Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18month in Hospital strangled on blind cords..edit to update.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

I saw on the news today.  Crib against wall near horizontal blinds cord unsecured.  Baby found blue and not breathing, neighbour knew CPR. rushed to sick kids.  Prognosis not good.  

News was calling it a "terrible accident"

I do NOT see this as a "terrible accident".  I see this as terrible negligence.  I try not to be a sanctimommy, but for real?  This is awful and this falls FULLY on the parents shoulders.  

wdyt?

The child lived, thank goodness, and is being assessed for permanant damage, I truly hope there is none, but it seems unlikely.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I feel it too is a terrible accident, sure it was stupid to put the crib right against the blinds, but it wasn't intentional, and unless you have been in this same situation then in reality you really can't tell us how you would feel, what you would do or how we all should feel.

428pm
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I feel terrible for the parents.  Im sure they are going through hell.  But they created a dangerous situation they they ought to have known better.  That is neglect.  

This is basic safety. 

I sincerely hope their baby makes it, althugh it will likely have brain damage.  They don't deserve their baby being harmed, but it is still their neglect.  An accident is an inforseeable event, and that is not what happened here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel it too is a terrible accident, sure it was stupid to put the crib right against the blinds, but it wasn't intentional, and unless you have been in this same situation then in reality you really can't tell us how you would feel, what you would do or how we all should feel.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Unforseeable event is right, you are right there. However for some people unfortunately they don't have a choice in which a bed can be placed..........right now where we live our bedroom is too small, the only place we can put our bed is right by the window, which does create a safty hazard, However in my case as well I do watch my kids in my room.......so for this family perhaps they had no where else to put the bed? We won't know. So yes you are right, it was a stupid place to put the crib, they did put their child in harms way, and no that baby didn't/doesn't deserve this, and neither do the parents.......I hope in this case these parents learn and make it a habit not to let it happen ever again.

Quoting 428pm:

I feel terrible for the parents.  Im sure they are going through hell.  But they created a dangerous situation they they ought to have known better.  That is neglect.  

This is basic safety. 

I sincerely hope their baby makes it, althugh it will likely have brain damage.  They don't deserve their baby being harmed, but it is still their neglect.  An accident is an inforseeable event, and that is not what happened here.

Quoting Anonymous:

428pm
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

if they couldnt put the crib anywhere else why not get rid of the blinds and/or cord?

Quoting Anonymous:

Unforseeable event is right, you are right there. However for some people unfortunately they don't have a choice in which a bed can be placed..........right now where we live our bedroom is too small, the only place we can put our bed is right by the window, which does create a safty hazard, However in my case as well I do watch my kids in my room.......so for this family perhaps they had no where else to put the bed? We won't know. So yes you are right, it was a stupid place to put the crib, they did put their child in harms way, and no that baby didn't/doesn't deserve this, and neither do the parents.......I hope in this case these parents learn and make it a habit not to let it happen ever again.

Quoting 428pm:

This is basic safety. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I hope you dont co-sleep...

428pm
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

my sons a bit old for that.  But i have seen the stuff that can happen. Its sad :(

but it doesnt always turn out awful, theres debate on that I think.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

I hope you dont co-sleep...

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM
It may have been an obvious hazard to you but not to them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)