Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who pays $1000-$1200 for a dog!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

*Do you feel guilty for not adopting from a pound, or rescuing an unloved dog?*

My question is how many of you have bought a full blooded dog?  How many don't feel bad about not buying one from the pound or off Craigslist?

I know there are lots of little puppies and dogs that need and deserve happy homes, but here's where I have a slight problem.  I want this one type of breed, and I want it to start as a puppy.

My husband and I took our kid to the pound today to look at cats and dogs, and only one cat stuck out to me, but none of the dogs warmed my heart.  And I feel soo guilty about it, because I am going to spend more money on this dog than I ever have on myself!  This dog we want is a full blooded lab.  My family has raised labs since I was a baby, and my toddler loves my mom's dogs, and they love him back.  I want him to experience all the joys of growing up with 'man's best friend'!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
Simple-Beauty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
My mom is really into Schutzhund (German dog sport) and has paid a looooooot more than that for her dogs (German Shaphards from Germany).

We don't own pets, but I'll never bring a dog with an unknown history around my children. If we ever get a dog, we'll pay for a purebred and raise it ourselves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

You can get purebred Labs for a lot better price than that.

Quoting Anonymous:

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

please tell me it was a leopard!!!

Quoting Paparazzi5bling:

lol i can do one better - a friend recently took a weekend trip with her husband to drive to indianapolis from va to pick up a kitten... a $1500 kitten!

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Personally I could never buy a pet from a breeder. All of my pets (except for the guinea pigs) have been rescues.

I waited nearly 10 years to find just the right sort of cat from a rescue. He was well worth the wait. Full breeds are available through rescues so don;t give up on that. It's just a matter of patience. Myself, I wanted a Russian Blue. My cat is not a full breed but he is very close to it. Very loving and friendly- although he has a nasty habit of chewing wires eye rolling

momalee40
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Until people stop paying these stupid amounts of money for puppies and kittens, we are going to keep seeing millions of unwanted animals put to sleep every year ! I have 4 dogs, all rescues and i can promise my kids ha e anjoyed them every bit as much as any 500 dollar one i could have bought !
cmabbott
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I can not feasibly see myself bringing a German Shepherd into my home without knowing it's background.  I'd go through a Rescue Organization before a breeder, but I would never adopt one out of a Shelter unless it's an 8-12 week old puppy.  I'd take the 10 year old throw away that their owners passed away, or they had medical conditions that couldn't be cared for by the owner, but ones that I can not obtain a history on wont work for my family.  I have 3 dogs and 3 kids to worry about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I bought two purebred PWD's and no, I don't feel bad. My daughter has horrendous pet allergies and we wanted to ensure our dog was a purebred to ensure shedding and dander wouldn't wreak havoc on her immune system.
eykelley
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I wouldn't feel guilty. We have gotten a pup from the pound 3 times. Twice the dog was very Ill and we had to take them back, and the last time we needed up having to give her away becu of. Her temperment. :( it's tough. But, dh wants a Bull Terrier. They run almost $2500. I won't spend that much. But $1000 isn't too bad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dawnjohnson5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I have spend more than that on an english bulldog. I spent $800 on a yorkie.

No, I did not feel guilty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Our English Mastiff cost somewhere in that range, my s/o was looking for a specific breed of dog and certain background. If we were ever to get a pound puppy it would have to be fresh put of the oven, older dogs can have unseen issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured