Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nursing? What a joke *Update with a little clarification*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why does every woman want to be a nurse? Do you really have no other ambition in life than to follow and do what every other mother is doing? I'm sure there are some women that have always wanted to be a nurse in order to help people and such.

I feel like 60% of (mostly mothers) that get into nursing do so because they feel like that's the only job they can do that's obtainable and respectable.

Do you ladies really have no real dreams of your own? Do you have no confidence in yourself to do what it is YOU want to do in life?

Now this is not for the ones that dreamed of this all their life. I just really doubt EVERY one of these women that are so determined to be nurses really wanted this.

*To the people who assume that I flunked out of nursing school and am bitter I will stop you right now. I have never wanted to nor tried to pursue a career in nursing. I am finishing my Bachelor degree in biochemistry and am currently applying to med schools to become a physician. That being said I didn't post this because I think nursing isn't a respectable career, because it most certainly is. I posted this because I get sick of dealing with nurses who are sh*t because they did it for the money or because they didn't know what else to do with their life when there are people waiting in line to get into nursing school who have a true passion for helping people.*

*People will see what they want to see. If you are a typical MC frequenter than you are going to assume that I am trying to put the nursing profession down because that's what you WANT to believe. You want to make it into something it's not. I could say I believe nurses are only a step down from God and you would still say that I think I'm better than them because I didn't actually call them God. I'm not here to fight with your narrow minded-ness.

My point is FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! Nursing is NOT easy, so instead of trying to get into the program because you think it will be a piece of cake and easy money do what YOU want to do. Because if you're getting into it for the wrong reasons you will be severly disappointed! I see women around me all day in school going into or in the nursing program who just jump into it with this flippant mentality that it's some easy job that they can make some money in. THOSE are the ones I have a problem with. I also have a problem with MDs who do the same thing!

Whatever you do, do it with heart or don't bother doing it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (341-350):
lhunsicker
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Even thou nursing is a field of endless possiblitly  And a job that will be always been in a need. I have tried to be in the medical feilds in many ways. It is a great place as long as you have the support that you need to get threw the classes. 

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Never wanted to be a nurse EVER , I am a bartender and happy lol :)

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM

My mom wanted me to go into nursing. I knew I could do it (I was a vet tech for years) so I applied to community college, was accepted, and started the program (my bachelor's is in psychology). I thought I'd enjoy pediatric nursing. I did 2 semesters, aced my classes (including pharm, which was the weed-out course) and got ready to start clinicals. And freaked out because I realized this was NOT what I wanted to do!  I dropped out and eventually went back to school to get my teaching certification. I'm now very happy as a teacher. 

I see where you are coming from, OP. I could've easily finished the program and been a decent nurse, but my heart wouldn't have been in it the way it is with teaching. 

428pm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Ive not encountered many people who wanted to be a nurse.  But without the edits, I thought you were talking about breast feeding lol

AphrexiaX
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM
As the daughter if a nurse, I have listened to her on more than one occasion complain about the nursing students that are only there because of the money. She became a nurse over 40 years ago. Her starting pay was only $1.75 an hour. She had wanted to be a nurse since she was a little girl. She is saddened by the ones that are not doing it because they actually care about people, but are in it for the money.
I remember her telling me about one of the nursing students telling her it wasn't her job to change a patient's bed. It is when the floor is shirt staffed and you are just a student.
She retired last year to take care of her aging parents.

OP I agree with you. If you are in it for the money and have no compassion I sure as hell do not want you as my nurse. And you can tell who is there for the paycheck and not the patients.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I've always wanted to be a nurse, but yeah, choosing it for money isn't fair to patients or employers. If you have no passion for it your bedside manner will suffer.
kelly617
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I'm gonna guess a lot of ladies got into it because the pay is pretty good, benefits are good....they can find work almost anywhere and even when shit hits the fan there is always a need for medical staff

I'm not a nurse though I did think about it...I'm an airline mechanic instead....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

If you can't have child/ren of your own being a nurse in the neonatal unit is the way to go :)

JayeC2
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM

My mom is a nurse, and about 98% of my dad's family STILL asks me when I'm going to become a nurse too.....I explain to them that I like being a pet nurse much better than dealing with people....but they seem to still think one day I'll end up a nurse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM
If everyone is becoming a nurse why are they so high in demand? Oh that's why people want to be a nurse! There is always a job in healthcare.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)