Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if my dad passed away a month ago

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
And one his social security checks came one week ago. Will I be able to cash that once I get a death certifacate thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
DarksMama
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Don't shred the check babe. Take it to the local Soc. Sec. office, and explain to them what the situation is, then ask them for written proof that you've returned the check, and stash the note they give you with your Dad's things (Death Cert and such). Best to be thorough.

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay. I didn't know it was fraud. Guess I will shred it

Wicked.Jester
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I lost a parent to suicide.  I didn't suddenly turn stupid because of it.

And there is a really good place to find out that information, from the social security website itself.  Or by calling the office.

Quoting lilbit53009:

jeez you see she just lost her dad a month ago and isn't thinking straight

she asked a question before she did anything...wtf is wrong with you bitches on here...damn!

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

So what?  Why on earth would you think your Dad's SS benefits are yours to keep?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah sorry this is the first I had a parent pass. I am learning as I go. Which is why I asked.

Quoting thetrollcat:

wow really, you really think you can do that?

dbcmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Some of these women are just so rude! She didn't know she was asking a question and some of you women just go and attack her. I'm sorry for your loss. **hugs** don't let them put you down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilbit53009
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this

so are you her? do you expect everyone to act the same as you all the time? sorry for your loss...but if lost my dad i wouldn't be thinking straight either. but i wouldn't expect everyone to react the same way i would.

and she's not stupid...she'd be stupid if she just went ahead and cashed it. she asked a question.

every single question asked on this site could be answered by more qualified individuals. so...should the site be shut down? or should people not be allowed to ask questions unless you think they're "not stupid questions?"

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

I lost a parent to suicide.  I didn't suddenly turn stupid because of it.

And there is a really good place to find out that information, from the social security website itself.  Or by calling the office.

Quoting lilbit53009:

jeez you see she just lost her dad a month ago and isn't thinking straight

she asked a question before she did anything...wtf is wrong with you bitches on here...damn!

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

So what?  Why on earth would you think your Dad's SS benefits are yours to keep?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah sorry this is the first I had a parent pass. I am learning as I go. Which is why I asked.

Quoting thetrollcat:

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It has to be returned with DECEASED marked on the envelope. In fact there may even be a place to check on the outside of the envelope that saus deceased.

If you cash it, you can get into trouble with the law

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Does it have to be certified?

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

No!!! Return it!!

Quoting Anonymous:

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Send it back don't cash it.
jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I'm not sure. Call the S.S. office, they will guide you better then we can. I do know it has to go back though.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

No!!! Return it!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay thanks. And thank u to those who realize. Not everyone knows all the rules. I won't mail it today. I panicked and put in the mail box. After th reaction I got. But I will call and find out. I was not going to try to cash it til I asked around. Thanks

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

I'm not sure. Call the S.S. office, they will guide you better then we can. I do know it has to go back though.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

No!!! Return it!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but is the check in YOUR name? What makes you think government owes YOU that check>?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

She never said the gov't owed her the money.

It's an honest question because it's perfectly reasonable to think the gov't owed her father money and that it's now part of the estate.  For example, if he filed his taxes in early Feb, died in late Feb and the return comes in March, if would be perfectly legal to cash it and deposit it into the estate'saccount.   If you don't know anything about social security (I don't), how would she know whether they pay proactively (Feb 1st check for Feb) or retroactively (March 1st check for Feb)?  If it's the latter, there's an argument that the estate is entitled to it (or at least an amount through the date in Feb that he died).

sometimes cat's funny.  this time she was a bitch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)