Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who pays $1000-$1200 for a dog!?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

*Do you feel guilty for not adopting from a pound, or rescuing an unloved dog?*

My question is how many of you have bought a full blooded dog?  How many don't feel bad about not buying one from the pound or off Craigslist?

I know there are lots of little puppies and dogs that need and deserve happy homes, but here's where I have a slight problem.  I want this one type of breed, and I want it to start as a puppy.

My husband and I took our kid to the pound today to look at cats and dogs, and only one cat stuck out to me, but none of the dogs warmed my heart.  And I feel soo guilty about it, because I am going to spend more money on this dog than I ever have on myself!  This dog we want is a full blooded lab.  My family has raised labs since I was a baby, and my toddler loves my mom's dogs, and they love him back.  I want him to experience all the joys of growing up with 'man's best friend'!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (681-684):
Kool_Aide
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I want a very specific breed so I paid for that.

TinaH0505
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
We have a shelter dog and a $1200. The shelter dog is so smart.. The other not so much
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beesbad
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I've done both, most recently we purchased an English Lab for over $1000 - best dog ever!

The English Lab is the preferred assistance dog because of its temperment and intelligence. My son has CP and this dog just knows to be gentle around him, she's about 10 months old.

Our rescue dog is a lab shepherd mix, she's very old now but as a puppy she was wild and not particularly trainable.

I have no guilt about purchasing a dog, we plan on breeding her once and donating some of her puppies to an assistance dog organization.

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I know there's hundreds of replies on here and someone has probably already said this, but to the people who spend a ton of money on dogs, please do your homework and make sure you're buying from a reputable breeder, not a backyard breeder and make sure you're not supporting puppy mills!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)