Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing? What a joke *Update with a little clarification*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why does every woman want to be a nurse? Do you really have no other ambition in life than to follow and do what every other mother is doing? I'm sure there are some women that have always wanted to be a nurse in order to help people and such.

I feel like 60% of (mostly mothers) that get into nursing do so because they feel like that's the only job they can do that's obtainable and respectable.

Do you ladies really have no real dreams of your own? Do you have no confidence in yourself to do what it is YOU want to do in life?

Now this is not for the ones that dreamed of this all their life. I just really doubt EVERY one of these women that are so determined to be nurses really wanted this.

*To the people who assume that I flunked out of nursing school and am bitter I will stop you right now. I have never wanted to nor tried to pursue a career in nursing. I am finishing my Bachelor degree in biochemistry and am currently applying to med schools to become a physician. That being said I didn't post this because I think nursing isn't a respectable career, because it most certainly is. I posted this because I get sick of dealing with nurses who are sh*t because they did it for the money or because they didn't know what else to do with their life when there are people waiting in line to get into nursing school who have a true passion for helping people.*

*People will see what they want to see. If you are a typical MC frequenter than you are going to assume that I am trying to put the nursing profession down because that's what you WANT to believe. You want to make it into something it's not. I could say I believe nurses are only a step down from God and you would still say that I think I'm better than them because I didn't actually call them God. I'm not here to fight with your narrow minded-ness.

My point is FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! Nursing is NOT easy, so instead of trying to get into the program because you think it will be a piece of cake and easy money do what YOU want to do. Because if you're getting into it for the wrong reasons you will be severly disappointed! I see women around me all day in school going into or in the nursing program who just jump into it with this flippant mentality that it's some easy job that they can make some money in. THOSE are the ones I have a problem with. I also have a problem with MDs who do the same thing!

Whatever you do, do it with heart or don't bother doing it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get that fry cook job at Burger King!

Quoting Anonymous:

My dreams are higher than nursing. Nice try though. ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh look some one's bitter because they flunked out of nursing school!

sarahfire
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I don't! I hate hospitals, needles, and people. Yeah don't think I would make a very good nurse....healthcare is definitely not the field for me.

VannaMae307
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I am constantly sick and I can immediately tell when someone is a nurse by calling and someone is a nurse because it's a job. The ones who just treat it like a job are terrible, they do the bare minimum and leave it at that to scurry off to the nursing station and read magazines. The ones that have it as a calling go the extra mile, they ask me how I am feeling, what I'm thinking, etc. Its sad that some women just do it as a job because a caregiver's attitude really does have an effect on the patient.

caito
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It's a stable job, there will always be a need for nurses in one form or another. It pays better than working at McDonald's. Some people genuinely want to help others.

So yeah, fuck you, my mom was a nurse for 30 years, dickweed. My dad is in healthcare as well, he's a respitory therapist.

AirForceWife13
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Nursing jobs are always in demand. Thats probably why they think its a good move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
1 mom liked this
I'm sick of meeting nurses!
Every time I get into a conversation she turns out to be a nurse or going to school to be one.
That's great and all but the are like a million other options out there!

I want to be a teacher. I've always wanted to be one since I was a kid.
I am bump it up to professor one day depending on how ambitious I get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I've wanted to be a nurse since I was 4 years old. 21 years later I still want to be a nurse, just a pediatric nurse now.
Danielle245
I don't exactly agree with the way you're putting it, but I do feel like so many females I talk to or went to school with are going to school for nursing. I can't imagine all of them have wanted to be a nurse all their lives. I hear job security and pay rates as ronsoning a lot. I'm majoring in accounting personally and have yet to hear of anyone outside of the school going for anything other than medical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairyjester
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

eh would never be a nurse , humans are just gross

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That's respectable that you seem to be following your passion! That's what gets me, if you're going into the medical field don't do it because you want money (sure that's a nice perk) do it because you have a passion for it and for helping people!

Quoting marinenonstop:

Ummmm nursing is a well paying profession with a work schedule that's open 24 hrs a day so it can work with anyone's schedule...which is great for working moms. What's the problem? I for one dont want to be a nurse. Too much politics and everything you do has to be ordered or approved by a dr. Im one semester away from getting my paramedic :) get to be outside..see all types of calls. Get there when the pt is absolutely at their worse. Have standing orders that i can utilize independently.. and once i get them to the hospital my job is done :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured