Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would love advice! Getting a puppy Saturday.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We are getting our first puppy on Saturday! He is coming up from a shelter in the south. He was dumped at a high kill shelter with his brother and sister and rescued by an east coast rescue. He is 9 weeks old and my husband is naming him Archer (NOT my choice but hubby is stuck on it....ugh). He is a golden lab/german shepard mix (they believe). I would love any helpful advice! (I have always grown up with dogs so I am not completely in the dark. I do know how much work they are and that puppies do "puppy" things but it is our first dog as a family. My kids are 8 and 4.

Helpful advice only please! I am not quite sure how to go about house training and teaching the dog not to chew etc......

Added a pic on page 2
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
beethann
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labs stay puppies for their first 5 years!

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

My #1 tip would be to MEET the dog before agreeing to take him in. Make sure he is the dog for you.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Look at him like a toddler. A troublemaking, bored, distructive, hyper, crazy toddler.
Hahahaha
Really though. A crate is your best friend. Get him used to it right away. No matter how much he howls and bawls.
Obviously he needs to be housebroken. Take him out every hour or two and five minutes after he eats or drinks. (Otherwise he's in his crate)
Keep him busy. All. The. Time.
A TIRED DOG IS A GOOD DOG!
(Doggy daycare is a lifesaver if you can afford it)
Get a kong. Stuff it. Freeze it.
Toss his breakfast in the lawn and let him search it out. By the time he's done he will be pooped.

Non physical reinforcement training.
(Positive reinforcement)
Petsmart is okay. Follow through. Consistency is key

We only get that "perfect" dog once in our lives. Don't expect him to be your perfect family pet like the one you may have grown up with. It takes time and patience. But it pays off.

Socialization and desensitization are key to a happy healthy well adjusted dog. :).

GOOD LUCK!
If you need any more tips pm me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigdog3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I agree with every bit of advice this poster has offered! I am coming from a very "doggie" background; I started agility when I was 13, my sister competes in dog sports on a national level, have personally trained in obedience pretty extensively and have ten years of experience working in an animal shelter and vet hospitals. I would like to add a couple of things (but not too many... Stargazerwolf really made some great posts).

Socializing is super important; find people with friendly, older, fully vaccinated dogs to have your puppy play with. Your vet may be super worried about him interacting with other dogs before he completes his series (usually at about 16 weeks or so) but if you wait that long, you are completely missing a valuable window of socialization opportunities that once closed will never open again.

NEVER let him jump on you! Never, never, never! So many people allow that little puppy to jump up, but then end up with a large dirty dog that doesn't know to stop. Kids are notorious for allowing this; you will have to train them as well as your puppy. The same advice applies to mouthing. He should never put his teeth on you. He will likely want to play mouth you, but you will regret it if you let him. Many puppies will mouth children, especially if they are running around and get the puppy excited. Easiest way to curb that? A little Bitter Apple on your hand. If he puts his mouth on your hand after you spray that on there, it will taste HORRIBLE and he won't do it again!

In terms of veterinary care, you will have a lot of choices to make. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here is my recommendation: never skip the heartworm prevention. Even if it is not common in your area, it only takes one heartworm positive dog to be bitten by a mosquito and pass it on to yours. It is so cheap to prevent, and so expensive to treat.

I grew up with dogs, but as an adult, I have only raised two puppies. They are a lot of work! I am lucky enough to get my puppy fix at work, and most of the dogs I have owned I have adopted as adults. Remember that this baby will outgrow those annoying stages, and repay you for rescuing him with all the love in his little heart. 

Quoting stargazerwolf:

OMG he is sooo cute! By the way I do kind of like the name :) Animals have always been my passion. I always had a lot of pets as a kid (got up to 13 when I was in high school) and I grew up with dogs. I also went to college for vet tech and after deciding I didnt want to do the medical side I actually became a pet groomer :)

Foods I can recommend will depend on your area and if they are available. The first one I recommend that isn't too pricey but good would be Diamond Naturals large breed puppy food. Now there company at one time had recalls but it was on their crappy food version not the Naturals because they don't contain corn. This food is usually available at stores like Tractor Supply, Orschlens, possibly even Menards, but those type stores. It also depends on how much you can afford because this is a good food, one on the not crazy expensive end of the scale, but there are also some that are better like Blue Buffalo etc. http://www.diamondpet.com/ is their website that shows ingrediants and locations of suppliers :)

Cleaners, well good old vinager diluted with water a bit can work well, to tell you the truth I've never used a lot of pet cleaners but another one that seemed to work for smell and stains really well was Resolve Pet stain remover. I used it for other type stains too. Granted these are on carpets.

For hardwood floors I'd say something with the lemon scent would be best, you want to of course be careful about using cleaners that aren't for hardwood floors. I've never tried vinager and water on hardwood but you could try it on a small spot to see what it does. You basically need something that can remove the scent from it completely because dogs can still smell it over some cleaners. Some also smell bad and almost the same as pee in my opinon. You can never go wrong with an enzymatic cleaner though as it will remove everything on carpets that is. :)

I bet that puppy is going to be very fun! And I look forward to updates, definatly will befriend you. It's hard to say for sure if he is those breeds they think, I can kind of see them, but then he may end up with medium length hair so its possible he has something different, but as puppies it can be hard to tell. I can give you more breed ideas as he gets older though! :)

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Thank you!! Actually I did mention the socializing and not allowing jumping in my first post and not allowing the pup to play with body parts :-D but yes definatly go for the heartworm prevention. Oh and get him neutered around 6 months to prevent naughty boy dog habits like marking and humping, you can wait up to a year, but many boy dogs start bad habits before that. It also lowers aggression and the "need" to roam for females. :)

Thanks again for the great compliments Bigdog3 :) Nice to hear :D

Quoting Bigdog3:

I agree with every bit of advice this poster has offered! I am coming from a very "doggie" background; I started agility when I was 13, my sister competes in dog sports on a national level, have personally trained in obedience pretty extensively and have ten years of experience working in an animal shelter and vet hospitals. I would like to add a couple of things (but not too many... Stargazerwolf really made some great posts).

Socializing is super important; find people with friendly, older, fully vaccinated dogs to have your puppy play with. Your vet may be super worried about him interacting with other dogs before he completes his series (usually at about 16 weeks or so) but if you wait that long, you are completely missing a valuable window of socialization opportunities that once closed will never open again.

NEVER let him jump on you! Never, never, never! So many people allow that little puppy to jump up, but then end up with a large dirty dog that doesn't know to stop. Kids are notorious for allowing this; you will have to train them as well as your puppy. The same advice applies to mouthing. He should never put his teeth on you. He will likely want to play mouth you, but you will regret it if you let him. Many puppies will mouth children, especially if they are running around and get the puppy excited. Easiest way to curb that? A little Bitter Apple on your hand. If he puts his mouth on your hand after you spray that on there, it will taste HORRIBLE and he won't do it again!

In terms of veterinary care, you will have a lot of choices to make. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here is my recommendation: never skip the heartworm prevention. Even if it is not common in your area, it only takes one heartworm positive dog to be bitten by a mosquito and pass it on to yours. It is so cheap to prevent, and so expensive to treat.

I grew up with dogs, but as an adult, I have only raised two puppies. They are a lot of work! I am lucky enough to get my puppy fix at work, and most of the dogs I have owned I have adopted as adults. Remember that this baby will outgrow those annoying stages, and repay you for rescuing him with all the love in his little heart. 

Quoting stargazerwolf:

OMG he is sooo cute! By the way I do kind of like the name :) Animals have always been my passion. I always had a lot of pets as a kid (got up to 13 when I was in high school) and I grew up with dogs. I also went to college for vet tech and after deciding I didnt want to do the medical side I actually became a pet groomer :)

Foods I can recommend will depend on your area and if they are available. The first one I recommend that isn't too pricey but good would be Diamond Naturals large breed puppy food. Now there company at one time had recalls but it was on their crappy food version not the Naturals because they don't contain corn. This food is usually available at stores like Tractor Supply, Orschlens, possibly even Menards, but those type stores. It also depends on how much you can afford because this is a good food, one on the not crazy expensive end of the scale, but there are also some that are better like Blue Buffalo etc. http://www.diamondpet.com/ is their website that shows ingrediants and locations of suppliers :)

Cleaners, well good old vinager diluted with water a bit can work well, to tell you the truth I've never used a lot of pet cleaners but another one that seemed to work for smell and stains really well was Resolve Pet stain remover. I used it for other type stains too. Granted these are on carpets.

For hardwood floors I'd say something with the lemon scent would be best, you want to of course be careful about using cleaners that aren't for hardwood floors. I've never tried vinager and water on hardwood but you could try it on a small spot to see what it does. You basically need something that can remove the scent from it completely because dogs can still smell it over some cleaners. Some also smell bad and almost the same as pee in my opinon. You can never go wrong with an enzymatic cleaner though as it will remove everything on carpets that is. :)

I bet that puppy is going to be very fun! And I look forward to updates, definatly will befriend you. It's hard to say for sure if he is those breeds they think, I can kind of see them, but then he may end up with medium length hair so its possible he has something different, but as puppies it can be hard to tell. I can give you more breed ideas as he gets older though! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Actually he was already neutered. I was really shocked but i talked to a vet about it and while they would not do it to a dog that young they assured me that it would not cause him harm.

Ya I'm not sure what is exactly in him. I guess they knew the mom was for sure a yellow lab (or at least mostly) His brother and sister are both short haired and look more like labs but DH fell in love with this one. His shelter name is Fuzzy haha!

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Thank you!! Actually I did mention the socializing and not allowing jumping in my first post and not allowing the pup to play with body parts :-D but yes definatly go for the heartworm prevention. Oh and get him neutered around 6 months to prevent naughty boy dog habits like marking and humping, you can wait up to a year, but many boy dogs start bad habits before that. It also lowers aggression and the "need" to roam for females. :)

Quoting Bigdog3:

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Oh yes we are. He is being "held" for us but we can decide for sure when we meet him.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

My #1 tip would be to MEET the dog before agreeing to take him in. Make sure he is the dog for you.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Quoting thetrollcat:

let it roam the house

This! Only crate him when it is bed time or you will be out or when your house is busy (like a party)! Crating him more than that will cause him to no understand simply household manners like not running back and forth between the rooms and such.

We only crate our pit bull when there's going to be more than just the household here just because he has some blood pressure problems and if he gets to ampy his blood pressure skyrockets. We are desperately trying to avoid medication.

momalee40
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I agree w all the posts, but want to add that please remember that unless you catch the pup in the act sticking his nose in it etc does no good. Also, socialize him after he has had some vaccines.
stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Oh wow. I have heard of shelters doing that so they know it is for sure done before adopting the dog out. I wouldn't recommend it, but at least you don't have to worry about it :). That's really cute, Fuzzy lol, I tend to like the mixes, its always fun to guess what all is in them and I see why he fell in love with him :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually he was already neutered. I was really shocked but i talked to a vet about it and while they would not do it to a dog that young they assured me that it would not cause him harm.

Ya I'm not sure what is exactly in him. I guess they knew the mom was for sure a yellow lab (or at least mostly) His brother and sister are both short haired and look more like labs but DH fell in love with this one. His shelter name is Fuzzy haha!

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Quoting Bigdog3:

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured