Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you think if your kid's teacher was an atheist?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 85 Replies

EDIT/REPLY: A student asked me what my religion was in class.  I would have never brought it up.  I told him that I was an atheist, i don't have a religion.  That's the only time I talked about it.  I think I should be able to share that, but I feel like it's a bigger deal than if I just said I was Greek Orthodox.

a while later, an adminitrator told me a cultural superstition.  I said that maybe that is one way of explaining it, but I think that science has a way of explaining it too.  then she asked how we can smell a flower, and i explained it scientifcally again.    I know she was a hard core catholic. 

It seems from your responses though, that people are pretty open.  Maybe it's just my mind trying to figure out the real reason I was let go.  I was untenured so they don't have to give you a reason.   The official reason was that I didn't fit in with the mission of the school.  I did everything I was asked and never got any criticism.  

ORIGINAL:

I'm a highschool teacher and an atheist.  I was open about it.  I got fired.  I never prosletyzed in the slightest.  I don't know that's why I was fired, but there are a couple of things that happened that make me feel that way.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Why were you sharing your religous, or lack thereof, beliefs with your students?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

As long as you don't try to push your beliefs onto my children I wouldn't care. If they ask you about it, fine. 

I'm sorry you think you were fired. 

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't even ask about a teacher's religion or beliefs. And even if I found out, I wouldn't care unless they were pushing it onto my kid.

momma2mms
by Kristin on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not nice to talk about religion and finances in mixed company. At least that is what my Daddy always says.

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I wouldn't think anything.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Were you teaching at a religious school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I wouldn't have thought twice about personal beliefs unless it was impacting the teaching of the class.
maria1613
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I wouldn't care.
emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I am atheist so I wouldnt mind lol. But seriously I dont care, just like I dont care that some of my Daughters teachers may be jewish, catholic, muslim, as long as they dont preach it in school I am fine with it!

BDolphins82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM
As long as a person/ teacher is not pushing their beliefs on mu daughter idk. That goes for
Any religon or lack of one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)