Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

NYC FERRY CRASH..............

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is it just me or does something bad and  sad happen all the time?!?!?!?......smdh

Dozens of commuters injured in NYC ferry crash

NEW YORK—A commuter ferry crashed as it was docking in Lower Manhattan on Wednesday morning, injuring 57 passengers, two critically. The ferry was taking hundreds of commuters from the New Jersey shore into New York City's Wall Street area.

“It was like we ran into a concrete wall,” said Bill McKenzie, a 62-year-old bond broker  commuting from his home in Highlands, N.J. “You’re never prepared for something like that. Bodies were just flying.”

The crash occurred around 8:45 a.m. as the boat, operated by Seastreak Ferry, pulled into Pier 11 near Wall Street in Lower Manhattan. The cause of the accident was not immediately clear, but a massive gash could be seen along the front right side of the boat.

Dozens of police and fire officials descended on the scene, as did workers from the American Red Cross, who were helping dazed passengers even as they were being questioned by investigators. Officials said there were about 300 people on the boat, including five crew members. At least two passengers were critically injured with one reportedly undergoing surgery, while another nine had serious injuries, according to New York City Fire Commissioner Joe Bruno.

Commuter Ashley Furman said the ferry had pulled into the pier as usual and that she and other passengers had stood up to prepare to disembark.

“I was talking to someone and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground,” Furman said, visibly shaken. “A woman was shaking me and asking me if I was okay, and I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t speak."

Furman said that she was thrown about six feet through the air.

Another passenger, who declined to give his name as he was led by emergency responders to an ambulance, said there was “utter chaos” on the boat. He told reporters he had seen people who appeared to have been knocked unconscious by the force of the impact.

McKenzie, who has been riding the ferry for years, was taking it for only the second time since Superstorm Sandy hit in late October. Power was recently been restored to his workplace at 55 Water St., which was heavily damaged in the storm, and he and his coworkers had returned to their offices only this week.

Still a bit dazed, McKenzie said he was standing on the ferry’s second level talking to a friend when the boat jolted. “Whatever we hit, it just stopped us,” McKenzie said. He slammed into the back of the man in front of him, giving him a bloody nose and lip.

But others nearby were more severely injured. A man a few feet away had crashed through a glass window, he said. And dozens of people in the stairwells, where McKenzie believed the worst injuries were sustained, flew through the air. He described a scene of  “chaos” as crew members ran to attend to those who were injured.

“I am very thankful for my friend, who wasn’t moving very fast today,” McKenzie said, telling reporters that normally he would have been on the stairwell.
The crash left this gash in the side of the ferry. (ABC News)

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

BUMP

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

BUMP!

kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, there's always something bad happening. Now we just have the media telling us about everything all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

DAMN! This is the first I heard of this. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I woke up to this on the TV this morning.....smdh

Quoting PinkyPan:

mstkn.identity
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. So sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Hope everyone recovers well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

How sad. Enough already huh....

Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting PinkyPan:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Hell YEAH.....What else can happen???

I heard the the news report for a bit BEFORE It finally registered what happened. At first I thought they were talking about SANDY again.

Then I heard the word "ferry".....I jumped up out bed (woke up the baby...shit shit shit)  and turned up the TV volume.

Quoting PinkyPan:

How sad. Enough already huh....

Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting PinkyPan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)