Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Americans are so confused.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Your health care system is one of the worst among industrialized nations. Your education ranking falls annually. Around half of your residents are living in poverty. Mental illness is demonized. Women are blamed for violent crimes. Rapists are rarely prosecuted and face consequences. Your economy is in shambles. Your unemployment rate is staggering. You are a divided nation.

Yet the issue that impassions you and gets you riled up is GUNS. Are you for real? Why cling to your guns and ignore the real problems? Can someone explain the thought process here? It's truly puzzling.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

As an American, I have often wondered this exact same thing. It's no wonder DH and I have plans to live somewhere else in the future.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It's referred to as the 'Frontier Mentality'.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your health care system is one of the worst among industrialized nations. Your education ranking falls annually. Around half of your residents are living in poverty. Mental illness is demonized. Women are blamed for violent crimes. Rapists are rarely prosecuted and face consequences. Your economy is in shambles. Your unemployment rate is staggering. You are a divided nation.

Yet the issue that impassions you and gets you riled up is GUNS. Are you for real? Why cling to your guns and ignore the real problems? Can someone explain the thought process here? It's truly puzzling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Tell me how fucked up Canada really is? Enlighten me.

Quoting kailalaila:

I think it's kind of funny when people talk about americans and how shitty it is, why don't those same people talk about how fucked up their country really is. it's easy to see how bad other countries are but never their own. imo

LiliM
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You are correct.  Our Health care sucks.  Hopefully, we are moving towards making it better.  So does our education.  I can't do anything other than what we've done, which is move to a district that is a great school district, high grad and college attendance rate, and hellish high property taxes to fund all this.  Until more Americans accept that kids or no, school districts affect everyone, from local to national level, can't do much else. 

The poverty thing confuses me.  Around me, which has a fairly high UE rate, I was able to get a job within a month.  Most of hte people I know are about the same. 

Mental illness is a fucking shame.  Less money on defense could fund a shitload of mental health care.  Agree with you there.

As for women being blamed for violent crimes, women are on the rise as far as being violent crime perpatrators.  There are more cases of child abuse and death at the hands of women.  Women hurt their SO/spouses.  Women are committing more fraud.  They're not being blamed - they are actually closing the gap on crime. 

Rapists - it depends on the jurisdiction. THe case in CA right now is atrocious.  In my state, rapists get life on a fairly regular basis.

We are divided.  I hate seeing and saying that, but we are.

And ALL these issues impassion us.  Just the fucking nutters are outta their trees about guns.  Are you referring to the petition to get rid of Piers?  what, 105k signed it last I looked?

We have 330 million people.  105k is a small, but obnoxiously vocal, minority. 

mary841108
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

oh see i automatically lean towards doe, she is the most self loathing, anti american person i've ever had the displeasure of encountering on this site.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Or crazymama. One of the two. I'm leaning towards crazymama because I JUST handed her her ass in another thread. Seriously like fifteen minutes ago. Exact same subject.

Quoting mary841108:

d.o.e....LOL

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Like we don't know who this is.

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

SavannahV
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

By mine. I love my country, so sue me.

Quoting autodidact:

By what metric are we still the greatest?

Quoting SavannahV:

Its our horrible president. Though guns are our rights and having them is one thing that makes us a free country. We are still the greatest nation.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

All the Canadians don't.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are so wrong about health care.  I'm American and I now live in Canada because of my husbands work.  I have a neurological disorder and I need to see a neurologist.  It will take me over 6 months just for a consultation.  In the US I can get in under a week.

Oh and if health care is so bad in the US why do all the Canadians go to the US for health care?

AMCMSM
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Because like MOST people ALL over the world they attach themselves to something easy. What do you have to do to in this gun control battle?? Read? Sign and e-petition? Other things like poverty and education take energy, time and money. People actually have to DO things. These CAN NOT be fixed with the signing of a bill. In general I think people in 1st world countries are lazy... NOT just Americans other wise Canadians would have solved the world hunger problem already.... We are use to computers and taking the path of least resistance. It is how humans are. JMO

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't, but it's hard to ignore the vicious gun control battles. Why don't the majority of citizens get equally impassioned about education? Or eradicating poverty?

Quoting autodidact:

Will thank you for painting us all with the same broad brush.  That doesn't reflect too well on you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
You think your the only ones who get then?

Quoting brebugmom91:

If we are that bad then why are all these illegals trying to get in? Hmmm.
MANDYMEOWS
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It only concerns the Second Amendment, a part of our Bill of Rights.

You're right. No biggie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)