Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it weird to put a dresser in your living room? *eta* pics

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 48 Replies

I moved in my apt in late november so the tree took up the space.  BUt now its gone and my living room literally echoes.

We have never had a palce this big and dont have the furniture to fill it.  

The couches are in  a square and behind them is a space big enough to fit a whole other couch set...  I have my ferret cage.  Im going to to hang some family photos in 8x10s.  And I was thinking of getting a long low dresser for the wall.

Im not very good at decorating.  Is that a strange idea?  wwyd?

This is the ugly echoing empty space.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM
No not at all. Depends on how you use it. Look up frugal decorating blogs and youll see lots of functional but seemingly odd furniture being used throughout peoples homes. Just call it a credenza and youll be ok
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I have an old antique low dresser in my living room-I took out the top 2 drawers and put shelves in and the TV is on top of that with the cable box and blu ray player underneath on where the drawers were removed. The two big drawers underenath store the discs and the stuff for the xbox.

428pm
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That's an awesome idea!

It's a wide space and my son has been using it to play with his hotwheels. 

I was thinking a dresser with cupboards would be great to store toys out of sight while still keeping an area for him to play in.  Plus I could put pretty candles or some such thing on top.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

I have an old antique low dresser in my living room-I took out the top 2 drawers and put shelves in and the TV is on top of that with the cable box and blu ray player underneath on where the drawers were removed. The two big drawers underenath store the discs and the stuff for the xbox.

-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
We keep a dresser in the living room for ds clothes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I have a dresser in my living room right now. We use it for toy storage and the WII, DVD player, etc sit on top...we used to have a floating shelf but DD started pulling up and I didn't want her pulling it over onto herself so a nice heavy dresser is working just fine.  Found it on Craiglists for $75, six drawers, white, perfect height, new condition, I was thrilled.

MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM
If done right it looks cute.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
What about a buffet? We have a buffet for spaces like those. Or you could put a desk for studying and papers etc. If you have young kiddos you can put a kiddie table with a small bookcase and hang their art work there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
We have a small dresser in our living room that we use as an end table.
jett250
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

no way, not weird at all. we have one in our foyer, and it very prectically hides paper, pens, kids craft stuff, bills, etc. i love dressers lol. wish i could figure out a way to justify one in my kitchen lol

theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I have a dresser in my living room right now but only until we get into a three bedroom apartment.  We are on the waiting list but it could be a few months.  There are two dressers in my room(one for me and one for DH) and one in my DDs room for her clothes.  They only place left to put a dresser for Jakes clothes(my DS only 3 months old) was in the living room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)