Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

costs more to be poor?...

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 80 Replies
My sister and I were pondering this question this morning. The conclusion is yes, it costs more to be poor.
One way is transportation. When an oil change is due and u have no $, u have to wait then it may cost more bc other things may go wrong
Another way it costs more is utilitiy bills. When u can't pay on time, u may get a late fee or if disconnected, a reconnection fee
So, I'm asking, what other ways can u ladies come up with that it costs more to be poor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
3 moms liked this

In my opinion the cost of eating crappy food because you're poor is pretty high. I'm so lucky to have a community with healthy food for low income people.

Kimsundaram
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
If ya can't get a bank account for some reason n use like pay day loans n check cashing places :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tossed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM

It cost more because you don't have the extra dollars to pay for high energy efficient appliances.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Dr. appointments are outrageous When you have no health insurance
mommy2annaliese
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Where is this!?

Quoting lalaboosh:

In my opinion the cost of eating crappy food because you're poor is pretty high. I'm so lucky to have a community with healthy food for low income people.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are low income, your credit is going to be lower than that of someone with a high income, which means that when you buy a car, take out a loan etc, you will pay more for that item  than someone who is able to finance with zero or low interest, or who can pay in cash.

I've had this discussion before with my husband, not long ago, actually.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM
3 moms liked this

the poor are more likely to be steered toward subprime lending.

gabby416
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The only reason it costs more to be poor, is because you are poor.  Been there done that and I'll be damned if I ever end up in that lifestyle again.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM

It does.  From check cashing places, to those that have a bank account but can't keep a minimum balance.  To not being able to buy larger quantities of food that is less per pound/ounce.  Single ticket bus/subway rides instead of monthly passes.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You can change your own oil.

Utility companies have low income assistant programs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)