Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

flu??? were the kids that died vaccinated???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
??
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM
3 moms liked this
False. The vaccine does not give one the flu. Sometimes a person has a reaction to it that includes muscle aches and fever, but this is NOT the flu.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I haven't had the flu since childhood and have never had the flu shot. The flu shot often gives the person the flu and and is certainly no where near 100% effective.

The chance that they had the shot is pretty real.

ETA: The nasal spray can infect the person and the people around them. Not the shot, sorry it's early and I've been up with a sick kid.

Quoting littlelamb303:

I don't know but most likely not.  We get the flu shot here and since I started getting the vaccine, I never got the flu again.  DD always got the shot and has never had the flu.

Twofeathers
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Exactly, but many dont understand that there are diffrent stains of flu and it can mutate. Ive gotten the flu vaccine only because I am a RN and work within a hospital and it is mandatory for all workers to get one. Ive been on the fence about the flu vax myself. However, while others who are not vaxed are getting the full blown systems of the flu, I only have mild syptoms and anything that is going around seems to only last a few days (1-2) other than 7-10 like others.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one was vaccinated against this strain of flu.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM
The nasal spray absolutely can give you the flu.

Quoting Anonymous:

False. The vaccine does not give one the flu. Sometimes a person has a reaction to it that includes muscle aches and fever, but this is NOT the flu.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I haven't had the flu since childhood and have never had the flu shot. The flu shot often gives the person the flu and and is certainly no where near 100% effective.

ETA: The nasal spray can infect the person and the people around them. Not the shot, sorry it's early and I've been up with a sick kid.

Quoting littlelamb303:

I don't know but most likely not.  We get the flu shot here and since I started getting the vaccine, I never got the flu again.  DD always got the shot and has never had the flu.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Twofeathers
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree , and its a HUGE misconception isnt it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting littlelamb303:

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I haven't heard on the news. Every time they talk about it, I pay attention, wondering if they will clarify, give some stats about this "outbreak", but I haven't heard anything yet. 

jaysmommy04
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I am not sure.  The flu only helps to keep the flu away.  It is not 100%.  My son gets the flu shot every year, and last year a few months after getting the shot he caught the flu.  Although I was told that the flu shot could shorten the lifespan of the flu, also weaken the symptoms.  We are late getting the flu shot because everyone has been getting the shot this year.  We were only able to get my 2 yo her shot.  I am hoping that we can get my 8 yo a shot this afternoon.  I am going to start calling the walgreens or cvs around here.

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:11 AM
I have no clue. I do however know of a several families who got the shot and the flu has gotten them all. We didn't and haven't gotten the shot, have been around the flu and some aweful nasty wretched cold and haven't had even a sniffle. I attribute it to super healthy eating .... when we did get the shot we all wound up sick, except dh who never got the shot lol.
BigMamaMN
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

A 14 year old Minnesota girl died a couple days ago from "complications of the flu shot." 

h0tp0t
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
The strain with the most reported cases so far this season was NOT in this year's Flu shot.

So that really settles it. Flu shots are about as accurate as a weather forecast, they base the current year's shot on past data and educated guesses.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I am sure the majority of people realize that there aer different mutations of the flu.  You don't have to be an RN to know this.  I think what people are going off of, is the fact that it has not been said ( at least around here) that this strain of flu is any different than the regular seasonal flu we get,  other than its spreading a lot quicker.  Also, most physicians will say to get the flu shot regardless of the kind of flu. Even if its a different strain of the virus, the shot can help weaken the symptoms and lesson the amount of time it takes to recover.

Quoting Twofeathers:

Exactly, but many dont understand that there are diffrent stains of flu and it can mutate. Ive gotten the flu vaccine only because I am a RN and work within a hospital and it is mandatory for all workers to get one. Ive been on the fence about the flu vax myself. However, while others who are not vaxed are getting the full blown systems of the flu, I only have mild syptoms and anything that is going around seems to only last a few days (1-2) other than 7-10 like others.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one was vaccinated against this strain of flu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)