Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just want to cry.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 22 Replies

I know most of this is from my hormones but I'm seriously stressing. I just applied for food stamps becuase I lost the babysitting job that I had that was our source of extra income and how I put food on the table. Well I just got the call back saying that I dont qualify becuase I am not working right now a minimum of 20 hours a week while going to school even though I'm 29 weeks pregnant. Since it was a babysitting job they dont even count that as employment recently. So now I have to go find another job which this close to giving birth no one will want to hire me or I have to get a form to have my doctor fill out and return to them. The form states that due to complications I can't work. Which even though I am high risk due to the diabetes she says everything is great and to keep working. So even though now we are on hard times because I lost my job and they cut dh hours back we don't qualify. I just want to cry and now have to figure out how we are going to make it. Our grocery bill was 200-250 a month for the two of us and thats with eating occassional junk and shopping sales. That is now going to have to go down to 150-160 a month for the two of us. Ugh this means nothing fresh and my nothing good for my diabetes. So I lose either way. Groceries are expensive on the side of town we stay on. I prefer to shop in bulk and thats why my grocery bill is 250 sometimes. Ugh

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I don't understand why you don't qualify if you don't have an income? Lots of people have no income and qualify. 

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand why you don't qualify if you don't have an income? Lots of people have no income and qualify. 

I don't either. All she said that was since I am a college student (full time) that even though I'm pregnant I still need to be working 20 hours a week minimum. I just lost my  job last month too and now we're out of savings due to shit breaking down like our car. Now this. I just wanna scream and cry.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Who is "she"? They don't know unless you fill out an application and it is processed. It has to be processed first. People get food stamps when they lose their jobs regardless of why. Fill out the application. 

Quoting poeticrose09:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't either. All she said that was since I am a college student (full time) that even though I'm pregnant I still need to be working 20 hours a week minimum. I just lost my  job last month too and now we're out of savings due to shit breaking down like our car. Now this. I just wanna scream and cry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

simple the unborn child doesnt count yet.

Quoting Anonymous:

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I thought if you were pregnant they let you stay home for so long ? 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Food stamps are strictly income based, other programs like cash assistance are tied to employment or job searching
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM

You can get food stamps for just yourself if you qualify. You will only know by filling out the application. You seem to be making excuses. Talking to someone over the phone will not get you the help you need. Go apply. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm im not the op

Quoting Anonymous:

You can get food stamps for just yourself if you qualify. You will only know by filling out the application. You seem to be making excuses. Talking to someone over the phone will not get you the help you need. Go apply. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

lalaboosh
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM

That sucks. My husband is a student and here in WA it counts for him working. I hope things look up for you. Do you have a CSA program in your area? That can help with your fresh foods.

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Buying bulk isn't always cheaper. Have you talked to your school?? They usually have work-study programs or a department that helps students find employment or internships. Definitely see if they have a women's center!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)