Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would love advice! Getting a puppy Saturday.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
We are getting our first puppy on Saturday! He is coming up from a shelter in the south. He was dumped at a high kill shelter with his brother and sister and rescued by an east coast rescue. He is 9 weeks old and my husband is naming him Archer (NOT my choice but hubby is stuck on it....ugh). He is a golden lab/german shepard mix (they believe). I would love any helpful advice! (I have always grown up with dogs so I am not completely in the dark. I do know how much work they are and that puppies do "puppy" things but it is our first dog as a family. My kids are 8 and 4.

Helpful advice only please! I am not quite sure how to go about house training and teaching the dog not to chew etc......

Added a pic on page 2
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM

crate training will be your best friend.  start on night #1.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM
We got the crate already. First thing we got haha!

Quoting ff-princess:

crate training will be your best friend.  start on night #1.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Agreed with the first poster. Crate train the dog. Also, take him out very frequently. It will be annyoing at times but it id important for him to get used to going out on a leash, getting used to knowing he potties outside and he will get los of exercise and practice by going on frequent walks. When I say frequently I mean every 30-60 minutes until he gets the hang of pottying outside.

BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Puppies are work.....lots of work. Get a crate. We found out much easier a crate is with our latest puppy. Get chew toys and when you puppy starts to try to chew on a shoe or furniture, give him the toy. We also have rawhide chews. Our shepherd is a high energy dog. When our child was smaller, we didn't leave her alone with the dog. I supposes with a puppy it will be fine. Teach your kids to be kind to the dog and not provoke it to bite. That's all I got.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

get a crate and keep the puppy in it if you are not watching it.   When it comes out of the crate take it outside immediatly offer a treat when he goes potty outside and let him play in the house when you go back in.  If you are watching the puppy pick him up and take him out side when he starts to potty or shows signs of looking for a spot to go. ignore bad behavior and reward good behavior.    There other ways to train a dog but thats the method I used for mine.    Look up dog training and there will be other ideas there are also videos on youtube.

mom_dl6
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Always take him out for bathroom breaks shortly after eating and first thing in the Morning, get him on a good routine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Thanks!! My kids def won't be alone with him for quite awhile but they are very good with dogs. This dog will be their first but my mom has 3 dogs (one is a newer puppy), my inlaws have 2 dogs and my sisters each have a dog. All are different sizes and breeds. So luckily they are very familiar with them!!

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

Puppies are work.....lots of work. Get a crate. We found out much easier a crate is with our latest puppy. Get chew toys and when you puppy starts to try to chew on a shoe or furniture, give him the toy. We also have rawhide chews. Our shepherd is a high energy dog. When our child was smaller, we didn't leave her alone with the dog. I supposes with a puppy it will be fine. Teach your kids to be kind to the dog and not provoke it to bite. That's all I got.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeregrineWaltz
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Get a crate, find info on positive crate training.  Get used to a schedule - our puppy needs to go out 5-10 minutes after eating and every 2hrs otherwise at LEAST.  You need to find out what your puppy's signals are. Get a good cleaning spray that can cut dog pee.  Every time you clean up a mistake take the towel outside and let the puppy sniff it outside before placing the towels in an OUTSIDE garbage. 

Any other things?  

Oh for chewing keep lots of soft toys for the puppy, keep a few in his crate and a few around the house, if you see puppy chewing something he shouldn't "trade" him for a good toy.

fairyjester
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM

puppy classes,

find somewhere that has puppy classes

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

let it roam the house

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)