Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your kids help with your home?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 79 Replies

Tomorrow building pest control is coming and all out kitchen cupbaords, drawers and bathroom counter and cupboards needs to be emptied as well as fridge and stove moved out.

My sis thinks Im mean for making my 7 yr old help me clear the cupbaords.

There is a waist high wood barricade across the kitchen entrance ways, so he stood on one side while I handed him everything and he stacked it in the dining room.

Do you make your kids help out or am I should I struggle on my own because he's just a kid?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

He is plenty old enough to help, your sister is being silly.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It's their home too.  If you don't teach them to help out now, are they just going to magically learn one day?  Yes my kids help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hell yeah I make my kids help. They are 11 and 14, they need to learn at any age. I'm not making them re-shingle the roof or anything crazy like that, but I make them help around the house. The only thing I don't make them do is dishes. They know how to clean the bathroom, living room, floors, laundry, un load the dishwasher and wipe all counter tops and the kitchen table. They alternate each week on what chores they have to do.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Uh, yes.  My kids have been helping around the house since they could walk.  They are almost 10, 12 and 17.  There are 5 people in this house, and all 5 of us take care of our home.

LOL  Just last night my 12 year old washed the pans from dinner, the 9 year old wiped down the counters and the 17 year old swept the kitchen and dining rooms.

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting spunky946:

It's their home too.  If you don't teach them to help out now, are they just going to magically learn one day?  Yes my kids help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
428pm
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

honestly thats what I thought,it's just him and me in this apt, and it took us over 20 trips to clear the cupboards, if I had to do that on my own I wouldve popped a hip jumping over the frickin barricade!

Quoting Anonymous:

He is plenty old enough to help, your sister is being silly.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yes my kids help out. How else are you supposed to teach them how to run their own households?

ATALHEA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Yep all of my kids help. And my kids don't get paid for chores. We all live here so it is everyone's responsibility. Of course older kids have to do more than the younger ones but everyone has to help. (My kids are 6,8,11,14,and 16)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
My 2 year old helps me do a lot of things. Not cruel. Kids learn they are part of a household and have a responsibility to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
My 10 y/o has a chore list and has had it since she was 6. My 3y/o cleans up after herself, cleans her room and will help sort laundry. Chores teach responsibility
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN