Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who pays $1000-$1200 for a dog!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

*Do you feel guilty for not adopting from a pound, or rescuing an unloved dog?*

My question is how many of you have bought a full blooded dog?  How many don't feel bad about not buying one from the pound or off Craigslist?

I know there are lots of little puppies and dogs that need and deserve happy homes, but here's where I have a slight problem.  I want this one type of breed, and I want it to start as a puppy.

My husband and I took our kid to the pound today to look at cats and dogs, and only one cat stuck out to me, but none of the dogs warmed my heart.  And I feel soo guilty about it, because I am going to spend more money on this dog than I ever have on myself!  This dog we want is a full blooded lab.  My family has raised labs since I was a baby, and my toddler loves my mom's dogs, and they love him back.  I want him to experience all the joys of growing up with 'man's best friend'!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
Louisianamom88
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I paid 450 for my bloodhound. There was not any of that breed at the pound. I looked.

My cat was rescued off the side of the road by my mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paparazzi5bling
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

lol i can do one better - a friend recently took a weekend trip with her husband to drive to indianapolis from va to pick up a kitten... a $1500 kitten!

funmommy123
i would pay that much for a maltese if I had extra money laying around lol. No, I wouldn't really feel bad for not adopting from the pound, because if they don't have the kind of dog that i'm looking for, then I don't want it.
Shabbydoll78

*Raises hand * I bought a pure bred Pug for my family. I'm not comfortable adopting an animal that may or may not have issues still from its previous home. I didn't want to pick out a dog, bring it home, have serious issues with it. Perhaps aggression, or food aggression, and then have to return the poor thing. Ive seen that happen far too many times.  I wanted our family dog as a puppy so we could raise him with the kids. Plus pugs notoriously have excellent temperaments. 

When the kids are grown, I will be much more likely to get a dog from a shelter. I may even consider fostering dogs one day. But not until my kids are grown.

momalee40
1 mom liked this
I have never heard of a full blood Lab costing that much ! Thats ridiculous ! There are also rescues for every breed and there are alot of very young pups turned over to them. But , seriously, just because you pay more for it doesnt mean its going to be a better experience for your kids.
arielsmomma1020
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Y the hell would u pay that much for a lab????? Labs are not that expensive
michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
My MIL did for her presa canarie mastiff
krazykiddles
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My dog cost the original owners that much!  I just bought the supplies from them that came with my dog.  He is the best looking Pomeranian if only people realized that he is a boy since he is that pretty! lol 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

We normally adopt/rescue/are given etc dogs BUT if I ever get an opportunity (and have the extra funds) to get an English Bulldog I will not care where it comes from, other than not a puppy mill. Rescue, adopted, given, reputable breeder...I am fine with all of those. I have wanted one since I was a kid.

Oh and if we get another Boston Terrier (we have one now) I will have the same policy. Our Boston was given to us by someone who could no longer care for him and we have developed a love for the breed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I prefer cats sorry
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN