Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need help with potty training

We just bought Abby big girl panties today and are going to start potty training tomorrow.

I get the basics and what not but how do you ladies deal with potty training when you go out with the kids? Do you keep them in underwear or do you put a diaper on them? I'm not sure what i should do.

Also how much underwear do you have for them? I don't know how many i should buy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM
We just got dd2 potty trained!! It only took a couple of weeks once we got serious.

We invested in some plastic mattress covers, bought about 20 pairs of big girl undies, and hoped for the best.

We started with pull ups months ago. She would occasionally tell us if she needed to go, but she basically treated them like diapers. So we took the plunge, sat her down and told her she would only be wearing big girl panties from now on.
I had to change sheets at 4 am 2-3 nights. And we had a mess with a poopie pair of undies once. However, she figured out really quickly that she didn't like the way it felt when he had an accident.
We also avoided potty chairs. I don't like them. I think the mess is gross. We found a little seat that hooks onto the normal toilet lid so she doesn't fall in. But she usually just prefers to have one of us with her and holds herself up on the big girl potty instead of using the seat now :)
My main advice is to make sure to ask if she needs to potty frequently. We usually checked about once an hour when she first started using the potty.

Good luck momma!! It's amazing to not have to pack diapers! And they're freaking expensive. I paid what I woul have spent for a box of diapers on her panties, and they're washable ;) big plus for the wallet !!
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
So far she's picked out my little pony,i only got one package so I'm gonna have to take her out and let her pick more

Quoting Anonymous:

And of course, make sure to let her pick out the underwear. If she likes Dora and you get her Dora underwear, you can say, "Remember, we don't pee on Dora."

PrincessDoctor
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

we have twenty pairs that have never been opened.  she uses the same set of 8.  keep them in underwear when you're out and take them to the restroom every hour.  we take our daughter when we arrive or leave somewhere and also ten minutes after consuming liquids or having a meal.  if she doesnt go then we wait 10 minutes and try again.  shes to the point where she stays dry all day and mostly tells us when she has to go except in the cases above where we just take her.  too many wet pants and car seats until we figured it out. buy a piddle pad or two for the car seat from babies r us. that helps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Quoting PrincessDoctor:

we have twenty pairs that have never been opened.  she uses the same set of 8.  keep them in underwear when you're out and take them to the restroom every hour.  we take our daughter when we arrive or leave somewhere and also ten minutes after consuming liquids or having a meal.  if she doesnt go then we wait 10 minutes and try again.  shes to the point where she stays dry all day and mostly tells us when she has to go except in the cases above where we just take her.  too many wet pants and car seats until we figured it out. buy a piddle pad or two for the car seat from babies r us. that helps.

Excellent idea for OP, the piddle pad. My dd refused to let me put them on the car seat. She's that headstrong. Fortunately, she never peed in the car seat.

bec94
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I put a pullup over her underwear when we went out. When you are first starting you may go through 5 or more pairs the first day. Depends on the child and if they are ready. It may be 2 full blown accidents then a few it starts, but they stop it and finish on the potty. Good luck!
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I agree with not using potty chairs. My son hops onto the toilet and does his thing lol.  He'll be 3 next month and so we haven't gotten to the standing up just yet.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

We just got dd2 potty trained!! It only took a couple of weeks once we got serious.

We invested in some plastic mattress covers, bought about 20 pairs of big girl undies, and hoped for the best.

We started with pull ups months ago. She would occasionally tell us if she needed to go, but she basically treated them like diapers. So we took the plunge, sat her down and told her she would only be wearing big girl panties from now on.
I had to change sheets at 4 am 2-3 nights. And we had a mess with a poopie pair of undies once. However, she figured out really quickly that she didn't like the way it felt when he had an accident.
We also avoided potty chairs. I don't like them. I think the mess is gross. We found a little seat that hooks onto the normal toilet lid so she doesn't fall in. But she usually just prefers to have one of us with her and holds herself up on the big girl potty instead of using the seat now :)
My main advice is to make sure to ask if she needs to potty frequently. We usually checked about once an hour when she first started using the potty.

Good luck momma!! It's amazing to not have to pack diapers! And they're freaking expensive. I paid what I woul have spent for a box of diapers on her panties, and they're washable ;) big plus for the wallet !!

Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

All I have to say is... good luck! I am potty training my 2.5 year old twins right now and it is very frustrating. They hate the potty so that makes it like 10x harder. lol. But I really want to get them potty trained by the time they are 3 and before this baby comes. So we have about 5 months. My 2 oldest boys didn't potty train until they were 4 and I do not want to go through that again!

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't use pullups! They confuse kids, we do naked at home and underwear in public. Don't ask if they need to go just take them. I didn't use candy or treats for fear of my lo expecting everytime. He's three now and does great, tells me when he needs to go. 

If everything seems under control,

your just not going fast enough.

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Just a tip.... With ss, we would put fruit loops in the toilet and have him aim at his favorite color ;)

He thought it was fun, and we were psyched that he learned to aim without pering all over the bathroom!!!

Quoting owl0210:

I agree with not using potty chairs. My son hops onto the toilet and does his thing lol.  He'll be 3 next month and so we haven't gotten to the standing up just yet.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2five87:

All I have to say is... good luck! I am potty training my 2.5 year old twins right now and it is very frustrating. They hate the potty so that makes it like 10x harder. lol. But I really want to get them potty trained by the time they are 3 and before this baby comes. So we have about 5 months. My 2 oldest boys didn't potty train until they were 4 and I do not want to go through that again!

Read the advice on here from other moms. When I stopped forcing the potty training (insisting dd go to the bathroom, putting her on toilet every 30 min) and relaxed, she picked it right up at her own speed. Something clicked and she figured it out herself. Yes, she was 3 1/2, which is a little late, but it's done!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN