Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She has NOW lost all of my trust!!! edit in red

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 246 Replies
8 moms liked this

OK here is my problem. I found out tonight that my 13 year old daughter has  a facebook. We got her a tablet for Christmas and we told her when she got the tablet  that if she makes a facebook account she will lose the tablet.

About 2 months ago we had an issue with her making a twitter account on her cell phone and we had the discussion about it when it happen, lost any internet access on her cell phone when that happen. We had already bought the tablet for Christmas. She had started to earn our trust back so we decided to go ahead give her the tablet. When she received if for Christmas, we told her " we can find out what you do on that tablet, we can check the history. If we find out you have a facebook, twitter, myspace or any other social networking account you will loss the tablet".

So tonight we decided to check the kids tablet. (both of them have one our 9 year old has one too) and when we check the history, we find out she has been on facebook. she made the account yesterday. SO we called her in here, she said i don't have a facebook, i tell her she is lying we are on it right now on YOUR TABLET. she said well, my friend serria made it and just went into it to see if she really made it.  i look at her again  and say you are lying. she finally told us the trust about an hour of us looking at her facebook reading stuff that she wrote. (OMG she has a nasty mouth, i would smack the spit out of her mouth if i EVER her speak like that). to make the situation worse, she has her birthday August 1987 . I think that pisses me off more than anything because she has a lot of pics on her facebook and with her age being over 18, she don't have the privacy setting on it  and she didn't set up for it to be private so any perv could see her pic, go on her account find out where she lives and go to school and you know what can happen from there. I even told her this when i saw how old  she made herself.

Anyways. I have a facebook account and i need help with deleting hers, i have no clue how to delete it, i am stupid  when it comes to facebook. I only have family on my friend list.

Before anyone asks, why did we get both of our kids tablets, they have android tablets, we bought them so they could play games, like angry bird ect... that is all my son does on his is download games and play them and that is what she was suppose to be doing.  they were always asking  to play angry bird on my droid phone and i wanted my phone back.

I have had the same question asked over and over again so i am going to answer it now. Why can't  she have a facebook account? My husband and i have agreed to this. She started asking at age 10 for a facebook and i told her then NO. she is well aware of this. This is my personal opinion and i know that it isn't a popular one, i  do not agree with children/teenager having any type of social networking accounts. There are way to much cyber bullying and way to many perv out there in the world. Last year in 6th grade she asked me again for a facebook and i told her NO after hearing her out, this is why she told me she wanted a facebook " i think people are talking about me on facebook and i want to know what they are saying". In my opinion that is more reason not to have one because that is just going cause problem once again cyberbullying.

I personally don't care what other allow their children/ teenager to do but this is how we feel and our stance on this isn't going to change. I want to address something else that have heard in these replies. This going to cause more headache for me, honestly i knew what i was getting into when i choose to have kids, and having kids come with alot of headache. THis is going to make her rebel more or this isn't going change the fact that she is a problem child.  My daughter is a teenager, not so much a problem child, we have had some issues with her since we moved to the area we live in, she changed and i don't agree with most of her friends, so why would i give her more ways to stay in contact with children that i don't even want her being friends with. a few of her friends are cutters and that has  had a huge affect on her and because of this we are considering moving. We have our reasons for the way we feel and that isn 't going to change. problem #1, she did something that she is well aware wasn't allow, problem #2 while doing this, she made herself 25 years old, problem #3 she isn't responsibile enough to have a facebook for the fact that when you set up the account it clearly ask if you want to set you account on private and she didn't do that. problem #4 every single friend that is on her facebook  lied about their age and one her friends whom i have let stay at my house has a 30 year old man as a friend on her facebook and i am sure it ins't  her father being that this girl has never met her father.

I am actually really surpised at a lot of your reaction, most of you told me to go ahead and let her have a facebook, that is pretty much rewarding her for lying and that isn't something that i can do , even though it will cause "headache" for me.  if i start now backing down and changing my decision then when she is older i will lose all control over my child and i know what can happen when a parent has a child that they have no control over , i was that child and i was also a child who was allow to do whatever she wanted. I was pregnant at 17, dropped out of school at 16 (did go back and get my GED when i found out i was pregnant) was living with a man who was 5 years older than me when i was 16, didn't have clue what i have gotten myself into being that he was an abusive ass. I was smoking cig at 12, drinking at 13 and doing drug at 14 and having sex at 15.  I was like this because my mom decided since she couldn't control me, then they didn't care and i did what i wanted because she didn't want the "headache".  i will not allow my child to turn out like i did. I made a lot of bad decision because my mom didn't want the headache. i have since changed my life and decided to be the best parent i can be.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM
It should be under her "settings".

Make sure you delete it, not just deactivate it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

its under account settings i do believe

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM
So...why can't she have a fb?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this

you could always report the account and facebook will remove it for violating terms. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Why can't she have a FB? My 14 year old has one with the understanding I will have his password and I will see what he is doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM
9 moms liked this

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but i do not agree with anybody under the age of 18 having any type of social networking account. She has been aware of this since she was 10 when she first ask for a facebook. And the fact that she lied to us and the fact that she made herself 25 years old.

I personally don't care what other people allow their kids to do but this is how we feel.

Quoting Devious333:

beerebelly
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be a lot less of a headache if you let her have a fb and you check it from time to time.

LoveMyKBabies
3 moms liked this
Why not set up all of her privacy settings & let her have a FB? As long as she's responsible & you can check it, I don't see the problem. Plus, I don't know why she lied about her age so much, you only have to be 14 to have an account.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly

She's 13? Then you are going to be battling her computer use for the next 5 years. This isn't the end of her making a fb. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but i do not agree with anybody under the age of 18 having any type of social networking account. She has been aware of this since she was 10 when she first ask for a facebook. And the fact that she lied to us and the fact that she made herself 25 years old.

I personally don't care what other people allow their kids to do but this is how we feel.

Quoting Devious333:

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Ah, okay, good luck with all that lol. Like another poster said, what a headache!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Devious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)