Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Silver or Plastic?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

When going out to eat do you use the plastic togo utensils?  I've worked in several different restaurants and even at the one that was considered upscale ppl would still insist on plastic..... or dip the real silverware in hot water.   Does anyone here do this? Why? I've heard several different reasoning's but they almost always add up to paranoia. 

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PeregrineWaltz
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

You must be talking about a germaphobe to the Nth degree.  I trust that if my silver looks clean that it has been washed and will use it.

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I won't drink off of the rim of a drinking glass.  I always use a straw.  Waiters/waitresses tend to handle the glass at the top of the rim instead of on the bottom or in the middle.

As for the silverware, same thing.  When did you wash your hands before rolling up the silverware?

It could be anything in a restaurant.  I don't mind the silverware so much as I do the cups/glasses.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM

The way I was trained (and I do understand that not everyone does this) is that you never touch any part of a glass or silverware that a customers mouth could touch.  I could understand better if the silverware was dirty or had water spots on it but some ppl will tell you before you even have a chance to say hello that they want plastic. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

I won't drink off of the rim of a drinking glass.  I always use a straw.  Waiters/waitresses tend to handle the glass at the top of the rim instead of on the bottom or in the middle.

As for the silverware, same thing.  When did you wash your hands before rolling up the silverware?

It could be anything in a restaurant.  I don't mind the silverware so much as I do the cups/glasses.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I work in a diner and have never had anyone request that. We don't even carry plastic silverware. 

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The way the flu seems to be spreading right now. I can fully understand this.

angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Thats my line of thinking too lol 

Quoting PeregrineWaltz:

You must be talking about a germaphobe to the Nth degree.  I trust that if my silver looks clean that it has been washed and will use it.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ew. Good point, now that I think on it...

Quoting jillbailey26:

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM

That's what you're SUPPOSED to do, lol.  Not everyone follows that.

Some people are just weird and prefer plastic because it's sealed.  I can understand why.

Quoting angelic.zombie:

The way I was trained (and I do understand that not everyone does this) is that you never touch any part of a glass or silverware that a customers mouth could touch.  I could understand better if the silverware was dirty or had water spots on it but some ppl will tell you before you even have a chance to say hello that they want plastic. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)