Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should you babysit for free? - eta

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 64 Replies
One of my friends is a single mom and going to college. She recently found out she was pregnant again and her bf broke up wih her and wants nothing to do wih the baby. Her mom has been watching her 2.5 yr old while she goes to class but her mom got a new bf and does not want to babysit anymore.

I posted on her Facebook that I don't mind babysitting her son, I'm home anyway. She called and said she can't pay me cause she has no $. I told her I was not wanting her to and I don't mind it. She said she would think about it. If she can't get a sitter she will have to drop out.

I honestly don't mind watching him. When I went to school I found someone who was broke too and we did a babysitting exchange. You watch mine ill watch yours, kwim?

What do you ladies think? Would you watch a friends kid for free?

It's prob 10hrs a week total for 3 classes.

Eta- I am honestly surprised by how many ppl would help out.. It makes me happy. She texted and said we can talk about it. I think she feels bad cause it would be free but honestly its 2 mornings for a total of like 10 hrs a week and I'd be home with my kids anyway. It's no burden on me and a huge lift for her.

I hope she takes it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sadiebug1228
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes if I had the time I would. I understand being broke and not being able to afford sitters
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Depends on the kid.  I have friends with great kids, that I would watch anytime for free.  Then I have friends whose kids are little monsters, and there is no way I would watch them without compensation.

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM
He has ASD (autism spectrum disorder) like my daughter. He is more mellow then mine though.

He is pretty easy compared to my kids. Keeps to himself and I have a huge play room so he would have space to be alone.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Depends on the kid.  I have friends with great kids, that I would watch anytime for free.  Then I have friends whose kids are little monsters, and there is no way I would watch them without compensation.

TAG_ur_it
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

if her kid is well behaved, i'd probably help her out. it also depends on how good a friend she is. 

CookieMom108
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Yeah I probably would in that situation.

HunternChase
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Yep!!!
PeaceMuch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yes of course I would help a friend out! As long as they weren't taking advantage of me!

robyann
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would and I have. Also with a single working mom with one child, she was a friend's dd. I watched her child 40 hours a week for $60. I felt she should take the responsibility of child care but on a scale that wouldn't put her under. I do watch my grandkids for free, even if it's full time. I have one now that I watch full time. To me, friendship and helping others, is more important than money.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I'm all for helping those who want to help themselves! Yes, I would
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

For a really good friend, but I don't have many of those.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured