Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you get food stamps...and large tax return..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Have you considered getting off of foodstamps and using the cash from your tax return to grocery shop with?

I just ask because I know a girl who gets $600.00 per month in food stamps, and is getting $8400.00 back from her taxes...

So $600.00 x 12 months is $7200.00

She could get off of assistance and use "her" money to provide food.

But.

She's going on a cruise instead. Sigh.

Mind=Blown
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Replies (311-320):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 87 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I swear. It is people like that, who abuse the system, lie like the dogs they are, and committ fraud that are what's wrong with this country,and the reason why it is going broke. People like that need to be reported both to Welfare, and the IRS, for fraud, and let the chips fall where they may.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 88 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM
How is she getting so much in food and so much back! Crap we get that in food for a.family of 6.(we had a.house fire and lost our house and everything we owned, and hubby lost his job) but we are only getting 3032 back. And 2000 is going to stuff I need for school so I can provide better for my family. But until then I need help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 89 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I feel they should make laws where it goes right back to the federal government., just like in bankruptcy.  You do not get to keep any leftover money, end of story.  If you are on FS, you are broke, so it should be treated that way.  You do not keep what you don't earn.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 90 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

we use ours to usually pay bills...we get ONE spulrge and thats it...this year it will be a family trip to st.louis to go to the zoo up there...but other than that..we save for bills esp since DF is sitll on furload with the railroad and is having troubles finding something steady in the meantime.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
We pay taxes, have no assistance and can't afford a cruise. Why does she deserve a cruise with money she didnt work for? And before you say Im just jealous, we could afford a cruise but feel things like college funds and emergency funds and retirement are more important. So to answer your question, no I dont feel she deserves a cruise with money she didnt work for.

Quoting momofourmonkeys:

Quoting macbudsmom:

No WE are making sure her family has food and is provided for.

And secondly she DOESNT NEED the assistance if she can afford to go on a cruise!!!

Quoting momofourmonkeys:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't get food stamps or any state assistance and we don't get nearly that much back, we might get a couple grand back but we use that to put in savings for when DH gets laid off during the winter every year or to play catch up if we get behind. I totally agree with you though. If she is getting back that much she should use it to provide for her family and not for a trip.

Totally NOT your call to make.  You have no idea what this woman does or doesn't do to provide for her family.  We as mothers need to care for ourselves as well and a little trip never hurt anyone.  I'm always being told to have "me time" it will help my family because I can relax and get time away.  By her accepting assistance ( whether or not your pride thinks it's right or you qualify) she is taking responsibility and providing.  She is making sure her family has food.  The assistance is there for people who need it and a one time payout, most of what was taken by the government in the first place, doesn't count as being "income".  She may also be paying debts and other things, you really don't know all of the situation from someone's one-sided post.

By her using the taxes to take a cruise, she most likely can't afford a cruise at any other time.  Should she not vacation then since she's on assistance?  A lot of people (not saying all by any means) on assistance do work hard and are still unable to provide a substantial living.  Unfortunately the economy has screwed a lot of us and more people seem to be using government assistance now than ever.  But just because she uses it to take a cruise doesn't mean she has it to do any other time.  Her needing assistance is totally seperate from what she gets back in her refund.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aurorarosepsych
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Then I would be suing h and r cause you should be getting something back

Quoting Anonymous:

H&R Block did them. I don't owe anyone any money and nobody claimed me.

Quoting Anonymous:

wow something is wrong there, shoot should have let me do your taxes, I would only charge 20 and I would make sure you get your credit, my daughter had me do hers, she finaly qualifies for eic, she has no kids but if your income is under a certain amount and hers is and has been, once your 25 yrs old you can get the single person eic, mind you its not near as much as if you had a child but it was over 300 just for eic and then she got over 1k , she is also not on public assistance, she has a apartment and pays her bills like any other non pa does and she got money back, who did YOUR taxes? that is horrible, im so sorry you had to pay in, makes no sence with eic (and also with just getting your taxes you put in back) you dont need to be on welfare to get back money, and I know whoever did yours is doing something wrong because I just did daughters last week. Unless you owe child support, or back taxes or owe any type of government  or student grants? loans? anything???? cause then they can just take them other wise you should have someone else look into your taxes. oh wait, how old are your kids? over 18 and done with school?  even if they are over 18 but in school still I believe you still can get a refund, any way, so sorry :( please have your taxes checked by someone, doubt u can do anything about it now but then you will know for next year. oh wait, can someone else claim you and the kids on their tax return? a husband? boyfriend? parents? because if someone else is claiming you guys or at least your kids that is why you cant get any money, someone else is already getting it. had a friend whos ex husband who she didnt live with neither did the kids live with him, he claimed  the kids and filled before she did and when she called the irs (and many hours of just trying to get a hold of a real person) and told them, they said there is nothing they culd do, whoever filled first  and got the return is who keeps it since they already paid them, and the next year to make sure she has court papers saying she has full custody and also file before him. sad right? any way, if you have a husband why did you not file together? or does he make too much and he used the kids so he didnt owe? the government wont pay 2 people for the same children seperately. Im wracking my brain here trying to fgure this out, I always just did my taxes myself, even when married as it was pretty simple, and once I got a computer always went to a online place that was free and filed. its not hard to do them yourself, Ithought it would be before I ever tried but a friend told me it is easy and she knew I could do it and she was right (it just seems very complicated) so it really bothers me if someone is ripping you off, if they arent and there is a legit reason you got no refund thats ok, but if you have the right to file and claim your 2 children and owe no one money then somehting is wrong

Quoting Anonymous:

I made less than 5 grand last year. I do not get state assistance. I have 2 kids. I paid $40 to have my taxes done, and have to pay in $16.

moneysaver6
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM
What I meant by the "true" working poor is that they are those who work full-time but are actually struggling. (As opposed to those who work but receive government assistance and thus don't really struggle.)

They're the people you described. Those who make too much to qualify, but suddenly must pay for everything themselves plus pay taxes...yet are only a mere couple thousand per year (if that) above the limits for assistance.

Quoting HotJerZMama:

I don't know what your definition of "working poor" is but there is an entire class of people that are working poor but do not qualify for assistance because they just missed the income limits by a thread. So for example, say you have a family of 4 and the income level for foodstamps is $30000 per year (this is hypothetical). But if you make $32000 per year you don't qualify for the assistance but you're still unable to afford the food because that extra $2000 only equates to about an extra $72 per paycheck if you get paid bi-weekly and that's before taxes. So I agree with moneysaver6 (although i dont know what she meant by "true" working poor) because there are plenty of people that work their butts off at their jobs but are dirt poor because they missed the income limits by a hair. That's not an opinion that's a fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol that's your opinion and it's not supported by the definition of "working poor".

Quoting moneysaver6:

The true "working poor" doesn't qualify for any assistance.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Before applying this only to groceries, I think it's prudent to remember that just because a family qualifies for food assistance, doesn't mean everyone in the house applies for other assistance - like housing or medical. Some may choose to use the refund to put aside for their own medical expenses because perhaps only the children in the house qualify for medical, or to pay their rent ahead because they live in a higher cost of living area but do not qualify for housing (or the housing lists are closed because of demand - which is happening in many places), or to pay ahead for childcare because (again) many areas have closed the lists for child care assistance. I think this is where we get into the debate about "the working poor" - those who work fulltime but do not make enough to provide all necessities for everyone in the home, necessities that enable them to work and be productive members of society.

moneysaver6
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I actually never said any income amount...the other person who replied did. So no, according to me...that's not how it would be.

Those who are receiving government assistance are NOT the true working poor as they are having a good portion of their bills paid. The true working poor receives no government assistance.

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said those people weren't "working poor", what I said is stating that the "true working poor" don't receive assistance was not a true definition. The definition of working poor is people who work full time but are still living in poverty or struggling to survive. Whether they qualify for government assistance or not doesn't matter, I never implied it did.

ETA - according to moneysaver6 a family of 4 making $32,000 does receive government assistance when they receive EIC, which they do qualify for.

Quoting HotJerZMama:

I don't know what your definition of "working poor" is but there is an entire class of people that are working poor but do not qualify for assistance because they just missed the income limits by a thread. So for example, say you have a family of 4 and the income level for foodstamps is $30000 per year (this is hypothetical). But if you make $32000 per year you don't qualify for the assistance but you're still unable to afford the food because that extra $2000 only equates to about an extra $72 per paycheck if you get paid bi-weekly and that's before taxes. So I agree with moneysaver6 because there are plenty of people that work their butts off at their jobs but are dirt poor because they missed the income limits by a hair. That's not an opinion that's a fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol that's your opinion and it's not supported by the definition of "working poor".

Quoting moneysaver6:

The true "working poor" doesn't qualify for any assistance.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Before applying this only to groceries, I think it's prudent to remember that just because a family qualifies for food assistance, doesn't mean everyone in the house applies for other assistance - like housing or medical. Some may choose to use the refund to put aside for their own medical expenses because perhaps only the children in the house qualify for medical, or to pay their rent ahead because they live in a higher cost of living area but do not qualify for housing (or the housing lists are closed because of demand - which is happening in many places), or to pay ahead for childcare because (again) many areas have closed the lists for child care assistance. I think this is where we get into the debate about "the working poor" - those who work fulltime but do not make enough to provide all necessities for everyone in the home, necessities that enable them to work and be productive members of society.

moneysaver6
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM
No, it is a credit which, unlike a deduction, doesn't reduce your taxable income, but directly lowers the amount of taxes which you owe. It IS a refundable credit to some, but not all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss_lisa:

Lol oops, hit reply before I typed.

So do you consider the child tax credit government assistance? The income limits are higher however you receive less or no credit the more you make. So it is means tested. I'm betting you receive the child tax credit though. It is also refundable like EIC.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Because it is. It's not earned income. It is a means-tested program just like all other forms of government assistance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you classify it as government assistance?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Where did I say anything about them paying taxes? I simply said it was government assistance. .

Quoting Anonymous:

Simply because someone receives the EIC doesn't mean they don't pay taxes. It's a refundable tax credit, depending in their income and the number of kids a person has their EIC could be as little as a couple hundred dollars.

Quoting moneysaver6:

EIC is a form of government assistance.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

lol actually we don't but thanks for playing.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Then you are receiving some form of government assistance.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

weare,we get no kind of assistance and we qualify for EIC.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. That's why I said "100% self-supporting". Someone who is receiving EIC is not 100% self-supporting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting moneysaver6:

There's nothing wrong with people spending their refunds on whatever they so desire if they are 100% self-supporting. It's their money.

Quoting momofourmonkeys:

We're not going on a cruise, but we use our taxes to pay our rent ahead and pay back anything owed.  Government assistance is there for people who need it.  Just because she gets a larger refund doesn't mean she won't qualify OR need the assistance later on.  If she wants to use some of the money to take a cruise, that's her perogative.  I don't think it's fair to say your mind is blown because it implies you're judging her.  If she works hard and wants to "treat" herself when her taxes come, then she has the right to do so.

On the other hand, I don't agree with people being completely irresponsible with their refunds but then again it's not my money to spend.

Why yes, if they are earning over 52K it IS their money. If not it could be NOT their money.  Depending on the number of kids they have...

There is a subtle difference though (and I do NOT qualify for the child tax credit) The child tax credit is intended to be temporary-put into place to revive the economy. Eic was put into place AS A FORM OF PA. It was initiated during the welfare reform of the 1970's. To offset the payroll taxes the newly employed would be getting-to make it mor profitable for them to work. It has since expanded way the hell out of control.

Oh and is the child tax credit refundable? Because if it is not-it would opnly be a deduction.

moneysaver6
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM
It is only refundable to those under a certain income level.

Quoting miss_lisa:

The child tax credit is not temporary, it started in 1997 and has grown since then. It is refundable.

I do not qualify for it either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss_lisa:

Lol oops, hit reply before I typed.

So do you consider the child tax credit government assistance? The income limits are higher however you receive less or no credit the more you make. So it is means tested. I'm betting you receive the child tax credit though. It is also refundable like EIC.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Because it is. It's not earned income. It is a means-tested program just like all other forms of government assistance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you classify it as government assistance?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Where did I say anything about them paying taxes? I simply said it was government assistance. .

Quoting Anonymous:

Simply because someone receives the EIC doesn't mean they don't pay taxes. It's a refundable tax credit, depending in their income and the number of kids a person has their EIC could be as little as a couple hundred dollars.

Quoting moneysaver6:

EIC is a form of government assistance.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

lol actually we don't but thanks for playing.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Then you are receiving some form of government assistance.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

weare,we get no kind of assistance and we qualify for EIC.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Yup. That's why I said "100% self-supporting". Someone who is receiving EIC is not 100% self-supporting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting moneysaver6:

There's nothing wrong with people spending their refunds on whatever they so desire if they are 100% self-supporting. It's their money.

Quoting momofourmonkeys:

We're not going on a cruise, but we use our taxes to pay our rent ahead and pay back anything owed.  Government assistance is there for people who need it.  Just because she gets a larger refund doesn't mean she won't qualify OR need the assistance later on.  If she wants to use some of the money to take a cruise, that's her perogative.  I don't think it's fair to say your mind is blown because it implies you're judging her.  If she works hard and wants to "treat" herself when her taxes come, then she has the right to do so.

On the other hand, I don't agree with people being completely irresponsible with their refunds but then again it's not my money to spend.

Why yes, if they are earning over 52K it IS their money. If not it could be NOT their money.  Depending on the number of kids they have...

There is a subtle difference though (and I do NOT qualify for the child tax credit) The child tax credit is intended to be temporary-put into place to revive the economy. Eic was put into place AS A FORM OF PA. It was initiated during the welfare reform of the 1970's. To offset the payroll taxes the newly employed would be getting-to make it mor profitable for them to work. It has since expanded way the hell out of control.

Oh and is the child tax credit refundable? Because if it is not-it would opnly be a deduction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN