Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He stole from school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
My 3 year old stole a car from school, I found it in his bag and asked him about it. He said it came from the school.

I'm not mad at him, he doesn't understand but I talked to him and explained we can't take other people's things. That the car belonged to the school so we have to take it back and we can't put things in our bags that don't belong to us. I told him that's called stealing and we don't steal.

I wasnt mad and I didn't yell or scream.

He doesn't get it :( I can look at him and tell he doesn't get what I'm saying. He's a very bright kid I think he just had a hard time grasping this and I don't know how else to explain it to him. 5 minutes after talking to him he asked to play with the car in his bag. I went over the entire thing again about not taking things that aren't ours and a few minutes later he asked again to play with the car.

What am I doing wrong. I will not spank him for this.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
BUMP!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM

He gets it just fine. He's ignoring you. You need a firm NO here. That's all. Don't complicate it more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Can you go and take something of his to try to make him understand about how taking it was wrong? I'm not saying to keep it but take it and put it in your bag to show what he did. Actions are better at that age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

just reinforce it tomorrow.  take him to school and have him give it back and apologise to his teacher then let it go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

He is 3!!!!!!   Just put the car up and say no if he asks to play with it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
That's what we are planning to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

just reinforce it tomorrow.  take him to school and have him give it back and apologise to his teacher then let it go.

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

LOL I am so tired when you said your 3 year old stole a car from school I thought you meant a actual CAR like he got behind the wheel and started a car and drove home!! I think I need sleep!

areyouatroll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Ya not much you can do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

DD was 3 when she shoplifted.  we had been in the dollar store.  i kept telling her not to touch things and put that down etc.  made it a point to check her hands before we left.  got all the way out to the car and found a ball in her pocket.  i took her out and marched her back into the store by the back of her shirt.  she had to give it back to the cashier and apologize and she was told that if she ever did it again the police would be called and she wouldn't be allowed back in the store.  for about 3 months i wouldn't let her wear anything with pockets and she got a pat down every time we went to leave a store.   it worked. she still picks things up but she makes sure nothing leaves the store with us if it didnt' get paid for and now she's always wanting to do the paying 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN