come for an interview (btw - way back when this happened, it paid $17 an hour with benefits).  He came to the first interview, and I was like, fine.  Set up a time for the 2nd interview and drug test - he called (hey, well, at least he called) and said he wasn't coming because he would rather panhandle and not have "the man" looking over his shoulder.  Yeah - ok.  Kind of colored my idea of the homeless.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I knew one homeless person.  He was a talented, high powered lawyer in Dallas.  A drunk driver hit him and killed his wife and young son.  He lost everything, including his mind.  He's completely non-functional now and can't even speak clearly.  He used to hang out outside where I worked, and I brought him coffee everyday. 

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Not every place has help for the homeless. I was homeless for six months in2012. Judge all you want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
It doesn't bother me. If I can help someone, I do.
ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I honstly hate it when I see people on the side of the road that have a sign that says veteran homeless please help. I know they can go to the VA for help they choose not to. I know this because I am a veteran. I also take time to drive to get those who can't drive to the VA for their apts and such. So there is help out there.

That's only partially true.  The VA will only help you if they have your name.  If a vet was involved in a conflict that the US Government denies, it's very difficult to get help.  Sadly, that encompasses a lot of vets.

Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Not every place has help for the homeless. I was homeless for six months in2012. Judge all you want.

Ah but there is short term homeless-and long term-the long term usually have a substance issue or mental ilness issues. The short term homeless are more likely to be down on their luck (or off of their meds or made a poor choice or two) -most of them get back on their feet and find a place to live....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Yes but they can chanagle the results.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's only partially true.  The VA will only help you if they have your name.  If a vet was involved in a conflict that the US Government denies, it's very difficult to get help.  Sadly, that encompasses a lot of vets.

RaynesMommy07
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I don't judge the homeless, people in PA, or none of that. Idc how they got there I'm sure they'd rather be anywhere doing anything else. I may have a lot today, but ill never be so high and mighty to believe it cant all be taken away tomorrow with a blink of an eye.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I've been homeless, no drugs, no criminal history, just a couple of big speed bumps in my life road. I don't judge the homeless, most of you are just a few paychecks away from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured