Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if my dad passed away a month ago

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
And one his social security checks came one week ago. Will I be able to cash that once I get a death certifacate thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM
What if it was issued the day he died

Quoting katy_kay08:

I'm sorry for your loss.  My father passed away last year and I had to handle the SS payments.  

The funeral home should notify SS for you.  Any money paid to him prior to his death does not have to be returned by money received after his passing must be repaid.  

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM
This

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

No, it needs to be returned

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM
How do u know if I covered the cost it was on my credit card. I paied for everything

Quoting Anonymous:

Bullshit. A freakin little ss check wouldn't have helped. She's obviously not covering the cost, she just thought she could have it. He passed a month ago he's already been buried and everything. Your Debts may fall on your spouse when you die but they don't fall on your kids.

Quoting katy_kay08:

there are expenses that come when someone passes and the next of kin may not be in a position to absorb those costs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Gotta love when people die and all their lousy family can think of is money.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM
This.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

No, it needs to be returned
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

What the motherfuck? Your bitchass needs to take a seat. She's saying she'll return it, not being a cunt about it, and you keep on being a bitch. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but is the check in YOUR name? What makes you think government owes YOU that check>?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah sorry this is the first I had a parent pass. I am learning as I go. Which is why I asked.

Quoting thetrollcat:

wow really, you really think you can do that?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM

in your reply I see.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, imma bitch.

Gotcha!

Quoting Anonymous:

What the motherfuck? Your bitchass needs to take a seat. She's saying she'll return it, not being a cunt about it, and you keep on being a bitch. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but is the check in YOUR name? What makes you think government owes YOU that check>?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah sorry this is the first I had a parent pass. I am learning as I go. Which is why I asked.

Quoting thetrollcat:

wow really, you really think you can do that?

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Riiight.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do u know if I covered the cost it was on my credit card. I paied for everything

Quoting Anonymous:

Bullshit. A freakin little ss check wouldn't have helped. She's obviously not covering the cost, she just thought she could have it. He passed a month ago he's already been buried and everything. Your Debts may fall on your spouse when you die but they don't fall on your kids.

Quoting katy_kay08:

there are expenses that come when someone passes and the next of kin may not be in a position to absorb those costs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Gotta love when people die and all their lousy family can think of is money.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I would call them and ask. They pay one month behind so a check received in january would be for december. At least that is how the ss office explained to me when I called to insure they had received notice of his passing.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.  Please get first hand information directly from the social security office.  When my father passed away many people told me we would have to pay back the money he received prior to his death because he didn't live to the end of the month.  He had already paid that month's bills.  The Social Security person was very helpful.  

Quoting Anonymous:

What if it was issued the day he died

Quoting katy_kay08:

I'm sorry for your loss.  My father passed away last year and I had to handle the SS payments.  

The funeral home should notify SS for you.  Any money paid to him prior to his death does not have to be returned by money received after his passing must be repaid.  

Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Absolutely.  It's fraud.  Your father is deceased; the money needs to be returned to the government.  It's not his, because he is not alive to receive it.

Quoting Anonymous:

NO  - ABSOLUTELY NOT!  You can, and will be charged, with a crime.  Happened to my mother.

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Don't shred it. Send it back

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay. I didn't know it was fraud. Guess I will shred it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured