Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I may have just ended my marriage Long Edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

I may have just pushed my husband away permanently.  

Back story:  My husband is religious, I am not.  He asks me all the time to go to church with him, and I tell him no.  He gets an attitude which causes an argument.  We argue every Sunday.  Today I told him that I had no desire to go to church.  At all.  That I felt nothing while there.  I told him that I believe in God, but do not believe that I need to be in a building with someone telling me what the bible says and what the bible tells me to do with my life.  That I believe that God is everywhere.  Believing in God doesn't make you a good person, that how you live your life does.  God doesn't tell you what is right and wrong, how you were raised and having a conscious does.  I flat out told him that I am Agnostic.  He then told me that there will be no more children, as he doesn't want kids that aren't raised in the church.  So I told him if he feels like that, no more sex.  I should feel upset, but I'm not.  This has been building for the past 5 years now.  He knew my beliefs when we started dating.  I knew his beliefs when we started dating, and I didn't try to change him.  Why would he think that it is ok to try and change mine?  Why can't he respect my beliefs?

Edit:  I am surprised at how many people are telling me just to go and shut up about it.  Marriage is 2 people in it, not 2 people with 1 telling the other what to do.  I have tried to meet him halfway, but he kept wanting more from me.  However, if I wanted him to do something that he didn't want to do, he wouldn't do it.  And if I tried to get him to do it, he would bitch about it and make the experience hell.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eoewan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry for you. My only suggestion is to try counselling away from the church - not a pastor but a marriage counsellor who is multi-denominational.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this

If you discussed this before marriage he needs to respect your choice

no one should be pressured into doing something they dont want

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

why not just go to church, it wont kill you to sit there for a few hours. 

Destiny907
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

If HE was a christian before he married, he was to KNOW better. Bible says do not be unequally yoked.   He did know what he was getting into.  And that you are not saved is no reason for him to end the marriage.  Bible says if you are married to an unbeliever but they are willing to remain, it is "okay"... do not put your spouse aside....

HE better read up.  HE ought to read bout "winning over your spouse without A WORD" but by your life.

HotMomma2622
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Try to sit down with him and tell him what you just told us. Maybe there might be a way you guys can meet in the middle. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I have...during that time, I have counted all the ceiling tiles, how many lightbulbs were out, wrote out my grocery list.  I get nothing from it.  Doesn't do anything for me.

Quoting ihave1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Some Christians just aren't very accepting of others who don't believe what they do.  It's sad really.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I did.  He's not very happy with me about it.  That's why I think I pushed him away from me.  

Quoting HotMomma2622:

Try to sit down with him and tell him what you just told us. Maybe there might be a way you guys can meet in the middle. Good luck.

towerjunkie1989
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My pastor tells us that Church isn't the building the services are held in. Church is 2 or more people talking about God in one location. Try to have a compromise. He goes to his services and you attend every now and then, and once a week you hold Church in your house. You and your husband talk about God.

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Did it not make him quit being a bitch about you going to church?  If I loved my dh & wanted my marriage to work & he wanted me to go to church I would take my nook & go to church.  Sorry tho it really bites.  Hope he opens up his eyes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have...during that time, I have counted all the ceiling tiles, how many lightbulbs were out, wrote out my grocery list.  I get nothing from it.  Doesn't do anything for me.

Quoting ihave1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)