Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Disturbing Misunderstanding

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 111 Replies

My son's pronunciation issues of a few words put me in a very awkward position yesterday.  

My mother was watching him yesterday and when I went to pick him up and he was bouncing off the walls my mom started talking about something that had happen that "disturbed her"...

"So Remi and I were going to have a snack and I had a bowl of acorns with the caps and stems still on.  I asked if he wanted to help me crack a few acorns and he was looking at one and pointed to the stem and said 'look a little dick, my little dick.  It freaked me out, who would have told him he had a little dick?  Who else has seen his little penis and called it a little dick?'"....

At that point im listening and the first thing that comes to mind and I tell her is...

"Huh, thats weird, we dont even use that word.  We say pee pee and penis...I know I cuss a lot but never have I or even my husband said dick, thats such a stupid word.".

My mom gave me this look, this look that said, "Why is your baby talking about little dicks!  Who is touching him!?  Someone is abusing him!"...

I pondered a moment, thinking he must have just heard it somewhere....then I was disturbed a moment right along with her...Then it dawned on me!  STICK!  I giggled a little a said, "mom are you sure he wasnt saying stick?  a little stick, my little stick?"...At first she totally dismissed it, "yes im sure, I had him say it several times and it was clear as day, then I scolded him and told him we dont say that word that its an ugly word."...

I wasn't convinced....

I called my baby over and said, "Remi, say 'little stick'"...

Clear as day it came out of his mouth as "Litte Dick"...

Say, "My little STICK"

He very clearly said, "My little DICK"

I laughed...Had him say stick a few more times to drill the point home to grammie.  

She agreed and looked embarrassed..."ya, ok...you could be right.  *nods* oops *shrug*"...

Then I had a giggle about how my poor baby got in trouble for saying STICK....smh...

Its usually funny when little kids miss pronounce words and sound like they are saying something else...In this instance it was not funny at all!  

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

LOL!! Did you tell him it's okay to say stick?

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

haha YES.  She said he looked so confused when she scolded him for saying it, like "Really gramma I cant say stick?"...

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

LOL!! Did you tell him it's okay to say stick?

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO!

Nikki286
by Tosya on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

lol it was funy after the fact... like fuck instead of truck i knew one kid who when he said cup it sounded like cunt dunno why but yeah.. poor kids 

Ms.Mysterious
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

My youngest said f*ck instead of truck. I got a call from a mom in a play group I was in saying the other moms were concerned because their kids told them that my kid was cussing. I was all confused... and then I realized that he had to be saying truck. lol 

CafeMom Tickers

Action_Jaxon
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
my now 4yo sister used to attend a church day school. Aroung age 2 or 3 she would call her pants "britches" only sometimes it would come out "bitches." her teacher didnt like that too well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Right!  Yes, I thought the fuck truck stage was funny too!  If my son had really said  "My little Dick",  I would have really been freaked out too, bc of the context ya know?  Do I was really my mommy brain kicked in and I realized the stem was a little stick...phew...

Quoting Nikki286:

lol it was funy after the fact... like fuck instead of truck i knew one kid who when he said cup it sounded like cunt dunno why but yeah.. poor kids 

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Nah, it's still funny. 

*giggles profusely*

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Ooo yah!  I had trouble with a play group because my son was chasing a boy and yelling "YOUR FAG YOUR FAG!"....Little did they know they were playing with legos and the little boy ran off with the FLAG, my son was chasing him trying to get the FLAG back.  lol...

Quoting Ms.Mysterious:

My youngest said f*ck instead of truck. I got a call from a mom in a play group I was in saying the other moms were concerned because their kids told them that my kid was cussing. I was all confused... and then I realized that he had to be saying truck. lol 

mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
lol, for the longest when da said truck it sounded like fuck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)