Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need help with potty training

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 28 Replies
We just bought Abby big girl panties today and are going to start potty training tomorrow.

I get the basics and what not but how do you ladies deal with potty training when you go out with the kids? Do you keep them in underwear or do you put a diaper on them? I'm not sure what i should do.

Also how much underwear do you have for them? I don't know how many i should buy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We used a pull up when we were out and about, until they were reliably trained.

destiny2nv
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I have no clue, its kind of a thing that just happens lol I've been trying to potty train DS almost 3 for six months now lol he only goes when HE wants.
*shrugs
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Always keep them in underwear and bring a change of clothes to keep in the car. I bought like 20 pairs of underwear for my son lol. It gets expensive!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

How old is she?
I never used pullups, they are just diapers and you can pee/poop in them. When dd wasn't fully trained, we'd put her in a diaper when we went out but for "practice,' she'd wear underwear at home. I have 20 pairs of underwear---admittedly, perhaps that's a bit excessive, but I never run out. Depends on how often you do laundry, really, and if she's having accidents.

Let your dd take the lead in potty training. As soon as I "let go" and let dd decide when she wanted to do it, she picked it up quickly, never had an accident, and had been dry for more than 2 months overnight even before she was fully potty trained.

Whether they wet the bed overnight has to do with a chemical in their brain. If it's not fully developed, they will wet the bed no matter if you stop liquids after a certain time at night. The more you relax, the better potty training will go. Bribes like M&Ms usually work. Putting dd on the toilet every 30 minutes did not work, she hated it. Even now, she hates when I ask her if she has to go. She says, "I'll tell you."

blessedmama4
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I start out only in underwear when we are at home, if it looks like they're having trouble (or I'm tired of cleaning up mess after mess) I will put them in pull-ups. I put them in pull ups when we go out or if we stay at Grandmas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Pull ups and when you are home nothing. They need to feel the sensation of peeing on themselves. If you really dedicate yourself to this, by next week you can have a potty trained child. Also, bribery never hurts lol. Like candy lol I wouldn't start putting underwear on her until she has shown you she can go in the potty, that can also be kind of like a reward.
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
She's gonna be 4 next month

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is she?
I never used pullups, they are just diapers and you can pee/poop in them. When dd wasn't fully trained, we'd put her in a diaper when we went out but for "practice,' she'd wear underwear at home. I have 20 pairs of underwear---admittedly, perhaps that's a bit excessive, but I never run out. Depends on how often you do laundry, really, and if she's having accidents.

Let your dd take the lead in potty training. As soon as I "let go" and let dd decide when she wanted to do it, she picked it up quickly, never had an accident, and had been dry for more than 2 months overnight even before she was fully potty trained.

Whether they wet the bed overnight has to do with a chemical in their brain. If it's not fully developed, they will wet the bed no matter if you stop liquids after a certain time at night. The more you relax, the better potty training will go. Bribes like M&Ms usually work. Putting dd on the toilet every 30 minutes did not work, she hated it. Even now, she hates when I ask her if she has to go. She says, "I'll tell you."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

And of course, make sure to let her pick out the underwear. If she likes Dora and you get her Dora underwear, you can say, "Remember, we don't pee on Dora."

adhaodd1child
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I kept the diaper bag filled with extra clothes and allowed accidents to happen because it encouraged my son to tell me also made sure to go to the bathroom as soon as we got to whatever place and again before leaving.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

She's gonna be 4 next month

My dd was 3 1/2 when she was fully trained. At 3, she was in diapers, under the table in a restaurant, squatting and pooping! She is so tall that she looked ridiculous on the changing table in restaurant bathrooms! She's getting a diaper changed and asking "How many syllables does rocket ship have?" It was getting embarrassing. Finally, it just clicked. What helped with her was the Potty Power DVD from Amazon.com. Parents hate it, but it worked for my dd. After the first time I played it, she ripped her diaper off and exclaimed, "No more diapers!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN