Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

And I'm still going strong. Caffiene is a wonderful thing when you have a sick kiddo at home. My poor LO has the flu and its stressing me out something fierce. Her temp will NOT go below 101*, and the lowest its been today was 101.3, and that was almost 12 hours ago! She had an episode where her temp went up to 103.8, and I put her in a lukewarm bath, which helped a little bit, but since then her temp has stayed at 101.

How dangerous is that? Is that a serious temp to be stuck at? Every site that I have Googled said to seek immediate medical attention. I'm having to literally remind her to drink fluids ( she has a cup full of Gatorade and water sitting beside her  ). She doesn't even have the energy to go to the bathroom. I had to almost carry her in there a while ago so she could pee. She did pee a normal amount though so I don't think she is dehydrated.

My main concern is the temp issue. How high is too high? Is 101 or higher a dangerous temp to be stuck at for almost 12 hours?

DD is 7 years old, and I am alternating Tylenol and Advil, and she has a cool cloth on her head that I am keeping damp with cool water every few minutes.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Replies (11-19):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM

They didn't give her Tamiflu? OR has it been longer than 2 days since her symptons appeared?

Quoting maryjmom:

I took her to the doctor early this morning, and she was diagnosed with the flu then.

Quoting Sassy762:

Just keeping alternating Tylenol and Motrin. If her temp is still high in the morning....I would take her to the pediatrican...GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I was told with my kids if its more then 103 then you need to go but as an adult its 105. When i was a kid i had a fever of 105 every week i lived in the hospital for 2 years no one knew why.

Quoting maryjmom:

I always thought if your fever got that high, you needed the ER. Everything I've Googled said the same thing, especially for a child of DD's age.

Quoting Anonymous:

Youre doing fine. What can actually break a fever is a luke warm bath with vineger. My ds had a fever and a family member suggested it and his fever was down in a hour. I just got over the flu my fever sat between 101-103 for 48hrs.

maryjmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they did. She takes 2 teaspoon fulls twice a day for 5 days.

Quoting Sassy762:

They didn't give her Tamiflu? OR has it been longer than 2 days since her symptons appeared?

Quoting maryjmom:

I took her to the doctor early this morning, and she was diagnosed with the flu then.

Quoting Sassy762:

Just keeping alternating Tylenol and Motrin. If her temp is still high in the morning....I would take her to the pediatrican...GL

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I understand...even with having six if one gets sick I worry. My oldest is on her own now and she's sick with the flu...I asked her if she had all the basics...lemon juice,honey,garlic,chicken soup,cough drops,motrin,tissues etc... and she laughed and said all but,the garlic and soup. : )

A temp of 101 is something to keep an eye on but,as long as she's sleeping ok,eating and drinking some and is not becoming lethargic,she is probably alright. The fever does help her fight...kind of like heating something to make sure the germs are gone. Besides what I told my daughter...add dry toast,cheerios,chex....it may help an upset tummy.

I hope she feels better real soon.

Quoting maryjmom:

I just don't want anything to happen to her. I always over react when she gets sick, and people always tell me to just calm down, but DD is my only child, and I would die if anything ever happened to her.

Quoting cjsix:

Her temp should be fine Momma,as long as she is comfortable etc...the fever is her body fighting what is making her sick.

maryjmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM

The legarthic part is what is scaring me. She has no energy at all. I kid you not, she has been laying on the couch since we came in from the doctor at a little after noon today! The only time she has gotten up was to go pee a little bit ago, and even then, I had to help her up and into the bathroom. She just started crying, saying that her stomach was hurting her * so really bad * to the point of she was doubling over. She's not wanting to drink a lot, but I'm making her drink plently of fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Quoting cjsix:

I understand...even with having six if one gets sick I worry. My oldest is on her own now and she's sick with the flu...I asked her if she had all the basics...lemon juice,honey,garlic,chicken soup,cough drops,motrin,tissues etc... and she laughed and said all but,the garlic and soup. : )

A temp of 101 is something to keep an eye on but,as long as she's sleeping ok,eating and drinking some and is not becoming lethargic,she is probably alright. The fever does help her fight...kind of like heating something to make sure the germs are gone. Besides what I told my daughter...add dry toast,cheerios,chex....it may help an upset tummy.

Quoting maryjmom:

I just don't want anything to happen to her. I always over react when she gets sick, and people always tell me to just calm down, but DD is my only child, and I would die if anything ever happened to her.

Quoting cjsix:

Her temp should be fine Momma,as long as she is comfortable etc...the fever is her body fighting what is making her sick.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Try skin to skin. I'm not talking full on naked though.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:57 AM

She sounds like a typical sick little girl. Keep encouraging her to drink a sip or two off and on...better to do little sips and have it stay down than to drink too much and throw up. You might try a warm cloth or a heating pad on low and covered on her tummy where it hurts and see if that doesn't help a little bit.

Mine just want to lay around too when they are real sick. We haven't dealt with the flu but,strep and bronchitis,along with upset tummies. I have had all three of my younger ones (14,18 and 10) a couple times over the past two years have "slumber parties" on the family room floor with all of their blankets and pillows piled together while sick. They all got sick within a day or so of each other. Juiceboxes,sippee cups(yes,sippee cups so they don't spill...lol!) along with movies for a couple days and they were fine. They wanted to be downstairs near Mom.

Quoting maryjmom:

The legarthic part is what is scaring me. She has no energy at all. I kid you not, she has been laying on the couch since we came in from the doctor at a little after noon today! The only time she has gotten up was to go pee a little bit ago, and even then, I had to help her up and into the bathroom. She just started crying, saying that her stomach was hurting her * so really bad * to the point of she was doubling over. She's not wanting to drink a lot, but I'm making her drink plently of fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Quoting cjsix:

Quoting maryjmom:

Quoting cjsix:

humblemommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Poor baby:( I hope she feels better...I would call her doctor in the morning if she doesn't improve...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Nothing you describe sounds out of the ordinary. She's sick. She's a kid. These things happen. Her fever isn't too high. Just keep doing what you are doing, minus the panic, and it will all be fine. Relax. You just have a sick kid. Don't freak out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN