Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your child's first name has an apostrophe in it....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 299 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why? I'm just curious. I saw a little girl tonight with a name tag on that said, "De'yana." Why the apostrophe?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Mine does, it's to make sure they say the end part of it right. I don't spell it like that anymore though. :P

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Because they can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM
2 moms liked this
FFS, is that a "creative" spelling of Deanna??
cueballsmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes it changes how you say the word. My dd has a hyphen Lori-Anne. So you say them separately. Her name is not Loraine, see.
Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM
My girls were named after family, I put the apostrophes in it to "separate" the names. Their names are De'Avia (she was named after her Aunt Dee and grandpa LeeAvia). I also have Mar'Cayla An'Joel (she was named after her grandma Margaret and her Great Aunt Cay, her middle name is from her great Aunts Julie Ann and Rebecca Jo, my other daughter wanted to call her Angel, so we compromised.) their grandparents are deceased and so is their Great Aunt Rebecca Jo.
mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

my name is kosha' like tosha but a k and the reason its there is so the O is pronounced like awe instead of O, cause the original spelling of my name is Kasha which would make a lot of sence just saying lol

little.knickers
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:09 AM
18 moms liked this
I don't understand. I always thought an apostrophe replaces a missing letter. It doesn't separate words. A hyphen does that?

Quoting Momof2angels88:

My girls were named after family, I put the apostrophes in it to "separate" the names. Their names are De'Avia (she was named after her Aunt Dee and grandpa LeeAvia). I also have Mar'Cayla An'Joel (she was named after her grandma Margaret and her Great Aunt Cay, her middle name is from her great Aunts Julie Ann and Rebecca Jo, my other daughter wanted to call her Angel, so we compromised.) their grandparents are deceased and so is their Great Aunt Rebecca Jo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM

My little step-cousin has a name like that. Her name is Shan'Elle. Don't ask me why her BM named her like that. I like it though. Its different, and unique.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
StrawberryCool
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
But dont people still pronounce it has that?

Quoting cueballsmom:

Sometimes it changes how you say the word. My dd has a hyphen Lori-Anne. So you say them separately. Her name is not Loraine, see.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
19 moms liked this

maybe the pen slipped on the birth certificate?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN