Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would love advice! Getting a puppy Saturday.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are getting our first puppy on Saturday! He is coming up from a shelter in the south. He was dumped at a high kill shelter with his brother and sister and rescued by an east coast rescue. He is 9 weeks old and my husband is naming him Archer (NOT my choice but hubby is stuck on it....ugh). He is a golden lab/german shepard mix (they believe). I would love any helpful advice! (I have always grown up with dogs so I am not completely in the dark. I do know how much work they are and that puppies do "puppy" things but it is our first dog as a family. My kids are 8 and 4.

Helpful advice only please! I am not quite sure how to go about house training and teaching the dog not to chew etc......

Added a pic on page 2
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Have your new pup go everywhere with you. Introduce it to everyone and anyone That way it will be well socialized. Congrats on your new puppy! Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

The vet will tell you to keep the dog inside for a few months. Ignore that. Take the dog out into your yard every couple of hours and after every meal. Don't take them out into the public yet but your yard is fine. Most will skip on the every couple of hours thing but trust me, its worth it. Praise him when he does his business outside. If he doesn't pee/poo within 15-20mins of being outside then bring him inside and cuddle with him for 15-20minutes then take him back outside. Don't let him just wander around the house after you bring him in because he WILL pee. Keep your hands on him. Once you think he can't hold it anymore then take him outside. He will be so relieved to relieve himself out there. Don't forget to praise him when he does. You might even want to add a command such as "go pee".

Crate the dog at night and when you can not be there to supervise.  Start training as soon as you get home. During feedings, make the dog sit before giving him the bowl.  

This is a cool way that we teach pups their names along with the "come" command: Have everyone in your house sit in a circle and put the pup in the middle. Get a toy and have one of you hold the toy. The person with the toy will call the dog and when the dog comes to them then the dog will get the toy and a few "good boys". They will then take the toy from the dog and toss it to someone else. They have to be careful to hold the dog so he doesn't run after it.  The next person will call the dog and the game will go on like that.

Another way is to use a clicker and click and treat every time the dog responds to its name. Or even calling him and running away. Every dog is different and you have to try a lot of things before you find what is good for your pooch

DO NOT scorn him when he makes a mistake. He is too young to understand. If you walk downstairs to a puddle of pee, ignore it and throughly clean the spot. If he chews on you, don't hit him in the nose. Just get up and ignore him.  

Good Luck with your new Pup.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Best way to housetrain is to get a kennel, the puppy will sleep in the kennel at night and be in the kennel when you aren't home to watch him. Most puppies learn to love their kennel, just never use it for punishment or leave him in there longer than a few hours (except while you sleep, but he may way you to go outside early early) Otherwise have the puppy in your sight at all times, may even want to have a leash on him at first. Take him out every hour or so at first, praise him when he goes outside, if he has an accident and you catch him doing it then say NO lound and take him outside and pet him when he finishes. If you don't catch him in the act then just clean it up good (use like vinager or something is made for pet stains), don't punish him if you don't catch him.

He WILL chew a lot, so lots of toys, some chewy bones, etc. He will really be teething around 4 months old when he starts to loose puppy teeth and get adult teeth, this is a tough time but it does end lol. If he chews on other things and you catch him say NO real loud and take it away then give him his toy and pet him as he chews that. Never hit a puppy. If he starts playing rough like biting hands and such I suggest flicking his mouth and saying NO, don't let him every use your hands or anything but his toys to play with.

Start training early, especially because he will be big! Very early a puppy can learn sit, lie down, etc. but make sure everyone uses the same words and the same punishments. Never let him jump on you even when he's little, when he jumps turn and walk away, ignoring is better than pushing him off becaus dogs will enjoy even negative attention and may turn pushing into thinking you are playing. Teach the kids early to play nice (I"m sure you will ).

One good thing to also train early is having him sit when someone comes in the door and wait til he is told "ok" to get up or he may  get used to bounching all over for greeting, which can be a problem when he is huge. When you train of course do not move on from one command to the next, like train Sit and nothing else til he gets that one down good or he may get overwhelmed.

Give him a good puppy food for large breed dogs, meat as first ingrediant, no fillers like corn or by-products, no dyes or bad preservatives (look for mixed tocopherels), I can help you find a good quality puppy food if you like, the better the food the healthier the puppy will be and he will in the long run eat and poo less. In the long run a good food also saves on medical bills.

Lots of excersie playing, not so much long walks when he is a pup as it can ruin joints, just play a lot, play fetch and do training to stimulate his brain. Teach fun tricks after he learns the basic commands and is older. Lots of cuddling, but if you don't want him to be on your lap as a big dog or on the couch or bed then don't let him do that now. I honestly have no problem with dogs on furniture but some do and it should be taught early.

Feed him on a schedule, like 2-3 times a day, the recommended amount on the bag for his size. Don't leave extra food sitting around or he will just eat and eat. For water while you are housetraining only offer it with meals and some throughout the day but don't leave it down all the time or he will pee a lot. It is much easier to housebreak this way. When he is older and housebroken and can hold his bladder you can leave it down all the time if you want.

Make sure he gets his puppy shots, then start socializing a lot. Let him meet a lot of dogs and play as it is good for a growing puppy mentally and physically. Let him meet a lot of people so he isn't afraid of anyone, people of all ages, genders, races etc. Honestly some dogs have been known to not like people of some race or gender either because they never met them or because they were actually abused by them. A well socialized dog is a happy dog because they are comfortable in every situation.

Make sure he always have enough exercise so he is content to lay down when he gets older, when he is an adult long walks, runs at the park and playing as well as training can make for a very happy dog. A tired dog is also a very happy dog because they don't have built up energy they can't expel.

So you know, a lab is a high energy breed who loves to fetch since they were of course bred to retrieve, they are usually smart dogs, but a pain in the butt when not exercised. German shepherds are also high energy but I'd say not as much as labs, they really need to be socialized because they are strong protectors and I have known a lot to get aggressive if not properly socialized (any breed can be that way but German shepherds an a few others seem to have more of the tendincy). They were bred for protection and herding. They are also a very smart breed.

I think that covers everything lol. Hope this was all helpful. I am an encyclopedia about dogs and many animals so ask if you want to know anything else :)

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Crate train.  Take him out every hour to potty.  Praise with treats when he goes, if he does not go, he goes back in the crate until next time to go out.  If he pottys on the floor, he goes in the crate.  Teach him to scratch at the back door before you go outside by taking his paw and making him do it, then open the door. Start sticking your hands in his food while he is eating, take his food away and then give it back, this will help avoid any food aggression.  If you catch him chewing on something, take it away, discipline him, and give him his approved chew toy instead.  You have to train your kids too.  They have to learn not to get in the dogs face, not to mess with him when he is sleeping or eating to avoid accidental biting.    

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh forgot to say as well, Congrats and enjoy him! Puppies are lots of work but so worth it! And post pics if you can :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Amazing. I am definitely going to friend you! Thanks for all the great advice! Would love any more....including best food and also best cleaner (we have real hardwood everywhere except the kitchen is tile. No carpet except in DS's room and area rugs in our living and family rooms)

And I will post a picture under this reply!

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Best way to housetrain is to get a kennel, the puppy will sleep in the kennel at night and be in the kennel when you aren't home to watch him. Most puppies learn to love their kennel, just never use it for punishment or leave him in there longer than a few hours (except while you sleep, but he may way you to go outside early early) Otherwise have the puppy in your sight at all times, may even want to have a leash on him at first. Take him out every hour or so at first, praise him when he goes outside, if he has an accident and you catch him doing it then say NO lound and take him outside and pet him when he finishes. If you don't catch him in the act then just clean it up good (use like vinager or something is made for pet stains), don't punish him if you don't catch him.

He WILL chew a lot, so lots of toys, some chewy bones, etc. He will really be teething around 4 months old when he starts to loose puppy teeth and get adult teeth, this is a tough time but it does end lol. If he chews on other things and you catch him say NO real loud and take it away then give him his toy and pet him as he chews that. Never hit a puppy. If he starts playing rough like biting hands and such I suggest flicking his mouth and saying NO, don't let him every use your hands or anything but his toys to play with.

Start training early, especially because he will be big! Very early a puppy can learn sit, lie down, etc. but make sure everyone uses the same words and the same punishments. Never let him jump on you even when he's little, when he jumps turn and walk away, ignoring is better than pushing him off becaus dogs will enjoy even negative attention and may turn pushing into thinking you are playing. Teach the kids early to play nice (I"m sure you will ).

One good thing to also train early is having him sit when someone comes in the door and wait til he is told "ok" to get up or he may  get used to bounching all over for greeting, which can be a problem when he is huge. When you train of course do not move on from one command to the next, like train Sit and nothing else til he gets that one down good or he may get overwhelmed.

Give him a good puppy food for large breed dogs, meat as first ingrediant, no fillers like corn or by-products, no dyes or bad preservatives (look for mixed tocopherels), I can help you find a good quality puppy food if you like, the better the food the healthier the puppy will be and he will in the long run eat and poo less. In the long run a good food also saves on medical bills.

Lots of excersie playing, not so much long walks when he is a pup as it can ruin joints, just play a lot, play fetch and do training to stimulate his brain. Teach fun tricks after he learns the basic commands and is older. Lots of cuddling, but if you don't want him to be on your lap as a big dog or on the couch or bed then don't let him do that now. I honestly have no problem with dogs on furniture but some do and it should be taught early.

Feed him on a schedule, like 2-3 times a day, the recommended amount on the bag for his size. Don't leave extra food sitting around or he will just eat and eat. For water while you are housetraining only offer it with meals and some throughout the day but don't leave it down all the time or he will pee a lot. It is much easier to housebreak this way. When he is older and housebroken and can hold his bladder you can leave it down all the time if you want.

Make sure he gets his puppy shots, then start socializing a lot. Let him meet a lot of dogs and play as it is good for a growing puppy mentally and physically. Let him meet a lot of people so he isn't afraid of anyone, people of all ages, genders, races etc. Honestly some dogs have been known to not like people of some race or gender either because they never met them or because they were actually abused by them. A well socialized dog is a happy dog because they are comfortable in every situation.

Make sure he always have enough exercise so he is content to lay down when he gets older, when he is an adult long walks, runs at the park and playing as well as training can make for a very happy dog. A tired dog is also a very happy dog because they don't have built up energy they can't expel.

So you know, a lab is a high energy breed who loves to fetch since they were of course bred to retrieve, they are usually smart dogs, but a pain in the butt when not exercised. German shepherds are also high energy but I'd say not as much as labs, they really need to be socialized because they are strong protectors and I have known a lot to get aggressive if not properly socialized (any breed can be that way but German shepherds an a few others seem to have more of the tendincy). They were bred for protection and herding. They are also a very smart breed.

I think that covers everything lol. Hope this was all helpful. I am an encyclopedia about dogs and many animals so ask if you want to know anything else :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

This is "Archer"
stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

OMG he is sooo cute! By the way I do kind of like the name :) Animals have always been my passion. I always had a lot of pets as a kid (got up to 13 when I was in high school) and I grew up with dogs. I also went to college for vet tech and after deciding I didnt want to do the medical side I actually became a pet groomer :)

Foods I can recommend will depend on your area and if they are available. The first one I recommend that isn't too pricey but good would be Diamond Naturals large breed puppy food. Now there company at one time had recalls but it was on their crappy food version not the Naturals because they don't contain corn. This food is usually available at stores like Tractor Supply, Orschlens, possibly even Menards, but those type stores. It also depends on how much you can afford because this is a good food, one on the not crazy expensive end of the scale, but there are also some that are better like Blue Buffalo etc. http://www.diamondpet.com/ is their website that shows ingrediants and locations of suppliers :)

Cleaners, well good old vinager diluted with water a bit can work well, to tell you the truth I've never used a lot of pet cleaners but another one that seemed to work for smell and stains really well was Resolve Pet stain remover. I used it for other type stains too. Granted these are on carpets.

For hardwood floors I'd say something with the lemon scent would be best, you want to of course be careful about using cleaners that aren't for hardwood floors. I've never tried vinager and water on hardwood but you could try it on a small spot to see what it does. You basically need something that can remove the scent from it completely because dogs can still smell it over some cleaners. Some also smell bad and almost the same as pee in my opinon. You can never go wrong with an enzymatic cleaner though as it will remove everything on carpets that is. :)

I bet that puppy is going to be very fun! And I look forward to updates, definatly will befriend you. It's hard to say for sure if he is those breeds they think, I can kind of see them, but then he may end up with medium length hair so its possible he has something different, but as puppies it can be hard to tell. I can give you more breed ideas as he gets older though! :)

ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Crate train, and remember from day 1 he will be big, I would advise treating him as if he already is, not allowing him on laps ect
ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
And find a puppy training class nearby and take him as soon as possible and religiously
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)