Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know what to do!!!!!!!! ****UPDATE****

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 22 Replies
My baby girl is sick with the flu. She's 7 years old, and so freaking sick right now. Her doctor gave her tamiflu and she's taking that, and I'm trying to keep her as comfy as I can, but I don't know what else to do! I'm taking her temp every few minutes because I'm paranoid she will get too hot and have a febral ( ? On the spelling) seizure. She had one when she was almost 2 and I thought I was going to loose her.

Right now I'm laying on her bean bag reading, and playing on my phone, while she's asleep on my bed. I will NOT be leaving her in this room alone. I'm so terrified that her fever will end up sky rocketing and she will have another seizure. I can't even bring myself to go to the bathroom, which is just down the hallway!

She's taking the tamiflu, and mucinex children's for cough. She's got advil for children for her fever.

****UPDATE****
Had to give DD a lukewarm bath. Her temp spiked up to 103.8. She's laying on the couch now with a cool washcloth on her head. Her temp is stuck at 101.4 to 101.8 now. I'm still stressed out, but I'm dealing with it. So far no seizures. Hopefully no seizures at all tonight. Thank you to the ladies who have wished her well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryjmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccadac

I have a daughter the same age who started having feveral seizures when she was 18 mo and has had 4 since.  GOOD news though my doc has told me that by the age of 5 or six they usually do not have them anymore...on that note take a breath....still scary though aI COMPLETELY understand why you dont want to leave her alone but go pee and while in there get a bucket and cloth with cool water to bathe her head or but her in the bath with popcicles. These seizures are SCARY but I was also told that there is not a lot of harm in them if they are short.  ( I also have a child with nocturnal seizures....so yeah... know how you feel) remember to get sleep yourself  when I have a sick one or my oldest is showing signs we need to up his meds I make this mistake and watchthem and dont sleep and BOY DO I PAY THE PRICE FOR THAT!! Good luck and remember to breathe!

maryjmom
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Febrile
KenneMaw
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Hope she feels better soon and that the tamiflu really helps bring that fever down.  I heard a doctor on Good Morning America say that sunlight and increased humidity in the 'sick room' will help kill the flu germs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Why did she not get a flu shot?
christyg
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

If you have to go to the bathroom, put a cold wet washcloth on her forehead while you are gone. It will keep her hever down for a moment or two, so that you dont worry.

Maybe you can take a nap in the bed with her, so that you can feel her movements and get some rest? Taking care of a sick kid, and especially stressing out about it, is exhausting. If you dont take care of yourself, its harder to take care of her. Enjoy the peaceful moment and let yourself SLEEP. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)