Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People who own cars just don't get it!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
4 days a week I get up early and take my son to preschool in the town below us. We get on the bus at 6:35 am and get to town at 7 and wait in a nearby grocery store until just before school starts at 8. My son goes to Head Start and every day when he gets dropped off he has to wash his hands and have a "health check" from one of the teachers before I can leave him. I am lucky enough there is a bus headed back up the hill right in front of his school at 8:05 am. Usually I am fast enough that I can get on that bus and head home, getting here at about 8:30 depending on who's driving. If I miss that bus I might as well not go home at all because the next one isn't until 10:30 and I would be getting home just in time to turn around and go back to pick him up. (Now to my vent, lol.) This morning my son was being a complete brat and didn't want to wash his hands ect. and I was trying to get him to get moving so I wouldn't miss the bus. His teacher told me to let it go that he would decide to listen when he's ready. I reminded her I take the bus and that I didn't want to miss it. She just gave me kind of a blank look and said I could just take the next one. I'm NOT going to kiss his ass just because he is having one of "those" kind of days and doesn't want to do what he knows he is supposed to be doing! She doesn't want me force him to listen, she wants me to just block him from getting to the toys and wait. She believes children should be "guided into making the right choice." If I were to put him on time out/spank him for not listening I bet she would have a freakin heart attack! Why do people not understand that I don't make my own schedule! I can't just jump up and leave whenever the hell I decide I'm ready! If I miss that bus I sit in town for 4 and half hours! Ugh!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
Megan11587
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I own a car, but take public transportation to work. I get it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Well children shouldn't be spanked into making the right choices either. You give them guidance and options and use spanking as a last resort for extreme behavior. Not just because he wouldn't wash his hands.
JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
:(

Sometimes i forget that.

Quoting LeahJ:

For her, that $20 might be the difference between buying food and milk or the kids not eating. some people live that close to the line.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Well i wouldn't do it regularly, but if you miss the bus it is better than staying in town all day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its costs $20 for me to take a cab home.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Can't you call a cab?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Lol, I would love to let the teacher try and get him to wash up. My son can be pretty stubborn, they would be there all day! But I can't sign him in and leave until he has washed and passed a health check.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

When I was a single mom (well im still not remarried but living with my boyfriend) there were 2 times I was without a car, one time was for a month the other was for 2 weeks. I had to get rides, the bus schedules here don't work for the hours I was working and the month I was without a car I stayed with a friend (who actually is my boyfriend now) and he took me to an from work and the bus didn't even go as far as my work place at the time. I agree bus schedules suck, even if I had gotten up super early, walked to the bus stop, and got my daughter to day care that way I wouldn't have had a bus to get to work as I'd then be late since the next didn't come around for a couple hours. It is hard to not have a car in the city. During the 2 weeks I was without a car I had to use cabs a few times and basically half my pay for the day went into cab fare, it cost me $26 to get to work and the luckily my boyfriend at the time could pick me up and take me home. At the time I was only able to get part time at my job and not getting the hours I wanted.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that I understand how much buses suck! lol In your situation I'd have just quit trying to get him to wash his hands and let the teacher get him to do it because although I understand not "giving in" if you are concerned about missing the bus then you need to just go. I'd tell her that bus schedules don't allow for extra time there and just go.

itsallabtthem84
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
It's like free day care for low income families.

Quoting MistyMoo:

What is head start?

Quoting Anonymous:

Our Head Start doesn't have a bus. There isn't enough funding.

Quoting Master_Debater:

Same. Ours run every hour. And if it's that much of a deal, pull him out. Seriously. Plus, why doesn't he ride a bus if it's head start?

Quoting MamaDee83:

Where do you live that a bus only comes around every 4 hours? I'm not asking to be cheeky, I seriously am curious!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I would probably just ask can I volunteer and just stay there instead of waste the time just going back and forth. 

JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe. But I don't have the money to do it so it isn't really an issue.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Well i wouldn't do it regularly, but if you miss the bus it is better than staying in town all day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its costs $20 for me to take a cab home.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Can't you call a cab?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Lol, its all good.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Sometimes i forget that.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Ohhhh.. Ok. I've never heard of it. You guys don't do daycare subsidy there?

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

It's like free day care for low income families.

Quoting MistyMoo:

What is head start?

Quoting Anonymous:

Our Head Start doesn't have a bus. There isn't enough funding.

Quoting Master_Debater:

Same. Ours run every hour. And if it's that much of a deal, pull him out. Seriously. Plus, why doesn't he ride a bus if it's head start?

Quoting MamaDee83:

Where do you live that a bus only comes around every 4 hours? I'm not asking to be cheeky, I seriously am curious!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM
As do I

Quoting Anonymous:

I completely understand, I miss my car so much!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)