Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Getting the Measles Is Good for You: New Kids' Book Puts Pro-Vax Moms on the Warpath - Do you think this topic should be left to adults?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 137 Replies

Getting the Measles Is Good for You: New Kids' Book Puts Pro-Vax Moms on the Warpath

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 9, 2013 

Melanie's Marvelous MeaslesFinally! Something parents on both sides of the heated vaccine debate can agree on. Shots are adult business. So what's with Melanie's Marvelous Measles, a new book pushing the dangerous anti-vaccine agenda on -- you guessed it -- little kids?

Do we really want our kids weighing in on whether or not they want a shot in the arm?

I'm going to give that one a big fat negative!

I am all for using books and movies to explain important issues to our kids. But there's a fine line between resource and propaganda, and Australian natural health activist Stephanie Messenger crossed it big time. She's feeding kids dangerous information -- the likes of "measles don't run and catch you or hurt you ... for most children it is a good thing to get measles" -- to get the kids to fight their parents on a decision that really isn't theirs to make in the first place!

My kid is 7. If I tell her she's going to get her flu shot this week, I expect her to whine and try to bargain her way out of it because that's what kids do. But I'm her mother; it's my job to make the tough decisions that she can't yet make.

Obviously I'm a pro-vaccine parent. This book infuriates me because it's spreading untruths about a disease that kills kids!

But let's say I wasn't. I still would expect my 7-year-old to fall in line because she's 7. She simply doesn't have the ability to read all the literature on vaccines, anticipate future issues, think beyond the pain of a needle jab in the arm. Just another reminder that just because a book is written "for kids" doesn't mean it really is!

Is there any place for this "children's" book? Or is this a topic that should be left to adults?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't see what the big deal is.  I got the measles when I was a kid because there was no measles vax, ditto the chicken pox.  We vax WAY too much IMO. 

These were the vaccines available in the 60's.  I was vaccinated for smallpox, polio, diptheria, pertussis and tetanus.  I caught the measles before the vaccine came out.

• Smallpox
  • DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)
  • Polio (oral live attenuated poliovirus vaccine)
  • Measles
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
11 moms liked this

In my faith, the age of eight is the age of accountability and I feel that a child should have some say in what happens to his or her body. Maybe, I'm crazy, but I want my child to feel comfortable talking to me about what is happening in their mind and what they think about their body. I want my child to learn about things and talk with us about choices that involve their well-being. *shrug* And very, very few healthy, people die from mumps. One the other hand, the number of vaccine injuries from the shot are more common than dying of the ailment itself. Why are we okay with a couple of days of fever and possible possible neurological damage or death from a shot, but are scared of the idea of very remote possibility of our child having a fever and being ill for a week, then having a lifetime immunity to the ailment (which is SUPER important in girls, because they will grow up and have babies will probably nurse, passing that immunity to your grandchildren- something that is not happening so readily with a vax!)?! Why are we so scared of our kids being sick from a natural process their bodies can handle readily?!

moon_dust
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
That is not the issue here. Let's say a kids' book says 'Measles vaccine is good and fun'. Would you support that? Would you let your kid read that and question your decision?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I don't see what the big deal is.  I got the measles when I was a kid because there was no measles vax, ditto the chicken pox.  We vax WAY too much IMO. 

These were the vaccines available in the 60's.  I was vaccinated for smallpox, polio, diptheria, pertussis and tetanus.  I caught the measles before the vaccine came out.

• Smallpox
  • Measles

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM
4 moms liked this

My point is... that measles was once considered a childhood illness that you got as a kid.  I'm all for ANYTHING that helps reduce the number of vaxes that kids get.

Quoting moon_dust:

That is not the issue here. Let's say a kids' book says 'Measles vaccine is good and fun'. Would you support that? Would you let your kid read that and question your decision?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

• Smallpox
  • Measles

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

• Smallpox
  • Measles

Me too.  I'm 56.  In the 2nd grade, I had chicken pox, measles, ruebella and mumps.  All in one year.  My poor mother.

themissheather
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM
8 moms liked this
Thank you CM staff for more pro-vax fear-mongering.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I am pro vax but I'm not going to make a big stink about the book. I just won't buy it.

angevil53
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Where exactly is the fear mongering. The point was that a kid can't make good healthy decisions based on one book. It's like asking a kid do you want a carrot or donut for a snack...

Quoting themissheather:

Thank you CM staff for more pro-vax fear-mongering.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

bump

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
6 moms liked this
There are shows that talk about how necessary vaccines are.
'Sid,the science kid' is one of them.

I just changed the channel when that episode came on.

Quoting moon_dust:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

• Smallpox
  • Measles

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN