Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if my dad passed away a month ago

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
And one his social security checks came one week ago. Will I be able to cash that once I get a death certifacate thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (51-60):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

LOL you dont get tax refund on SS...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

lol at government owing people as an estate

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but if a check is written in a person's name and that name is NOT yours, then it is only common sense to know you cannot cash that check. If the check is government check then most would know it is not wise to cash a government check not addressed to you.

SSI is not an estate fund btw

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but is the check in YOUR name? What makes you think government owes YOU that check>?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah sorry this is the first I had a parent pass. I am learning as I go. Which is why I asked.

Quoting thetrollcat:

wow really, you really think you can do that?

She never said the gov't owed her the money.

It's an honest question because it's perfectly reasonable to think the gov't owed her father money and that it's now part of the estate.  For example, if he filed his taxes in early Feb, died in late Feb and the return comes in March, if would be perfectly legal to cash it and deposit it into the estate'saccount.   If you don't know anything about social security (I don't), how would she know whether they pay proactively (Feb 1st check for Feb) or retroactively (March 1st check for Feb)?  If it's the latter, there's an argument that the estate is entitled to it (or at least an amount through the date in Feb that he died).

sometimes cat's funny.  this time she was a bitch.

That's absolutely not true.  Executors/executrixs (sp?) of estates cash checks written in the name of the deceased all the time.  And the whole point of the post was that she DIDN"T know, so how the hell was she to know it's not an "estate" thing.  People pay into SS just like they pay taxes.  She doesn't know what the gov't might "owe" the estate.

wow. you know nothing about estates, do you?

oh sure, government owes people once they are old LOL

you are idiot. he's not old.  he's dead.  and you're damn right it owes the estate if he was entitled to tax refund.  not knowing anything about SS, maybe she thought it was the same thing.  I'm done.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

DixieL
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I think you have to send it back.

mommy2annaliese
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
NO! You'll go to jail return it asap
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.  My father passed away last year and I had to handle the SS payments.  

The funeral home should notify SS for you.  Any money paid to him prior to his death does not have to be returned by money received after his passing must be repaid.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Gotta love when people die and all their lousy family can think of is money.
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

there are expenses that come when someone passes and the next of kin may not be in a position to absorb those costs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Bullshit. A freakin little ss check wouldn't have helped. She's obviously not covering the cost, she just thought she could have it. He passed a month ago he's already been buried and everything. Your Debts may fall on your spouse when you die but they don't fall on your kids.

Quoting katy_kay08:

there are expenses that come when someone passes and the next of kin may not be in a position to absorb those costs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM

no there is a box to check on the envelope that says the person is deceased and it then gets returned.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

you don't know if it would have helped or not. 

While one's debts do not fall on your surviving children there are absolutely costs that can fall to them.  

When my father passed he died in his home.  We had to have medical waste cleaners come in and dispose of certain items before we could get in and even start to clean up.  There was storage fees as we had only a few weeks to get him moved and the entire cost of services fell to us because there was no type of insurance to cover it.  

While we were in a position to absorb these expenses, I don't for a second assume everyone else is in the same position.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Bullshit. A freakin little ss check wouldn't have helped. She's obviously not covering the cost, she just thought she could have it. He passed a month ago he's already been buried and everything. Your Debts may fall on your spouse when you die but they don't fall on your kids.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Anonymous:

ABeautifulQadar
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What??? No that is illegal.

pregnant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)